Real Name
    Steve

Re: Fiery Angel

And an extreme tonemapped version
    Fiery Angel

Real Name
    John

Nice image, I would crop out the tree or include more of it and you clipped the top of the angels wing. You've got some high exposure in the background that could be fixed in your graphics program. What type of lens did you use, did you shoot this with the camera rotated?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice image, I would crop out the tree or include more of it and you clipped the top of the angels wing. You've got some high exposure in the background that could be fixed in your graphics program. What type of lens did you use, did you shoot this with the camera rotated?
    Sorry I clipped the wing on purpose but it was my widest lens the 28mm equivalent to 45mm I think and it was the furthest I could get without getting arrested for being a nuisance or walking on the grass.

I'm not very good at judging the proportions for rule of thirds so end up having to crop a little in this case to stick the sword on a third. These are small images and in reality they are mega sharp with very fine detail.

I can't see any overexposure, looking at the histogram and it was tonemapped so either the program is misreporting exposure or there isn't any, it was bright though much brighter than the image shows.

There was a real EV span of 8.6 with a soft graduated GG2 filter attached which I suppose means true EV of 9.6 on my camera. Cheers

Real Name
    John

Arith,

This might be of interest if it isn't already a function on your camera. Of course always fun to do it by eye.

EOS 10D Ec-B Focusing Screen (Grid) US$84.39

Click to enlarge
    "Rule of Thirds" split image focusing screen for CANON EOS 10D.

Screen is produced by using canon Ec-B type.

Please refer to the description of Rule of Thirds.

Focus point is marked on focusing screen, please refer to the description for focusing point.

Please refer to the webpage of screen comparison for the description of Ec-B screen.

Focusing screens are custom made to order . Orders are being completed in 3-5 business days.

This product was added to our catalog on Monday 03 December, 2007.

www.focusingscreen.com

Real Name
    Steve

Cool stuff but I'm not good with tweezers, I find it difficult focussing on near objects. What I really need is a camera with a lot more pixels like a 7D. Got no money though and never have credit so I will struggle on. Cheers

I know that some people insist on doing everything by thirds; but for me, the world hasn't been created by thirds so it is better to work with and make the most of the background/foreground arrangement as it is instead of trying to force them to confirm with an unnatural theoretical ratio.

In this case, I would have preferred to shoot slightly more to the left and include approx half of the left side tree and the same on the right which would have better framed the angel. It would also have prevented having a split left hand bollard. And let the angel appear wherever it does.

With that light angle I think you did all you could by way of exposure on the original. If you had exposed any more you would have lost the sky colour.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes, it is an uninteresting picture and I got excited only because I was able to do it without being accosted. Normally I include more than one subject. If I took more of the left then there would be less on the right, in particular the sun. I used a photoshop filter to give a washed out look on the right, it is HDR but only three images 1 ev apart and that is I think the reason why it looks flat.
    You have made very good points, all of which I appreciate. cheers