Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact system which one??

Compact system which one??

I currently have a canon 60d and a fuji x10.

I would like a compact system camera pref aps-c that u can take into gigs and use for parties and functions etc.

The x10 is struggling and image and focus not best in low light

Ideally one that could use a canon 50mm 1.8 (with converter )
    And one that has a built in flash or bundled .
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by macca1980; 19th May 2014 at 01:05 PM.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: Compact system which one??

Might take a look at the Canon EOS, good deal here at B@H
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_18_55.html

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    Might take a look at the Canon EOS, good deal here at B@H
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_18_55.html
    I heard autofocus as slow as a dslr in live view

Real Name
    John

Depends on what you want to spend. The X20 was a great improvement on the X10 or since you have described your need as a "system", there are some real bargains around for the Fuji series at the moment. I wouldn't touch the X Pro1 even at the current low price because its performance has now been bettered by the likes of the XE1 and XE2. These are currently available with lenses thrown in and something like the 35mm f1.4 prime (50mm FF equ.) with Fuji's X Tran noise performance, would be fast enough for your Gig work.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Quote Originally Posted by macca1980 View Post
    I heard autofocus as slow as a dslr in live view
    Canon notes in the specifications that the EOS M does not support continuous autofocusing when fitted with EF lense and yes the AF speed is a little slower with the native lenses, but when you half-press the shutter the initial phase detect process may be pretty fast, but it's the second contrast detect fine tuning bit that adds to the overall lag. But if you can live with the lack of speed and continuous AF for stills it's a great camera.

Real Name
    Kathy

Forget about using the 50/1.8 II on any mirrorless system. It has no aperture ring, so there's no aperture control, and you can only shoot wide open, where the 50/1.8 II is at its absolute softest (sweet spot on that lens is closer to f/4-5.6). And focusing that puppy manually absolutely sucks because of how imprecise and tiny the MF ring at the front of the lens is. If the lens is an FD/FL-mount, not EOS, however, you can use it on any mirrorless.

For autofocus performance the MFT EM-1 is probably your best bet, but at the expense of high ISO noise performance and color rendition that the Fuji X system can do. So you are going to have to compromise depending on what your higher priority is: noise and color or autofocus. You can't have it all, just yet, with mirrorless.

Personally? Given that getting an entire new system is expensive, mirrorless or not, and you want to reuse one of the cheapest lenses Canon makes, if budget is a big issue here, my recommendation would simply be to get a Canon SL1/100D as your go-light body. No new system to get into, that way. And maybe invest in a 40/2.8 STM if you need a tiny lens. It's sharper than the 50/1.8 II @ f/2.8.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post

.....................For autofocus performance the MFT EM-1 is probably your best bet, but at the expense of high ISO noise performance and color rendition that the Fuji X system can do. So you are going to have to compromise depending on what your higher priority is: noise and color or autofocus. You can't have it all, just yet, with mirrorless........................
    I would have to agree that the MFT EM-1 probably has the fastest auto focus but these days, the XE-2 and certainly the XT-1 come pretty damn close and you have to ask when better is good enough. The reputation the X Pro1 gained for the X series cameras has long since gone and so you can get pretty close to having it all.

Yeah prob give the eos m a miss . Looking for maybe a nex or nx. Possibly a olympus pen or lumix but rather have aps-c than 4/3 to be honest.

It will prob replace my fuji x10 not decided yet.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    ... so you can get pretty close to having it all.
    Yeah, it's getting a lot closer. But I do bird in flight photography, so from what I've been reading about the EM-1 and my experience with the PDAF in a rented X100S [which I'd gather is a similar improvement to what went into the XE2], for my needs, it's not quite there, yet (not to mention the lenses). And I know how that same AF responsiveness translates for low-light stage shooting. It's still a stress case that not a lot of cameras can handle gracefully, mirrorless or not.

Real Name
    John

This just about sums it up for me. It's an extract from a comparison carried out by Camera Labs:

At the time of writing the X-T1 body was a little cheaper than the OMD EM1, but add a lens and any significant difference could be eroded. Photographers without specific requirements will inevitably be drawn to the X-T1 with its superior image quality, bigger viewfinder and better continuous AF, but others will prefer the EM1's broader lens catalogue, built-in stabilisation, faster single AF and touch-screen. I'm sorry to disappoint you but I can't say one is definitively better than the other. Both are excellent choices and a decision between them should involve comparing their feature-sets and capabilities very closely to see which best matches your style of photography.

The last sentence in particular has got to ring true.

Forget about using the 50/1.8 II on any mirrorless system. It has no aperture ring, so there's no aperture control, and you can only shoot wide open, where the 50/1.8 II is at its absolute softest (sweet spot on that lens is closer to f/4-5.6). And focusing that puppy manually absolutely sucks because of how imprecise and tiny the MF ring at the front of the lens is. If the lens is an FD/FL-mount, not EOS, however, you can use it on any mirrorless.

For autofocus performance the MFT EM-1 is probably your best bet, but at the expense of high ISO noise performance and color rendition that the Fuji X system can do. So you are going to have to compromise depending on what your higher priority is: noise and color or autofocus. You can't have it all, just yet, with mirrorless.

Personally? Given that getting an entire new system is expensive, mirrorless or not, and you want to reuse one of the cheapest lenses Canon makes, if budget is a big issue here, my recommendation would simply be to get a Canon SL1/100D as your go-light body. No new system to get into, that way. And maybe invest in a 40/2.8 STM if you need a tiny lens. It's sharper than the 50/1.8 II @ f/2.8.
    I didn't realise there was this problem with the 50mm, sorry I'm a csc noob. So the fd lenses will work on any csc? That sounds inviting.

In looking for a smaller camera than 100D as I want to be able to take into gigs etc without being questioned & small enough keep drawing attention to a minimum when doing street etc.

I know I am probably asking a lot & I do like the x10 but looking for a larger sensor for low light.
    If FD lenses work on csc without much hassle that's a bonus, could get a couple of cheap primes.

Any csc have focus peaking for manual lens??

Real Name
    Kathy

I didn't realise there was this problem with the 50mm, sorry I'm a csc noob. So the fd lenses will work on any csc? That sounds inviting. ... If FD lenses work on csc without much hassle that's a bonus, could get a couple of cheap primes.
    Any film-era SLR lens with an aperture ring can be used on most mirrorless cameras. However. You will not have autofocus. You will not have aperture control from the camera body (you can only shoot in M or aperture-priority modes), and your camera must be able to accurately perform stop-down metering, or you can't rely on the metering, either. Forget about AF. Forget about lens information in the EXIF. Using adapted lenses is a PITA. Some folks like to go there (raises hand), but it's not for everyone. And in the case of using an SLR lens with a mirrorless--you typically negate whatever size/weight advantage you gained from going with the smaller system by adding an SLR lens onto it. You want to do a lot of research before going there. This is not a decision to take casually. Native mount lenses are still going to be a better buy if you want small size and good AF performance; not to mention a better fit focal-length/FoV-wise with an APS-C or 4/3 sensor.

Wide and fast cost in vintage lenses just like they do with current ones.

Any csc have focus peaking for manual lens??
    Focus peaking typically doesn't depend on the lens. Hell, you can focus peak on Canon with manual lenses if you add Magic Lantern.

The Sony NEXs all have it, the OM-Ds are starting to. The GX-7 has it. The Fuji X bodies, iirc have it with firmware updates. So, yes, there are CSCs that have this.
    Last edited by inkista; 22nd May 2014 at 11:48 PM.

What does pita mean?

Real Name
    Kathy

Pain In The Ass.

Real Name
    Pete

Yeah, it's getting a lot closer. But I do bird in flight photography, so from what I've been reading about the EM-1 and my experience with the PDAF in a rented X100S [which I'd gather is a similar improvement to what went into the XE2], for my needs, it's not quite there, yet (not to mention the lenses). And I know how that same AF responsiveness translates for low-light stage shooting. It's still a stress case that not a lot of cameras can handle gracefully, mirrorless or not.
    Kathy

The best AF in a mirrorless camera will be the Nikon's if you want focus tracking..... obviously they have a much smaller sensor......

I'll be interested to see how the GH4 does for AF. It's low light focus is meant to be fast...... but will the new DFD work for tracking moving objects. A friend picked one up today.........

Incidentally the Camerastore are doing a video comparing the GH4, A6000 and XT1 for fastest Autofocus in a mirrorless. Should be up soon I think.

As to the Fuji's. The X100s/XE2 is meant to be slower than the XT1 but there may have been a firmware update for the XE2. I've heard mixed reports about the x100s for AF. Got to love the images though.

I had to smile at the original posters comment about prefering an APSC sensor based on reviews of the 18mp canon sensor.

Anyway my suggestion for the original poster would be the Sony A6000. Stick on that Zeiss 32 f1.8? Gives a nice 50mm equivalent. It's small, good image quality, supposedly good AF and the lens is nice.

This should give some ideas on IQ http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...c-gh4A.HTM#IQC

I know it's about the GH4 but there are comparisons to the 70d, A6000 and EM1 which may help the original poster

Pain In The Ass.
    Haha.. I thought it was some unheard of photography term

Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    Kathy

The best AF in a mirrorless camera will be the Nikon's if you want focus tracking..... obviously they have a much smaller sensor......

I'll be interested to see how the GH4 does for AF. It's low light focus is meant to be fast...... but will the new DFD work for tracking moving objects. A friend picked one up today.........

Incidentally the Camerastore are doing a video comparing the GH4, A6000 and XT1 for fastest Autofocus in a mirrorless. Should be up soon I think.

As to the Fuji's. The X100s/XE2 is meant to be slower than the XT1 but there may have been a firmware update for the XE2. I've heard mixed reports about the x100s for AF. Got to love the images though.

I had to smile at the original posters comment about prefering an APSC sensor based on reviews of the 18mp canon sensor.

Anyway my suggestion for the original poster would be the Sony A6000. Stick on that Zeiss 32 f1.8? Gives a nice 50mm equivalent. It's small, good image quality, supposedly good AF and the lens is nice.

This should give some ideas on IQ http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...c-gh4A.HTM#IQC

I know it's about the GH4 but there are comparisons to the 70d, A6000 and EM1 which may help the original poster
    Hi I wasn't basing on canon reviews but thought the larger the sensor the better the image . I will have a look at the sony you mentioned tho.
    Thanks for advice

Real Name
    Pete

Hi I wasn't basing on canon reviews but thought the larger the sensor the better the image . I will have a look at the sony you mentioned tho.
    Thanks for advice
    well yes true

given you are worried about low light consider the fujis

if you live in the uk hireacamera will let you hire for instance a Fuji XE2 and Sony a6000....... and lenses

Compact system which one??

Thanks got all advice folks

Real Name
    John

Spotted this today in case you're interested:

http://www.fujirumors.com/hold-buy-1...y-25th-200off/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast