Thread: Epson R3000 printing issue

Epson R3000 printing issue

I recently bought an Epson R3000, and installed from the outset the Permajet CIS system. Until today it has worked without a hitch. Today I printed a colour A3 image for the first time for some weeks (I've done a lot of A4 colour prints in the meantime - it hasn't been left standing). The first print had two small drops of cyan, about 1mm across, in rather obvious places. I reprinted, and had no repetition of the problem. I was using Canson Rag Photographique, so was using the front-loading tray for the first time in a while. I was using a custom profile, and the print otherwise looked great.

With the price of this paper, I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Has anyone experience of such a fault before, with this printer, CIS systems or third part inks? Any idea what might cause it? Is there any maintenance that can be done to avoid it?

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Re: Epson R3000 printing issue

I use Canon printers because I do know for a fact that Epson do try to stop third party ink use by altering the firmware when new drivers are installed, as yet Canon do not.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    I use Canon printers because I do know for a fact that Epson do try to stop third party ink use by altering the firmware when new drivers are installed, as yet Canon do not.
    I'm intrigued by the basis of you claiming that you 'know for a fact'. I'd be very interested in seeing the evidence for this as I've never come across it.

Anyway, to Paul's question. Sorry not to be able to offer some light on this one. I've never experienced the problem with my R3000.

Thanks, Donald - I'm hoping it's a one off.
    I've seen no sign of Epson drivers having a problem with my CIS. I never even installed the supplied Epson ink in the new printer, and the printer, as is usual, updated its drivers online after installation without a hitch.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Paul - something that struck me is that the issue could be related to the CIS system.

Normally there is very little ink in printer; most of it sits in the cartridge near the print heads.

Once you introduce a CIS system; there is a long tube takiing the ink from the CIS to the cartridge. If the temperature in the room rises, the additional pressure from the ink expanding in the supply line will "pressurize" the system, likely above and beyond the spec of the print head. This could lead to a small amount of leakage, as per what you have found.

Thanks, Manfred - sounds reasonable - I'll watch that next time.

May I divert this thread a bit?

Donald, as you have the same printer and you seem to be a B&W person, can you tell me how you print B&W:
    Do you use a custom profile or do you use Epson's built-in Advanced B&W Photo settings, as I have seen recommended by a number of others?
    And what sort of paper do you use: gloss, lustre, matt, fine art??
    I am happy with my colour printing, but not with my B&W prints. I have a calibrated screen and custom printer/paper/ink profiles, I soft-proof, but I still end up with much too heavily blocked shadows, even though I can see good detail in them on screen.
    I don't print much B&W, but I'd like to get it right when I do.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by LocalHero1953 View Post
    Do you use a custom profile or do you use Epson's built-in Advanced B&W Photo settings, as I have seen recommended by a number of others?
    I use the Advanced B & W. I think it's a great little tool.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalHero1953 View Post
    And what sort of paper do you use: gloss, lustre, matt, fine art??
    I haven't done a lot of testing with paper, but what I found I like for B & Ws is Permajet's FB Baryta Delta Matt 285. To me, it strikes a balance that I'm happy with between economy and quality.

Thanks, that gives me a direction to go in.