Thread: Possibly THE most important piece of camera gear, the BAG

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Possibly THE most important piece of camera gear, the BAG

Well possibly, and often the least thought out.

I have a number of camera bags, in fact I have a collection going back 20 years, you know how it is you buy a camera then a bag, then an additional lens so an additional bag so I started and still have a great setup of CCS waste belts slr cases and lens cases that fit round the waste, and lately a thinktank 50, all now available for my sons when they travel light.

However as gear grows so does the need for backpacks, so I bought over time, five Lowepro Mini trekkers, amazing bags, last a lifetime and £25 or less mint on Ebay

However, as gear increases and it has I found that this year I needed a roller bag able to take more kit, a laptop and accessories such as chargers and flash, something easy to get around, and that can easily be taken to a hotel room, (I use travel lodges a fair bit).

After much deliberation, and as is my way, many weeks checking reviews I decided to get the Lowepro X300. Now I know most will neither need or want this case, but, just in "case" some do want a large bag then believe me it fits the bill of safe, secure, ease and quality 100%

Here it is set up for me this coming weekend when I will be shooting Hill climbs and a couple of gigs, but when I am shooting sports I just take off the lenses and store them separate, place two bodies in each compartment and put my Siggy 120-400 and 150-500 in as well, there is room.

The wheels look small, but this is deceptive, I had hoped for larger, buy during the past two months this has been on beaches, in Docklands, over Cobbled streets and it is so smoooooooth.

There is a 3 digit lock, NOT a security lock, 99.999% of cases can be opened with a Stanley knife anyway, however, when in your room, and you pop to the bar it can be put round a radiator as a little piece of mind, of course it is designed for locking in the storage of an aircraft. On that matter the case is VERY VERY rigid and can take quite some punishment.

The other nice thing is the "leg" on the back, which means you are able to lean it back to open so nothing falls out.

The handle incorporates a thread allowing the mounting of a wireless and there is a neat small pocket for small accessories or cash, which is useful.

Now for the party piece, the WHOLE of the inside can be unzipped and removed and used as a really heavy backpack, or in fact if you like, allowing the wheeled part to be used separately as a clothes carrier, studio light bag or whatever.

Would I recommend this bag, without a seconds thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Possibly THE most important piece of camera gear, the BAG

It looks like a well made bag but aimed specifically at travel not day to day use.

Up until about 15years ago I tended to have the traditional bag that hung of the shoulder and you placed it on the ground somewhere while you took the photographs. I now use a backpack style bag that is large enough (just) to carry personal items for an overnight stay. The last one I bought can be converted by zipping up a compartment to a shoulder bag. I thought it was a great idea when I got it but have never used that feature.

I have never yet found a bag that is totally suitable for my tripod so I tend to carry it separately and no doubt one day I will end up leaving somewhere but as I it is now over 20 years old a replacement under insurance is probably overdue...

Real Name
    David

I like photographing rebels fighting government troops in the world's hot spots.
    The bag you describe is just not up to the task.
    I had Lowepro custom build me a Pro Trekker 600 aw backpack out of bullet proof kevlar.
    It is suitable for dodging sniper bullets as I run from the taxi to the restaurant and back to my hotel.
    This versatile bag allows me to Commando Crawl with ease and convenience as I position myself for ultimate war pictures.
    The day is comming when I will receive the Pulitzer Prize for photo journalism, and the custom Pro Trekker 600 will be part of the story.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Hi,if the Lowepro Mini trekkers last a lifetime why did you buy five over the years?...

And I thought the most important item was the camera.

Have to get my priorities straightened out.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
    Hi,if the Lowepro Mini trekkers last a lifetime why did you buy five over the years?...
    hmmm...... 5 lifetimes?

So many times I go out with only my camera. Silly of me to have not included a specialized *camera* bag.
    SpiderWire...found it at Dick's Army Navy. Sold as a *tackle* bag for fishermen, abundant pockets and pouches.
    Embarrassingly NOT a *camera bag* but....surprisingly it works really, really well. It cost an exorbitant $29 (US) so may be beyond the reach of the masses.

Might create a backup if the other dirty.

Possibly THE most important piece of camera gear, the BAG

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Totally understandable. With each of the new cameras I have purchased I have always justified it to my wife on the basis that it will last me the rest of my life...

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

The reason I ended up with so many backpacks myself is that one is for flash, one for video, one for lenses one for bodies one for accessories, a large roller does not replace all the bags but makes most things easier, I still need separate bags for my flash equipment