Thread: out!

Real Name
    Dedric

out!

My attempt to make a b&w image. Not sure if i got it right or anywhere close to being right, so please let me know. Did i crop this too much? Not enough cropping? Took a lot of shots but only found a few that i liked it was fun though.

out!

#2.... original
    out!

wish i would have locked in on this faster....
    out!

Real Name
    John

Re: out!

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Ian

I like no. 1 and 3 best, as the orange colours in 2 distract. I like the triangle of grass in 1 & 2 pointing to the action.

I don't think there is any problem with the movement in 3, it shows action and there is no doubt about the subject. Having the ball clearly shown in 3 definitely helps.

If there is any criticism, it is the hands, arms and legs crossing and merging but that cannot be helped unless the shutter released a few milliseconds earlier.

Cropping is about right for the subject.

Nice Portfolio

Real Name
    Dedric

thanks Ian
    i wondered about them arms and legs too. thank you for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    I like no. 1 and 3 best, as the orange colours in 2 distract. I like the triangle of grass in 1 & 2 pointing to the action.

I don't think there is any problem with the movement in 3, it shows action and there is no doubt about the subject. Having the ball clearly shown in 3 definitely helps.

If there is any criticism, it is the hands, arms and legs crossing and merging but that cannot be helped unless the shutter released a few milliseconds earlier.

Cropping is about right for the subject.

Nice Portfolio

Real Name
    Mark

I like them all. I think the circle around the catcher's head in the first is terrific. Tell us you planned it that way.

Real Name
    Kyle

I really like the first one. They're all good but the first one just looks really dramatic and vintage. The b&w works well.

Real Name
    Dedric

ummmmmm Mark...umm yeah i planned it hahaha

Thanks Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Downrigger View Post
    I like them all. I think the circle around the catcher's head in the first is terrific. Tell us you planned it that way.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Baseball at its best!

I really like the potential of the first one. Try doing two things: Convert using a red filter (I think you converted using a yellow filter) to get better separation between the players and the clay. Also try using a 4 x 6 aspect ratio that crops the right side just a little closer to the catcher to get more emphasis of the play being made with the backup player and umpire watching it happen.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 17th April 2014 at 01:11 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like 2 and 3 Dedric......the colour version is very nice. I am not a fan of even number for one. Fifth one is always a clincher. #3 I like that you were able to include the image of the ball in the shot.

Dedric,
    I think you nailed it. All the shots are just great, they really capture the essence of the game. And for my taste I'd prefer to see them all in B&W, the reason being that, in converting to B&W, what we see is the action without the distraction of colors.
    The whites in the first image are a bit hot but I think you could tone them down a bit in PP. Love to see the others, and more.

Real Name
    Greg

Good action shots, Dedric. I like the way the corner of the grassy patch points towards the action, although I think there might be a little too much foreground. I would try cropping the bottom about half-way between the bottom of the frame and the bat.

Real Name
    Dedric

thanks Mike...will work on that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Baseball at its best!

I really like the potential of the first one. Try doing two things: Convert using a red filter (I think you converted using a yellow filter) to get better separation between the players and the clay. Also try using a 4 x 6 aspect ratio that crops the right side just a little closer to the catcher to get more emphasis of the play being made with the backup player and umpire watching it happen.

Real Name
    Dedric

thanks Jack....B&W are my favorites. trying to figure it out still. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Dedric,
    I think you nailed it. All the shots are just great, they really capture the essence of the game. And for my taste I'd prefer to see them all in B&W, the reason being that, in converting to B&W, what we see is the action without the distraction of colors.
    The whites in the first image are a bit hot but I think you could tone them down a bit in PP. Love to see the others, and more.

Real Name
    Dedric

greg,
    i kind of thought the same about the grass area....thanks for your comments
    Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Good action shots, Dedric. I like the way the corner of the grassy patch points towards the action, although I think there might be a little too much foreground. I would try cropping the bottom about half-way between the bottom of the frame and the bat.