Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cherry Blossoms Preference

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Cherry Blossoms Preference

Hi everyone. I was out yesterday photographing the cherry blossoms in Branch Brook Park in Essex County, New Jersey (Newark). The park is noted for the largest collection of cherry blossom trees in the United States, having over 4,300 in more than fourteen different varieties.

It was a beautiful clear day. In many of my photos the blue sky shows through, and I am not sure it always makes for the best images. Below is an example. #1 is the original image. To create #2, I selected everything except the blossoms and inserted a colored, texture. I then reduced the opacity of the texture layer to allow a bit of the branches to show through.

My question for the group is, do you have a preference for one or the other, and if so why? There is no correct answer. I am just curious what other photographers think. Any other comments or suggestions?

Here is #1, the original:

Here is #2, with colored texture inlay.

Real Name
    John

Re: Cherry Blossoms Preference

Nicely done.

Ken, I prefer the 2nd image. In the first I find the excess branches distracting, in the 2nd I find the background to be more complimentary to the blossoms and gives an overall more pleasing image.

Real Name
    Mark

Very nice treatments, Ken. I'm impressed by the capture and very impressed by the obvious pp skills in creating the second image. But I prefer the first. I think the delicate pinks show very well, beautifully, against the blue sky, and get a bit lost in the background color of the second image. I concur with Rita on the branches though. To me, the texture of the background in the second is almost as in the way of appreciation of the architecture and great hues, as the branches in the first.

Real Name
    Pania

I agree with Mark. Also, in the 2nd, the flowers are lit but the background is not, which might be seen as phoney. Then there is not enough contrast as Mark says.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like #1 Ken...I am a little bit on the side of backlighting to the point of almost transparency. Not many petals or leaves are suitable for it. Only thin ones does. And this shows in your shot. I do not know why I do not prefer #2 just that my eyes is more drawn to my interest in backlighting at this stage of my own game...cheers.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

I am a sucker for blue skies and cherry blossoms. Well done, Ken.

Agreed on the commentary on #2.

Marie

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    In many of my photos the blue sky shows through, and I am not sure it always makes for the best images.
    It's not the blue sky that bothers me. Instead, it's the branches in the background. Even so, I prefer the first image because I can't figure out what the background in the second image is other than it reminds me of cotton candy.

Real Name
    Grahame

Ken, it's No 1 for me as it looks more natural. The flowers are obviously backlit which is not a concern to me but the background of No 2 does not tie up with this.

What I do find intriguing is that whilst I admire the skill that is necessary to select and replace the background on a subject such as this is the reason as to why you considered it would be an improvement on the original.

Grahame

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Thanks for the comments everyone. My motivation to modify the original was because I too thought the branches were distracting. I chose a texture and changed the color to pinkish thinking it would complement the blossoms. I've seen some terrific work done with texture overlays and thought I would give it a try, only I did not overlay the blossoms, just the background. But as some have pointed out, it was not the best choice.

I wish I had had training in art, but all my working life I was an engineer and used the left side of my brain. Now I am trying to develop the right side but I do not have the training or natural talent to foresee how somethings will look. I struggle with it. I've had comments from other people on Facebook, and they universally agree with the blue background.

I made one more attempt, which appears below. I promise not to bother you with any more.

Thanks again for taking the time to express your preferences and other comments.

Real Name
    Grahame

Ken, I understand your reasoning and the desire to improve the artistic side, I too was/am an engineer for my full career and also struggle with a number of aspects of photography that do not simply involve technicalities.

I do not undertake the practice of modifying backgrounds to this extent but as an idea where you take a subject such as this suspecting the background may cause a problem one solution may be to take another shot of the clear sky in the same lighting direction to use as background.