Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D300s replacement !

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Real Name
    Dan

Re: D300s replacement !

Nikon's marketing has gotten so weird the last couple of years there's no telling. Logically they should simply put the awesome sensor from the D7100 into a pro body with the new expeed4 processing. But if recent history means anything that is not a likely scenario. At any rate we'll not likely know until August/September.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Hmmm....not interested in the replacement of the D300s -- my next one will be a full frame camera. Saving for a D800e.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Can't blame Nikanon.

They pay a lot to their Marketing/Sales peeps to come up with gimmiks to entice peeps to
    buy - buy - buy!

After all they are in this for bznz a.k.a. profit.

( even the red communists use "capitalist's" techniques to up their sales. )

Real Name
    Robin

Birders have been wanting this for years and with the 7D replacement due soon it sounds very positive.

Personally I've no interest in a FF camera, no advantage for me, and I don't like the lesser Nikon bodies so this might temp me to finally upgrade the venerable but still fantastic D300s.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Hmmm....not interested in the replacement of the D300s -- my next one will be a full frame camera. Saving for a D800e.
    Why, it's like people who buy computers, "I want the X and XX and this and that" when in fact they really need to ask themselves "Now, WHAT do I want the computer to do".

My son has a £3000 PC I had built for him for gaming, top haswell i7 liquid cooled etc, he has learning difficulties and his life is his computer, BUT it is NOT suitable for image or video processing.

A full frame is pointless for me as I shoot 99% sports and rely on and need the "crop factor" for tele lenses, a 500mm on mine is therefore a 750 getting me into the action from the shoreline.

Do people want a D800 just because it is FF or do they "need it"

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Nikon's marketing has gotten so weird the last couple of years there's no telling. Logically they should simply put the awesome sensor from the D7100 into a pro body with the new expeed4 processing. But if recent history means anything that is not a likely scenario. At any rate we'll not likely know until August/September.
    I can wait till September, totally agree about the sensor, I am happy with the 7100s, I am happy with both of my 7000s, I wish they would ask people the way they do when it comes to the D4, what they want after all the 300 replacement will be a pro cropped sensor, me I want larger buffer and 8fps

Real Name
    Robin

Exactly - the D300s has the Build - Buffer - Speed - AF Performance.

All it needs is a new sensor with better DR and high ISO performance.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Why, it's like people who buy computers, "I want the X and XX and this and that" when in fact they really need to ask themselves "Now, WHAT do I want the computer to do".
    Jeremy I do not want to lock horns with you. Your opinion is your opinion. My opinion may be wrong to you, but to me it is right and I will defend my right to have what I want and need now than just wishing for what I do not have before. You do not know how much I suffered before this and I believe it is time for me to have what I want.

A full frame is pointless for me as I shoot 99% sports and rely on and need the "crop factor" for tele lenses, a 500mm on mine is therefore a 750 getting me into the action from the shoreline.
    See what you just wrote above? That is your need, perhaps what you want and need. Not mine. What your need is, is what you need, not what I need -- nor want. Be a bit forgiving to people like me. I am not alone. I have gone through a hard life before this one I have now. I feel I deserve what I have now. I worked my butt hard to be where I am and be comfortable enough to buy what I want from time to time. I may not have all what I want, but I do work for it first without bothering my family about it even when I can.

Do people want a D800 just because it is FF or do they "need it"
    It might make me a better photographer...think about it...

P.S. Please do not take the melody out of my music. I am enjoying the ride of my life right now...

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Not arguing all I am saying is different people need different cameras, for different reasons, some would shoot nothing more than a medium format digital in a studio, others a ff for architecture, others cropped for birding, what concerns me for example is someone going to a shop and buying what they are directed to buy than whet they need, it rarely happened on forums as everyone on a forum more or less "IS" a "Photographer"

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Not arguing all I am saying is different people need different cameras, for different reasons, some would shoot nothing more than a medium format digital in a studio, others a ff for architecture, others cropped for birding,
    For the time being perhaps...but some of these particular shooters (pun intended) later on wanted to expand their repertoire too, so do you advocate that they buy another camera for their intended expansion, one for flowers, trees and the like, one for architecture, one for macro, etc. To each his own. Their choice but not yours.

what concerns me for example is someone going to a shop and buying what they are directed to buy than whet they need, it rarely happened on forums as everyone on a forum more or less "IS" a "Photographer"
    Nope!!! you will find that if you read some of the new members' first or third post, some even admit that they are mostly interested in learning from this site and interacting with members here. I even read from one other person that he/she became interested in photography but do not have a camera -- yet.

We have varied members here and I still have to find anyone stupid enough to buy something JUST BECAUSE they read somewhere that it is what they need. They asked doesn't mean they buy. They are potential buyers. And these potential buyers -- the ones that seems to be like how you think they are impulsive buyers will sit on their hands and their pockets, do some research first before spending their hard earned money. Not everyone here is the son of Donald Trump or Rupert Murdoch. You just simply cannot judge a book by its cover. Learn to read between the lines.

Real Name
    Robin

Izzie - flip this round and explain why you personally want a FF body and what you will specifically gain from getting one.

This isn't a negative request but may help others.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Izzie - flip this round and explain why you personally want a FF body and what you will specifically gain from getting one.

This isn't a negative request but may help others.
    I mostly shoot airplanes, static and flying: air to air, ground to air, air to ground. Then I do my video presentation of them for our organization of which my husband is currently the Chairman of the Board for our organization. The tonal range on a full frame is sublime. I've borrowed and used it several times. Extra reach from the same focal length. The D800e fits my bill for what I shoot and want to shoot.

I do not just want an FF -- I want some megapixels too that is why I researched this for a good while and working long and hard to get this D800e before June 4th, our next national fly-in that will be held just this one time at the Wright Bros. Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. I already have some FX lens bought by me and given to me as a gift because of my fixation for that camera. Would I want to use them on my D300s or my D90 -- I doubt it as this stage. I want to use them in the D800e.

Besides if you look at your question above which I have bolded and underlined, you specifically mentioned "personally want..." Simple: because I do. Nothing to learn from my choice for anyone. That is not my intention here in responding to your question. In every action, we all have our own choice. The D800e is my choice for me, not yours nor anyone's. My choice. I will respect your choices and your opinions, no matter what it is, right for you or wrong for me or vice versa. Please do respect mine. And this is the last you will hear from me about this.

P.S. I want to go back to annoying Geoff, David and Grahame now... Besides I am having a hard time trying to translate words in my brain to the English language. I am bad at English.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Being a Canon sorta guy, I have been increasing angry at their failure to release a larger sensor.

IMHO, crop or FF matters little regarding what is coughed out on that card, albeit there does seem to be various rules that come into play, like pixel density vs. ISO performance, utilization of the lenses sweet spots, as two examples.

Being an eclectic shooter and studying various subjects and their milieus, I don't grade a camera on what I like to shoot...instead, I want a camera's ability to include what I might someday want to shoot, whether it be BIF or a rose reflected in a water droplet, or merely a daughter's portrait. And, insure that, if anything subpar is coughed out, it would be the entirely user error.

Real Name
    Dan

I hope you get your 800E, Izzie. Though if I were you I'd wait to see if they upgrade it this fall as currently rumored. Even a slight boost in frame rate would be nice and the xpeed4 processing seems to be good for another stop of ISO performance out of a given sensor(based on the limited information available).

IMO the D800 is the best overall camera body that Nikon has produced to date. Life is full of compromises and that body straddles most of them and excels at anything that doesn't require high frame rates or extreme high ISO. And with adequate light the IQ is so good that I know many BIF shooters who are willing to sacrifice the frame rate. Ironically for me the 800's DX mode ended up retiring my D300 (which I loved). If I had to choose one camera body that would be the one.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Please do not take the melody out of my music.
    What a great phrase!

Real Name
    Ben

I mostly shoot airplanes, static and flying: air to air, ground to air, air to ground. Then I do my video presentation of them for our organization of which my husband is currently the Chairman of the Board for our organization. The tonal range on a full frame is sublime. I've borrowed and used it several times. Extra reach from the same focal length. The D800e fits my bill for what I shoot and want to shoot.

I do not just want an FF -- I want some megapixels too that is why I researched this for a good while and working long and hard to get this D800e before June 4th, our next national fly-in that will be held just this one time at the Wright Bros. Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. I already have some FX lens bought by me and given to me as a gift because of my fixation for that camera. Would I want to use them on my D300s or my D90 -- I doubt it as this stage. I want to use them in the D800e.

Besides if you look at your question above which I have bolded and underlined, you specifically mentioned "personally want..." Simple: because I do. Nothing to learn from my choice for anyone. That is not my intention here in responding to your question. In every action, we all have our own choice. The D800e is my choice for me, not yours nor anyone's. My choice. I will respect your choices and your opinions, no matter what it is, right for you or wrong for me or vice versa. Please do respect mine. And this is the last you will hear from me about this.

P.S. I want to go back to annoying Geoff, David and Grahame now... Besides I am having a hard time trying to translate words in my brain to the English language. I am bad at English.
    Next time someone asks you why you want FF you can give them these two reasons (among several others):
    1. The best AF is found in an FF camera. This is good for airplanes and other fast moving subjects.
    2. FF gives you a wider field of view compared to a crop camera. This makes it easier to acquire the target in the viewfinder and follow it.

Real Name
    Robin

Next time someone asks you why you want FF you can give them these two reasons (among several others):
    1. The best AF is found in an FF camera. This is good for airplanes and other fast moving subjects.
    2. FF gives you a wider field of view compared to a crop camera. This makes it easier to acquire the target in the viewfinder and follow it.
    1. Nikon use the same 51 point AF chip in several of their bodies - some of which have a crop sensor while Canon use a god awful one in their FF 6D but a much better one in some of their crop cameras.
    2. A crop camera will give you greater reach and make it easier to maximise your pixels to give the best quality/enlargement.

Real Name
    Dan

... A crop camera will give you greater reach and make it easier to maximise your pixels to give the best quality/enlargement.
    In that context, the Nikon D800 is a crop body camera.

Real Name
    Ben

1. Nikon use the same 51 point AF chip in several of their bodies - some of which have a crop sensor while Canon use a god awful one in their FF 6D but a much better one in some of their crop cameras.
    2. A crop camera will give you greater reach and make it easier to maximise your pixels to give the best quality/enlargement.
    The 51 point chip is used in the D7100 and the D300s (DX cameras) and is a 3500DX AF module. A 51 point chip is used in the D800e (FF camera) and is a 3500 AF module. I am positive they are not equivalent because I use both a D300s and a D800e and the D800e is way better in locking on the target and getting an in-focus image. They are not even remotely close.

Some crop cameras have a higher pixel density than FF so they do have more reach. But more reach is only useful after you acquire your subject is in the viewfinder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast