Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just What You Wanted

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Just What You Wanted

Not me. Interesting that there is another thread at the same time asking how far people are willing to lug their FF gear. If I were shooting out of a car or, like Ansel Adams, had mules carrying my gear, that would be one thing. But there is no way I would want this and the correspondingly long lenses on my back. That leaves aside the fact that it is three times as expensive as my 5D3, which I figured was already a splurge.

Real Name
    Lex

Re: Just What You Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Could I plug Canon glass onto that puppy?
    Some lenses, probably. The TS-E tilt-shift lenses have extra-large image circles, but I doubt most of the movement-free lenses have large enough image circles.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1
    There are many interchangeable backs such as "Leaf" when it comes to Medium Format
    True for some systems, but not this one. The back and body are one unit.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1
    I want a versatile DSLR for shooting at Press conferences, that also has a great pixel count, and if this is anything like my old 645 then I will not hesitate
    This probably isn't the world's most durable camera, and even though it has a lower-noise CMOS sensor and improved AF, remember that they mean "relative to other MF cameras." So it may do quite well compared to its brethren, but that doesn't mean it has stellar high-ISO performance, and I really, really doubt it has the durability of a top-of-the-line DSLR. Besides 16MP (D4S) is way more than enough for publication. 51MP is billboard and glossy magazine territory.

It's intriguing to see a medium-format camera debut well below $10,000. There are definitely drawbacks (icky 1/125sec sync speed), but big sensors have interesting advantages. If I was primarily a portrait photographer considering a top-notch DSLR, this sucker would be on the possibles list in a heartbeat. Might even try renting one for fun someday, if the rates are reasonable.

For now, if I want the big-sensor look, I'll stick to my 120-format and 4x5in cameras.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12