Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning light - Series 2

Real Name
    Grahame

Morning light - Series 2

These are today's attempt at capturing that same tree before the sun comes up and using the ND and GND. I feel the lower perspective has helped and the slower exposures hopefully are not overdone.

Again these have had minimum basic PP working and to be honest I'm finding that the scope for which I could push them in any direction is a bit overwhelming. Bug PP gives minimal choices which I far prefer

Having packed all away today and driving back home along the seashore road I have a mental list of other views that I will tackle next week along the same lines as these.

No 1 - 6s, f/16
    Morning light - Series 2

No 2 - 30s, f/16
    Morning light - Series 2

No 3 - 2.5s, f22
    Morning light - Series 2

Hopefully you are not getting too bored with seeing this tree but I have found it a fascinating exercise concentrating on one fixed subject with different light and slight change in angle of view.

Comments and suggestions welcome as always.

Grahame

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Morning light - Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hopefully you are not getting too bored with seeing this tree
    Not possible, especially in your capable hands.

I really like the dreamy look. My one complaint is that in the first two photos the purple tones in the sky aren't reflected in the water; the water is blue. That seems unusual and unnatural to me. However, I don't specialize in landscapes with reflections, so this may be both very usual and natural.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Not possible, especially in your capable hands.

I really like the dreamy look. My one complaint is that in the first two photos the purple tones in the sky aren't reflected in the water; the water is blue. That seems unusual and unnatural to me. However, I don't specialize in landscapes with reflections, so this may be both very usual and natural.
    Mike, I'm pleased that you have mentioned the purple in the sky as it concerned me also. Looking at the originals it is there as well and not reflected in the water but I have not got a clue how I tackle this, hopefully someone can advise and I can always post the untouched originals.

I was using Auto WB and have not done anything other than extremely minor global saturation changes if any.

Grahame

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Is it possible that your GND filter was used on the sky and that it's not as neutral as it should be? Is it changing the color?

Real Name
    Grahame

Is it possible that your GND filter was used on the sky and that it's not as neutral as it should be? Is it changing the color?
    Yes it is very likely, there is no trace of this purple in any of the images I took yesterday without the GND.

The GND is a Cokin P121 and I'll do some tests with it and the ND today on a clear sky to see the results. I'm sure one of our clever members will have a solution to removing the purple

Grahame

emmerick

love the tone of #1, very nice Grahame.

Real Name
    Greg

The colours in #1 may seem a little odd if you are after fidelity, but I think they go together quite well. This is a good set, but I prefer the first because the composition and colours just scream serenity (if you'll pardon the oxymoron).

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by emmerick View Post
    love the tone of #1, very nice Grahame.

Thanks Erick, but I'm not sure if the tone is right

Real Name
    Grahame

Mike, I have done a test using all combinations of the three NDs I used today, circular polariser (substitute ND), ND and GND on a clear blue sky with fluffy white clouds, and there is absolutely no hint of any added colour.

I put one of the original RAWS (similar to No 1 above) into ViewNX and altered the WB manually by selecting the grey of a cloud and got the below. So it's apparent I can alter the WB for whatever I want but of course this is going to be global.

Morning light - Series 2

There must be a solution to this.

Real Name
    David

Very nice Grahame,lovely set,I really like the tree exposed more with the low tide,well done bud,in like them a lot

David

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I love the colour of #1 -- it is moody (serene) for the blueness of the lake. Though I do not like the purple sky, my suggestion is to translate this shot to B/W and selectively bring back the colour of the water. I do not know if it will work for what I have in mind but maybe worth the time to see? (Brain hurts at 2AM...)

#2 is the same...nice tree placement and the lower orangy atmosphere but purple clouds needs to be softened a bit to B/W without losing the orange bits of the horizon?

#3 is very nice. It has more body to it but there is a little structure at the horizon on the left side that the other shots do not. 'Would be nice to tidy that up a little bit.

Just my little opinion. Don't bank on it...my contacts are resting and I am using my computer glasses to view this at an unholy hour.

Real Name
    Shane

Love the tree and seeing your progression through various shooting techniques and compositions so keep 'em coming!

The variety of colors and tones that you are getting are quite amazing and a joy to behold.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by deetheturk View Post
    Very nice Grahame,lovely set,I really like the tree exposed more with the low tide,well done bud,in like them a lot

David
    Thanks David, it's certainly keeping me busy Maybe a different scene tomorrow if I can get up at 4 again.

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I love the colour of #1 -- it is moody (serene) for the blueness of the lake. Though I do not like the purple sky, my suggestion is to translate this shot to B/W and selectively bring back the colour of the water. I do not know if it will work for what I have in mind but maybe worth the time to see? (Brain hurts at 2AM...)

#2 is the same...nice tree placement and the lower orangy atmosphere but purple clouds needs to be softened a bit to B/W without losing the orange bits of the horizon?

#3 is very nice. It has more body to it but there is a little structure at the horizon on the left side that the other shots do not. 'Would be nice to tidy that up a little bit.

Just my little opinion. Don't bank on it...my contacts are resting and I am using my computer glasses to view this at an unholy hour.
    Izzie I am getting on top of the purple problem and it comes down to the WB and some say is more prominent in long exposures due to the inability of the cameras WB system being able to cope with the changing light over the duration and certain filters make the problem worse, but then again there's no doubt many theories.

I have managed to sort it by careful setting of the WB and tint.

No 1 is what I'm aiming for, moody and simple and what's that word, oh yes, minimalist

Personally, No 3 in my opinion is over the top and too busy, I can't take the little hut away, the man who lives in it would be homeless.

Now to try and produce a B&W, there must be button somewhere to press for it

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Love the tree and seeing your progression through various shooting techniques and compositions so keep 'em coming!

The variety of colors and tones that you are getting are quite amazing and a joy to behold.
    Hi Shane, it's quite a learning curve, I have done the standard sunrise/sunset pictures before without much thought but am now aiming for something more subtle and it's perfect morning weather at the moment, clear and cool.

Real Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Now to try and produce a B&W, there must be button somewhere to press for it

Grahame
    Grahame

I think #1 would give you the best option for a mono image from this series.

Also on #1 there is what appears to be a boat / small island on the far horizon just right of center - it may be better to 'lose' it.

steve

Real Name
    Brian Grant

At this point, you might want to try working with the saturation controls and considering alternative crops. You can make changes to the purple areas with warmth/cool controls too. Too much of the temperature control though can get bizarre.

Colorful skies, like this, often have an abundance of color and those controls will let you make very significant changes to the image. I had a similar thought in another thread. and playing with saturation and color temps in another.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Grahame,

Beautiful images. I too love the dreamy look. The first is my favourite, for the composition and the soft reflections, and the colours.

I have yet to purchase filters or use them, so I don't know for sure but I think the colours are natural and that the purple just fades way (less intense) in the foreground. The clouds are purple-blue (like many clouds I've seen and photographed that came out with a purple hue also seen on the horizon of the water) and the purple colour is just more intense near the horizon where the light falls.

In the 2nd image in the lower right quadrant where the light is darker the water is has a blue-purple cast, and at the horizon where the clouds are red with the sunlight the water colour reflect these colours.

So I think it is just natural, but I've never used filters so I don't know for sure. Either way it's a beautiful image.

I would like to ask what level of ND filter you needed. ie; I'm trying to decide if I need a 3D or 6D ND filter for sunrises just so I can expose for the sky and the foreground. Thank you.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by dabhand View Post
    Grahame

I think #1 would give you the best option for a mono image from this series.

Also on #1 there is what appears to be a boat / small island on the far horizon just right of center - it may be better to 'lose' it.

steve
    Thanks for commenting Steve. I have had a go at a mono version of No 1 and I would be too embarrassed to post it, time to get the books out.

That's one of the many wrecks we have on the outer reef and I can clone it out, I overlooked it.

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post
    At this point, you might want to try working with the saturation controls and considering alternative crops. You can make changes to the purple areas with warmth/cool controls too. Too much of the temperature control though can get bizarre.

Colorful skies, like this, often have an abundance of color and those controls will let you make very significant changes to the image. I had a similar thought in another thread. and playing with saturation and color temps in another.
    Thanks for the info Brian. So far I have not been worrying about crops on these other than to leave myself the options, my philosophy being to get the exposures, light and colouring to a stage that I'm happy with.

Colour temps and saturation is something I have been experimenting with since posting these, there's just so many possibilities but at present wanted to keep things close to how they actually appeared but I'm tempted to push it.

Grahame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast