Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 17-50 f2.8 DC: User report as promised

Real Name
    Dan

Sigma 17-50 f2.8 DC: User report as promised

In another thread a while back I mentioned that I had purchased my first Sigma lens in several years, the 17-50mm f2.8 DC for use on my Nikon D7100. The lens received good test scores on several sites and was in the focal range I needed so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was replacing Nikon's competing DX model, the 16-85, due to being displeased with it.

One trepidation I had up front was a note in the Sigma lens compatibility chart on their website. It had this note in reference to compatibility with the D7100:
    The light on camera screen will disappear automatically about 1 minute after the total time of OS (Optical Stabilizer) connection and camera setting completion. Additionally, the image won’t continue to enlarge or scroll without pressing the multi-selector button repeatedly.
    Huh? I couldn't figure that out so to be cautious I ordered the lens from Amazon knowing they have a very liberal return policy.

When it showed up I was immediately encouraged by the build quality. Once attached to the camera everything seemed to be working properly. Still no clue what the note meant. Next I set it up to do a quick focus check on LensAlign. Since DOF is so wide at shorter zoom range and most critical focus situations would likely be at the long end of zoom, I just set it up at 50mm. It was back focusing badly. It required AFA setting of 17 of a possible adjustment of 20. That brought it into focus but for a brand new lens is too much adjustment IMO. So I decided it was going back. But first I wanted to see if the image quality was as hoped. If so, I'd send it back for exchange. If not, I'd just return it.

Bottom line is this. I took the lens out shooting and it looked good. Some of the shots of tulips are posted in another thread. But I figured out what the note meant. The OS doesn't turn off for a minute or so after releasing the shutter button. The result is that after shooting 150 frames or so over the course of half a day, my battery was already nearly dead. Bummer.

Lens is in transit

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Sigma 17-50 f2.8 DC: User report as promised

That bad....hmmmm...can you still use this in your other cameras?

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    That bad....hmmmm...can you still use this in your other cameras?
    It''s a cropped format lens and with the D7100 broken all I have is FF now. Though I'll either get the 7100 fixed or invest in the rumored APS-C pro body if/when it comes out. I debated whether to stick with it because for serious work I'd mostly be on a tripod and don't need the OS. But the point of that range is for a general purpose walkaround lens in which case the OS is rather useful. So I'm rethinking choices.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

I have almost the same lens for my Sony 580 it's the 18-50 f2.8 DC and have none of the problems you reported in fact it's my best walk around lens I have.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    I have almost the same lens for my Sony 580 it's the 18-50 f2.8 DC and have none of the problems you reported in fact it's my best walk around lens I have.
    Almost the same lens on a totally different camera.... Not sure what that has to do with this but congrats.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Almost the same lens on a totally different camera.... Not sure what that has to do with this but congrats.
    Yes I know this but was trying to figure why a different camera would impact the function of this lens in this way

Real Name
    Izzie

It''s a cropped format lens and with the D7100 broken all I have is FF now. Though I'll either get the 7100 fixed or invest in the rumored APS-C pro body if/when it comes out. I debated whether to stick with it because for serious work I'd mostly be on a tripod and don't need the OS. But the point of that range is for a general purpose walkaround lens in which case the OS is rather useful. So I'm rethinking choices.
    It is certainly nice to have even just one cropped sensor walk about too since you already have the lenses for them from the old days?...

Real Name
    Dan

Yes I know this but was trying to figure why a different camera would impact the function of this lens in this way
    Presumably firmware changes in the newer camera bodies. Sigma has a compatibility chart on their website. For this particular lens it had the same note for the latest generation of Nikon bodies. Fully compatible with prior gen cameras. It is a relatively new lens so presumably the troublesome bodies came out after the lens was designed.

Third party lenses becoming obsolete is an issue nowadays. Sigma has addressed it for their new, higher end lenses. They can be updated with firmware revisions. You have to buy a dock accessory to do so. Unfortunately this lens doesn't have that function.

It is certainly nice to have even just one cropped sensor walk about too since you already have the lenses for them from the old days?...
    Actually I only had this and one other cropped format lens. All of my others are full frame lenses. So that's really not an issue for me. I've been considering more if they offer a size/weight reduction. Otherwise might as well just have one set of FF lenses and use on both formats.

Real Name
    John

I am not a Sony user but I believe your camera has the image stabilization internal to the camera (it shifts the sensor) so Sigma Sony mount lenses don't have internal stabilization.

John

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Quote Originally Posted by PhotomanJohn View Post
    I am not a Sony user but I believe your camera has the image stabilization internal to the camera (it shifts the sensor) so Sigma Sony mount lenses don't have internal stabilization.

John
    Yes I check that and that would be right so it makes sense now

Real Name
    Izzie

Oh, I thought Nikon lenses have the stabilization not the camera. I have a 4/3 camera, an Oly which has camera stabilization...???

Real Name
    John

I always wonder why a lens may need focus corrections. Seems a bit strange other than response rates of the lens compared with what the camera expects. I've seen problems mentioned on Sigma lenses on Nikon before some where. In that case it wouldn't "fix" over a widish zoom range.

There is an interesting comment about this lens part way down this page on manual focusing., assuming it's the same one.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...-sigma175028os

Curiously this opposite direction thing goes on between manufactures of microscopes. Strange I haven't noticed any Canon Nikon differences. Probably because I might not remember which way to turn anyway.

John
    -

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

I was replacing Nikon's competing DX model, the 16-85, due to being displeased with it.
    Dan, I'm just curious - what was the problem with the Nikon 16-85?

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I would think the 17-50 might be up for the Sigma upgrade treatment soon. The 17-70 already has the contemporary version even though my older version was just @ 3 years old at the time. If you give up on the 17-50, you might want to check out the 17-70 C with usb dock. The older one is a mainstay for me.

Real Name
    John

Oh, I thought Nikon lenses have the stabilization not the camera.
    That is correct.

John

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Dan, I'm just curious - what was the problem with the Nikon 16-85?
    The IQ just doesn't old up under critical scrutiny. I used is for years and was fine with it for general purpose photography. But in the past couple of years I've started making a lot of large prints and when looked at in that regard, images from the 16-85 sometimes struggle.

Real Name
    John

As an avid reader of test reports I would question the use of even 3:1 wide angle zooms if some one is going to be critical of the results. Life gets more difficult as the focal lengths get shorter. Manufacturers make wide range zooms working from 17-18 to what ever because people buy them. At the sort of focal length you are looking at there is need to go down to 2:1 or there abouts. You will find these lenses in the manufacturers ranges. Also 3:1. By the time the wider angle view gets up to 24mm 3:1 can be fine eg Nikon's 24-70mm, when these lenses go to 105mm there are penalties usually at the longer end.

I mentioned 24 to on crop before. Some one looked at what they use and found that they seldom went wider but ideally people then need 2 lenses. It's a pity no one does a good 18mm prime., the Zeiss one is a bit dubious.

Get to 70mm and most know that 70-300mm can be good but weak at 300mm. 70-200mm another matter. Lenses basically are a bitch.

John
    -

Real Name
    Nauman Hameed

But I figured out what the note meant. The OS doesn't turn off for a minute or so after releasing the shutter button. The result is that after shooting 150 frames or so over the course of half a day, my battery was already nearly dead. Bummer.
    Just wondering whether the lens you had was with the firmware update required for Nikon D5300?

Real Name
    Nauman Hameed

Quote Originally Posted by nauman73 View Post
    Just wondering whether the lens you had was with the firmware update required for Nikon D5300?
    Sorry... Just realized the issue was discussed in context of D7100

Real Name
    Nauman Hameed

Did the OS turn off when you turned off your camera?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast