Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wine: Swirling tryptich

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Wine: Swirling tryptich

Winery: Castillo de Maluenda
    Year: 2009
    Wine: Punto y Seguido (translation: Point and Followed)
    Brand: Garnacha Viñas Viejas (translation: Garnacha Old Vines)
    Grape: 100% Garnacha (also called Grenache, especially in France)

This tryptich celebrates the common approach of swirling the wine in the glass before drinking it. If the wine has not been decanted, swirling is perhaps the best available substitute that helps aerate the wine and "open" the flavors.

The style of photography is definitely different for me, but one that I like a lot and had a lot of fun shooting. Imagine the three photos hanging side-by-side on a wall with the top one here displayed on the far left and the bottom one here displayed on the far right.

By the way, I bought this wine for one reason: I had never drunk a wine made of 100% Garnacha, as it is almost always blended with other grapes, especially in the southern Rhone area of France.

Last edited by Mike Buckley; 23rd April 2014 at 03:22 AM.

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Wine: Swirling tryptich

Great way to step out of your comfort zone Mike, very nicely done. These would look great hanging on my wall.
    My first thought when I saw these was that they had a Sharon "Daisy Mae" quality to them. And that is definitely a compliment!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Excellent, Mike. Captures the ambience of enjoying good wine.

Real Name
    John

Nice, have you tried any high speed shots?

Real Name
    John

....... and fun. Trust it didn't go to waste.

Real Name
    Greg

Nice work on the soft focus and motion blur, Mike. If you hadn't mentioned it was a Grenache I would have presumed it was a Merlot .

I don't like straight Grenache; it tastes a bit like crushed weeds smell to me. But a Grenache-Mataro is a very fine blend.

Thanks, everyone!

John: I don't know what you mean by high-speed shots. I'm going to attempt a similar set of shots using a speedlight to stop the action, so maybe that's what you're thinking. If you have another idea, please get back to me.

Greg: There is no soft focus in the sense that if the glass had not been moving, almost everything if not everything would have been in focus. I used a 35mm lens set at f/22 at a distance that would have allowed that.

I like the flavor of 100% Grenache. For me, it's very fruity, not at all like crushed weeds. However, I'm so used to it being in a blend with up to three or more other grapes that I miss the complexity and layers they provide. You mentioned Mataro and, like always, I had to look it up because I never remember that its name that I know it by is Mourvèdre.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 23rd April 2014 at 11:36 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Being a non-drinker I know nothing about wine but I do like these shots very much. Your suggestion of them as a triptych works very well in my imagination.

Andrew

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like the flavor of 100% Grenache. For me, it's very fruity, not at all like crushed weeds. However, I'm so used to it being in a blend with up to three or more other grapes that I miss the complexity and layers they provide.
    I get a sense that the GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) blend, though always a staple of the Southern Rhone, is becoming more popular both in terms of winemakers in various places around the globe, and consumers. I like it, but I like anything that comes out of the Rhone Valley.

Anyway, we should be here to talk about photography!

ps - Only 7 weeks to go ... and then I'm off to Burgundy for a couple of weeks.

Thank you, Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) blend, though always a staple of the Southern Rhone, is becoming more popular both in terms of winemakers in various places around the globe, and consumers.
    Australian wineries use it so much that their front labels often prominently display the acronym, GSM.

Anyway, we should be here to talk about photography!
    Always feel free to discuss wine in any threads that I start.

Real Name
    Christina

#2 for me... Magical!

Real Name
    Terry

I like these Mike! I went straight to this thread because I thought it said "Swilling Tryptich" and thought someone took three shots of you laid out on the floor!

I was wondering first time I saw these how one might get the swirling motion in the wine, the wine on the sides of the glass causing the cool color areas, and a sharp glass.

Thanks to Christina and Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I went straight to this thread because I thought it said "Swilling Tryptich"
    That's what it is supposed to say. My thread title is a typo.

Real Name
    John

Thanks, everyone!

John: I don't know what you mean by high-speed shots. I'm going to attempt a similar set of shots using a speedlight to stop the action, so maybe that's what you're thinking. If you have another idea, please get back to me.
    Mike,

That's exactly what I was talking about, however there are some cameras that have such a fast shutter speed they can capture enough frames that your shots would appear as a video. You could also do the same with a slide show.

Real Name
    Shane

Love the movement in these shots Mike and they do make a nice triptych. Capturing movement is adding another complication to your set up but it is a great exploration.

As you know, I am playing with intentional camera movement in my landscape images and the hit to miss ratio is quite low. One of the challenges that I find is trying to figure out whether some of the ghosting that appears in the shots works or is a distraction. While I like all three of these images I think that you balanced the stillness and movement beautifully in the first and third shots, I am on the fence with the second due to the ghosting. The first in my favorite for the shapes captured in the swirling wine.

Just my two cents and hopefully some food for thought as you continue to explore movement in you work.

Shane,

So glad that you saw this set and my other set, as I was thinking of you and your technique of moving the camera when I began seriously thinking about how to instead move the subject. I have given a little (not much) thought to wine photos that could be made only by moving the camera, so I may eventually foray into that area.

I completely agree that the decisions have to be made about whether the ghosting is strengthening or detrimental to the appearance of an image. In the end, that probably comes down entirely to personal choice.

I was actually surprised at the relatively high success rate of capturing these images and the images in my other set that stopped the action. I thought the success rate would be significantly lower. Probably beginner's luck.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 24th April 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Mike,

Just to say of the 3 sets this one is my favourite (romantic, artistic), followed by the 2nd likely for the beautiful red colours set off by the background.

I have a hard time seeing them side by side, and wonder if you would wish to present them side by side, easily (not too time consuming)

Glad to know you like this style, Christina. As I mentioned to Donald in another thread (he also prefers it), I plan to make more photos in this style using different compositions and lighting.

The easy way to view the three photos side-by-side is to download them and then display them that way in your post-processing software.

Real Name
    Christina

I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of this style...

Glad to know you like this style, Christina. As I mentioned to Donald in another thread (he also prefers it), I plan to make more photos in this style using different compositions and lighting.

The easy way to view the three photos side-by-side is to download them and then display them that way in your post-processing software.