Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Surf Action

Real Name
    Greg

A Little Surf Action

A few more from the weekend. It has been interesting processing these images: trying to decide on the best composition and crop. If I zoom too close then the wave is lost and then the figure seems static.. and there is not a lot of interest in a wet-suit clad body. It became apparent that the body needs the wave as much as the wave needs the body. The most interest lies in the shape and texture of the water. Combine that with a 'dramatic' pose in the figure and things start to click.

Well, that is how I see it. I welcome other thoughts and opinions on the subject.

(Best viewed in Lytebox)

#1. Ever have that feeling the whole Pacific Ocean is about to dump on you ...
    A Little Surf Action

#2 Chasing the Barrel
    A Little Surf Action

#3 Crunch Time
    A Little Surf Action

#4 The Race is On
    A Little Surf Action

#5 In the Green Room
    A Little Surf Action

#6 Beating the White-Water
    A Little Surf Action

All C&C invited.

Real Name
    John

Re: A Little Surf Action

Nice series.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

These are exactly the kind of shots I was waiting to see from you! Absolutely powerful shots!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Anyone who doesn't click the first image and then view all of them in the Lytebox is really missing a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    It became apparent that the body needs the wave as much as the wave needs the body. The most interest lies in the shape and texture of the water. Combine that with a 'dramatic' pose in the figure and things start to click.
    Expertly written. Expertly demonstrated in the photos.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Greg,

Just to say these are amazing images. The detail in the waves, water and spray is especially amazing.

My favourites are 1,2 and 6. For the beauty of the wave and spray, sense of being clobbered by one. Incredible timing!

I moved all of them around to see if there were any crops that I liked, and in the first image I like with a little bit off of the top and the 2nd image with a little bit off the bottom. I think this is because for me it places more attention on the wave and creates a sense of drama not knowing what is beyond the crest of the wave, and immediately in front of the wave, respectively.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 15th April 2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Binnur

Wow! for all of them,they are great. And double wow! for #6 Greg

Real Name
    Andrew

Terrific stuff! I like your comments regarding how the wave needs the body and the body needs the wave. I reached the same conclusion when I was reviewing images of the surf I took recently. My favorite is a nice curling tube but there's nobody in it! Despite what I thought was very appealing light and detail in the breaking wave it was still lacking. Hope to see more of your surfing photography; great images and stories!

Andrew

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

A good set of images. I particularity like #5.

Are you sure the surfers are not lost? The beautiful green of the water looks more like the Tasman sea rather than the blue of the Pacific ocean...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The most interest lies in the shape and texture of the water. Combine that with a 'dramatic' pose in the figure and things start to click.
    They do indeed. That's a mighty impressive set of images.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Hi Greg,

Just to say these are amazing images. The detail in the waves, water and spray is especially amazing.

My favourites are 1,2 and 6. For the beauty of the wave and spray, sense of being clobbered by one. Incredible timing!

I moved all of them around to see if there were any crops that I liked, and in the first image I like with a little bit off of the top and the 2nd image with a little bit off the bottom. I think this is because for me it places more attention on the wave and creates a sense of drama not knowing what is beyond the crest of the wave, and immediately in front of the wave, respectively.
    Hi Christina,
    I live on the east coast and on this day the wind was blowing from the west / south-west. As the waves broke, the wind was blowing the spray back up and over the waves; also the sun was in the northeast so the sunlight was high-lighting the water droplets as the wind sifted them into the air. In other words, the conditions were just right.

Regarding the crop on #1 and #2: notice the 'diagonal' ripples on the water behind the breaking wave (top of frame) - that is actually the wall of the wave immediately behind this one. I was of two minds whether to leave this shot as a whole frame so that this guy appeared isolated and at the mercy of the surf or to crop it. But the highlights were blown beyond recovery so I went with the crop. But I am grateful for your suggestion and I will try a tighter frame.

Similarly with the 2nd, I wanted to be sure to show the full height of the wave.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD View Post
    Terrific stuff! I like your comments regarding how the wave needs the body and the body needs the wave. I reached the same conclusion when I was reviewing images of the surf I took recently. My favorite is a nice curling tube but there's nobody in it! Despite what I thought was very appealing light and detail in the breaking wave it was still lacking. Hope to see more of your surfing photography; great images and stories!

Andrew
    Thanks, Andrew. I think the frame also needs to show where the figure has come from and where it is going to, and that can make it difficult to avoid having the surfer in the middle of the frame. This exercise has given me a new level of respect for the guys who publish in the surf magazines.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    A good set of images. I particularity like #5.

Are you sure the surfers are not lost? The beautiful green of the water looks more like the Tasman sea rather than the blue of the Pacific ocean...
    Lol, Paul. I guess technically, it is the Tasman, but the Pacific Ocean sounds more impressive

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks also to John, Izzie, Mike, Binnur and Donald for viewing and commenting.

Real Name
    Greg

Tighter crops of #1 and #2

#1 rev ed
    A Little Surf Action

#2 rev ed
    A Little Surf Action

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Greg,

If I ever have the opportunity to photograph a scene like this, these images will be first and foremost in my mind. Somehow I expect that capturing all that detail in the waves and spray is not so easily done, even under ideal conditions.

Yes, I can see the diagonal ripples. I truly tried but these were the only crops I could think of.

Thank you for sharing. Very insightful and good to know.

Hi Christina,
    I live on the east coast and on this day the wind was blowing from the west / south-west. As the waves broke, the wind was blowing the spray back up and over the waves; also the sun was in the northeast so the sunlight was high-lighting the water droplets as the wind sifted them into the air. In other words, the conditions were just right.

Regarding the crop on #1 and #2: notice the 'diagonal' ripples on the water behind the breaking wave (top of frame) - that is actually the wall of the wave immediately behind this one. I was of two minds whether to leave this shot as a whole frame so that this guy appeared isolated and at the mercy of the surf or to crop it. But the highlights were blown beyond recovery so I went with the crop. But I am grateful for your suggestion and I will try a tighter frame.

Similarly with the 2nd, I wanted to be sure to show the full height of the wave.

Real Name
    Dan

Nice set of images. I agree with your OP in that getting too tight loses the effect. Including enough of the wave to give a sense of its size relative to the man make the shots much more dramatic.

Real Name
    David

Great set of images Greg!

Real Name
    Richard

Nice captures...

Real Name
    Dedric

very nice greg....those are some brave young men

Real Name
    Frank Miller

The first image is so much more spectacular given the viewpoint and composition. They are all great images but the unusual positioning of the surfer and the crashing wave sets the first one into a unique category.

I wrestled back and forth with the original and the crop. I liked the crop as it eliminated the bulk of the blown out sun reflecting off the surface but I would have really liked to have the top of the wave spray above the surfer's head. In the end, I would think just a little less crop to include the wave top and just a bit more would be ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast