Thread: Critique Please - AFG after sunset

Real Name
    Jason Swanson

Critique Please - AFG after sunset

Please provide me some comments of constructive criticism. I had about 15 minutes to set up and take pictures while on break. I used my Canon EOS 70D with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, settings of ISO 800, f/4.0, shutter 0.6s, and 26mm focal length.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Re: Critique Please - AFG after sunset

Harsh but I see no point of interest

Real Name
    Jason Swanson

What do you mean by harsh? What would you have done differently? For me, was to capture the twilight sky as I am learning the functions of the camera in manual mode. I am just beginning to learn and this is one of my first pictures with the camera (other than a couple of moon shots I took). So please expand on your comment.

A crop to remove at least half of the dark area at the bottom would help. Then maybe a fraction more brightness - if needed.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Jason, If you are trying to make the twilight sky the center of attention then you might want it to be a bit brighter. In this case, the attention is grabbed by the tent-like thing because it is so much brighter than the sky. I would try using a darker foreground than the sky if you want the attention to be there.

Real Name
    Jason Swanson

Much appreciated - I haven't attempted p/p yet, still learning how to use Element 9. I think the cropping would be my best option due to having restricted options on where one can find an open view on the base, as well as flood lights (source of light over the tents) being randomly placed.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
    Much appreciated - I haven't attempted p/p yet, still learning how to use Element 9. I think the cropping would be my best option due to having restricted options on where one can find an open view on the base, as well as flood lights (source of light over the tents) being randomly placed.
    Don't worry about being overly concerned about post processing just yet. There is a world of opportunity for outstanding images just learning the basics of a pleasing composition.

Real Name
    Kyle

I agree with the others. It could stand to be a bit more bright and to be cropped. It's a good start.
    Frank's advice is really good, focus on learning composition and exposure. Try experimenting with different settings and features until you get a hang of your camera. There is lots to learn and the tutorials here are very good at getting you going.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Jason,

You have had some useful help and advice already that I'll not repeat but I'll throw in some more to think about, and I have also read your previous postings.

It looks like you have some good scenes around you and with the mountains and skies there's potential for some great shots if you can minimise or crop the crap. Do you have a tripod to allow stability so that you can bring that ISO down and use slower shutter speeds? If no tripod, something to sit the camera on and use timed release is a possibility.

Grahame

Real Name
    Jason Swanson

I do have a tripod with a remote shutter release. This was my first success at actually capturing something without the sun shining bright. I'm happy just finally fully starting to grasp the concepts of how the f-stop, ISO and shutter speed work together, as well as the menus/functions on the camera, so next time I will try to lower ISO and use slower shutter. Here is a quick p/p I did using the DPP software.

That looks more like it, Jason.

If you wanted to, you could probably get away with showing just a fraction more of the scene.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Jason...this cropped one is beautifully done! Nice composition for one...and good PP of the light. For me, one element missing is the moon since this is a night time shot. If you can learn how to grab one of your moon photo, overlay it in this one and you will have a more nicer composition. It does not have to be big for this scene, even a small moon will be fine...

Stay safe out there, mate...and keep safe. We want you home here.

Real Name
    Grahame

That's better Jason.

You will soon come to learn that Izzie needs objects within any picture posted that she can see imaginary faces or animals within and it's well worth humouring her

Grahame

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Much better, Jason. The twilight sky is more prominent and you can now determine what is in the foreground. In addition, the colors in the tents are complemented by the colors in the sky at the horizon. It comes together much more cohesively now.

Real Name
    Jason Swanson

Thank you all.

Real Name
    Andrew

Wow, I'm quite impressed with the change from the first image to the second. I've nothing to add to all the constructive criticism that some of the great folks here have provided with regard to the image. I will say that I actually find the tents and structures in the image kind of interesting. If your circumstances limit you to what you can make images of I'm willing to bet you can find some creative ways to take advantage of the unique situation you are in. The unique features of your base and environment, even if you can't get good shots of the natural landscape, should provide some interesting opportunities to work on composition and exposure. Hope to see more of your work!

Andrew

Real Name
    Kyle

Your edited version is a good improvement in my opinion. The colours really pop now. The blue sky is great. The mountain is a very nice backdrop. Great work.