Thread: Some portraiture

Real Name
    Bob

Some portraiture

I get to shoot with my friend now and then......these are a few from our last shoot. See what you all think.

The first one.....the lighting is intentional, she wanted a sort of bold, in you face look.

Some portraiture

Some portraiture

Some portraiture

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Some portraiture

Ah Bob...I don't feel like liking #1. #2 is georgeous and #3 is oooohhhh.......sexy. The first thing I noticed in #1 is her big ears. I don't know why though. Second one is more bolder and I like the pose very much...the third one is very playful and the lighting makes her pose pop up...just my thoughts. Manfred or some others may have other opinion...they are the expert. 'Learn a lot from Manfred's tutorials.

All work well.

#1 is OK with lighting for me, but it is perhaps a bit of a 'harsh pose'. However, if that is what was requested you have achieved the goal.

Real Name
    John

All very nice, the third image can be cropped from so many angles and positions and still have impact.

Real Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    All very nice, the third image can be cropped from so many angles and positions and still have impact.
    ....and it has been. We've used several different versions of that shot.

Real Name
    Grahame

Very good work Bob, all three have a bit of punch to them.

Real Name
    Shane

2nd and third for me Bob. On the first the first image I think her pose is causing an apparent imbalance in the chest area that I find a bit distracting and unnatural...

And for the record I hope she didn't have to walk far in those boots! I would break my ankle for sure in those things but they do look great

Real Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    2nd and third for me Bob. On the first the first image I think her pose is causing an apparent imbalance in the chest area that I find a bit distracting and unnatural...

And for the record I hope she didn't have to walk far in those boots! I would break my ankle for sure in those things but they do look great
    That's funny.....she moves around in those and worse better than you and I do in a pair of sneakers! But then she spends a lot of time in stuff like that as part of her job.

Thanks everyone for your insight.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Bob,

Great shots. I like #2 best. Light and shadows emphasize her.
    Perhaps, more of this type of lighting/shadows will show-off her beauty.

Thanks

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Bob!

I’d love to have a photogenic friend who liked to be in front of a lens!

Very cool stuff.

A couple of thoughts? #1? Love the positioning of the light, but maybe a bit softer light? I was thinking another rim from camera left behind might be cool too? She has a lot of hair (top/camera left) that is crushed in shadow. Just the tiniest bit of detail while still keeping the mood might be cool. Maybe a reflector? Very cool BG on these.

Kind of the same with #2. Also, I wonder what you would think about a suggestion that she turned her head more toward the camera to get the iris’ in her eyes more centered. Her left (camera right) iris is almost lost.

#3? Well, her camera left boot has a pretty good (and different color highlight) on it compared to the right. And some hot spots on the knees. Same highlights on the waist. Stool seems a little skewed causing a hot line on the upholstery tack heads camera left of center.

It has always been hard for me to keep track of the model’s hair, clothes, makeup, look, glasses, camera settings, lighting, set, etc., etc., etc.! On the first two maybe a lot of flyaways and miniscule details?

Just minor comments Bob! Very nice shots of your friend.

Real Name
    Bob

Terry,

You put some time and thought into this, thank you.

It never fails after a shoot when I'm processing I see many things I could have, would have, should have done. I imagine we all do. Yea, a bit more light top left would have been swell...however... I'm surprised you like the background. I pretty much hate it. We were at her studio and her seamless was covered by a green screen so we just shot here.

# 2...wasn't even supposed to happen. I fired as she was moving between poses, but as it turns out I just love the shot despite the fact that, as you mention, too steep an angle at her eyes. The shot below happened exactly the same way, but here again I really liked it so I kept it.

Some portraiture

The flyaways? I never remove them in this kind of shoot because I think they lend to the sexy attitude. I know a lot of guys do but I just think they sort of add an immediacy of the moment.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Real Name
    Terry

I'm just curious Bob?

In this last mono how far away from her were you?

Real Name
    Bob

I dunno....maybe 10-12 feet.