Thread: Ladybirds a plenty.

Real Name
    John

Ladybirds a plenty.

These were thin on the ground last year and the year before but they seem to have recovered this year. They are all over the place, mainly on nettles. Seven spot Geoff? Not sure whether you count the one directly behind the head. Still a bit cold so they weren't too mobile.

Fiji X Pro1
    60mm Macro

Ladybirds a plenty.

Ladybirds a plenty.

Ladybirds a plenty.
    Last edited by John 2; 19th April 2014 at 09:32 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Ladybirds a plenty.

From a non-macro type guy, I like the first one best. Cool shot showing the detail on the critter as well as the leaves.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi John,

The 1st and 3rd image are beautiful. I adore the 1st image because it is all about the ladybug, and also for the gorgeous detail and the leaves. And I especially love the 3rd image for the story, beautiful layers, light and shadows.

Real Name
    Grahame

It's No 1 for me John, we get to see both his face and environment well.

Real Name
    John

Nice.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

John 2 -- they are all pretty with the details on the leaves they are on too. But orange Lady Birds. Here in Missouri we have red ones not orange. Yours is prettier because I like orange. I haven't seen on like so.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi John.

The third image is outstanding. I like the story and the colors. I know what the bugs are and I do not need to see any more detail than you have shown.

Just a minor point for you to consider on the first image. It might benefit by cropping off the top leaf. You have the bug at the crossing of the left and bottom third grid lines and he appears to be walking out of the composition. If you cropped, he would be at the crossing of the left and upper third grid lines and would appear to be walking into the image. It is still a fine image if you leave it as is.

Real Name
    John

Thanks for all your comment. Izzie, they come in all colours, red, orange or even black and yellow. These, if I have them right, are the most common in the UK. Ken, you are right, the first probably needs a crop but I wouldn't take out the upper leaf completely. While I was taking these I got the feeling I was being watched (as you do). I turned around to this - meant to post it with he others.

Ladybirds a plenty.

Real Name
    Dave

Nice to see those, John, and well captured. Down here in east Cheshire they still seem to be hiding.

Dave

Yes, 7 spots, John, 3.5 on each side.

There does appear to be a gradual improvement in numbers this year although so far I have only found them in ones or twos; but perhaps 10 or 12 in total on an average walk. And none of the other ladybird species for me yet.

Real Name
    Terri

Wonderful!

Real Name
    Shane

Love the lighting and composition in the third John! It's a lovely image that reminds me of a song we used to sing as children only we called them ladybugs in Canada.

Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home...

Interesting history behind the nursery rhyme here: http://www.rhymes.org.uk/ladybug_ladybug.htm

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Thanks for all your comment. Izzie, they come in all colours, red, orange or even black and yellow. These, if I have them right, are the most common in the UK. Ken, you are right, the first probably needs a crop but I wouldn't take out the upper leaf completely. While I was taking these I got the feeling I was being watched (as you do). I turned around to this - meant to post it with he others.
    Uh oh... is this one the keeper of the lady bugs? .... I once have a cat that follows me to park and back so I started putting a leash on him when I go walking...He thoroughly enjoys it.

Real Name
    Binnur

I really like #1 John Do you get closer to your subject with 60 mm than with 90 mm or 100 mm?

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for the additional comments.

Dave, they must have overshot and come to the seaside for Easter.

Geoff, about the same here I guess. There seem to be plenty in the garden and I counted about the same number over a 50 yd stretch walking the dog the other evening when I took these.

Shane, thanks for the link. I had never heard of that association before. You live and learn.

Binnur, it depends on what you mean by closer. Physically you have to get closer to achieve the same level of magnification. That can be a disadvantage for insects that are easily scared off and for that reason I prefer my 100mm Tokina macro because I can stand back a bit. On this occasion, I only had the Fuji with me.