Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Going to Utah in August

Real Name
    Paul

Going to Utah in August

I will be taking a vacation in late August and will be visiting Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks, which I'm really looking forward to. We will be flying into Vegas and drive on I15 to Utah. And from what Ive seen, its magnificent desolation.

For anyone who has already visited either location, are there any particular spots in both parks that I should venture to or are there any spots off the beaten path that I should check out?

Real Name
    David

Re: Going to Utah in August

Paul - I visited both places many years ago, pre-digital. There are so many spots to take shots from that you won't have any difficulty finding smart sites. I recall that there are a couple of look-out stations on the rim of Bryce Canyon that give fantastic over views. At Zion there is an incredible waterfall - not to be missed. Some long exposure shots would be useful. In both locations watch out for fellow travellers. They can get in the road of the shot you've so painstakingly set up.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Pops

One place that many visitors miss when visiting that area is Cathedral Gorge, just outside of Panaca, Nevada. I grew up in Boulder City, Nevada (about 25 miles from Las Vegas) and spent quite a bit of time in the area you will be visiting. You will recognize much of the valley if you are a fan of the old Western movies of the 40s and 50s.

http://www.stateparks.com/cathedral_gorge.html

Pops

Real Name
    John

I was in Las Vegas last autumn and traveled through the last town on route 66, William, Arizona and yes this area is a colorful area to vist. You get the chance to photograph every possible theme imaginable landscape, architecture, candid, closeup, etc. Be prepared for every possible photographic challenge imaginable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    One place that many visitors miss when visiting that area is Cathedral Gorge, just outside of Panaca, Nevada. I grew up in Boulder City, Nevada (about 25 miles from Las Vegas) and spent quite a bit of time in the area you will be visiting. You will recognize much of the valley if you are a fan of the old Western movies of the 40s and 50s.

http://www.stateparks.com/cathedral_gorge.html

Pops