Canary Wharf IR

As rpomised to Terry here are some shots takem with my 10D IR

Canary Wharf IR

Canary Wharf IR

Canary Wharf IR

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Canary Wharf IR

This is very cool (no pun intended). The big difference I seem to notice between this and the IR post-processing, like from Fred Miranda, is that the leaves seem to pop much more. I would have expected more effect around the buildings, but perhaps it wasn't especially cold? The people don't look very heavily dressed. I love the ghostly effect of trees in IR.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    This is very cool (no pun intended). The big difference I seem to notice between this and the IR post-processing, like from Fred Miranda, is that the leaves seem to pop much more. I would have expected more effect around the buildings, but perhaps it wasn't especially cold? The people don't look very heavily dressed. I love the ghostly effect of trees in IR.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Hi Rick,

These were taken in the summer, keepmeaning to take some winter shots but never seem to be able to marry up having the camera and appropriate weather. First one has no treatment other than some sharpening.

Peter

Neat! Thanks for posting them. #1 has a look to it that's hard to describe, sort of like an old film photo where the emulsion or print has faded over time or had a dye shift. #3 is more what I'd expect of IR, espcially in the sky. I take it 2 was hand held?

Do you use any kind of filter over the lens?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    Neat! Thanks for posting them. #1 has a look to it that's hard to describe, sort of like an old film photo where the emulsion or print has faded over time or had a dye shift. #3 is more what I'd expect of IR, espcially in the sky. I take it 2 was hand held?

Do you use any kind of filter over the lens?
    Hi Terry,

Glad you like them. I don't use any filter although you can use a red to enhance the effect. Not sure what happened in #2 as all three were handheld and shot almost consecutively. Must have had an attack of the shakes

Have you ever considered an R72 filter?

Real Name
    Peter

Have you ever considered an R72 filter?
    The replacement filter in the camera is already sensitive to light at around 720n so there would not be much of a difference. Also if you use that filter the exposure times would increase so that hand held shots would be impossible. Using a converted camera allows you to use the full range of shutter and aperture values, you just need to set a custom white balance and away you go.

Understand. I wasn't sure if the R72 would add anything or not.

When you say "replacement filter", you're reffering to the filter that sits in front of the sensor assembly that normally blocks the IR component, right?

Real Name
    Peter

Understand. I wasn't sure if the R72 would add anything or not.

When you say "replacement filter", you're reffering to the filter that sits in front of the sensor assembly that normally blocks the IR component, right?
    Yes, that's right. Means you can shoot as if the camera was 'normal'.

Real Name
    Rick

Does the IR filter in a digital camera let through enough IR that an R72 filter works? Does anyone know how much the internal filter cuts at 720nm, which is what an R72 is supposed to let through?

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Does the IR filter in a digital camera let through enough IR that an R72 filter works? Does anyone know how much the internal filter cuts at 720nm, which is what an R72 is supposed to let through?

Cheers,
    Rick
    Hi Rick,

There are some tests you can do to confirm if your camera will capture IR. Look through the viewfinder and point a TV remote control at the camera, take a shot with the remote pressed and if you can see the red dot then you should be in business.

But be aware that the R72 filter blocks almost all visible light so exposure times will be very long even on sunny days with large apertures. Also focusing is altered by the filter. This why I bought a second hand 10D and had it converted.

Peter

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Hi Rick,

There are some tests you can do to confirm if your camera will capture IR. Look through the viewfinder and point a TV remote control at the camera, take a shot with the remote pressed and if you can see the red dot then you should be in business.
    Thanks, Peter!!

I tried the test, and at least some IR is getting through.
    Canary Wharf IR

It was a 1s exposure, to make sure I got some output from the remote, hence the fuzziness. But the sensor is certainly getting some output from the IR LED in the remote.

But be aware that the R72 filter blocks almost all visible light so exposure times will be very long even on sunny days with large apertures. Also focusing is altered by the filter. This why I bought a second hand 10D and had it converted.
    Peter
    I remember the red IR focus lines on lenses way back when. In fact I think I still have a 50mm from an EOS that has the red line on it. In fact, that's probably a good one to play with anyway. The filter is about 5-6 times the cost in 77mm as 55mm.

Cheers!
    Rick

Hi Rick,

Peter
    Cool. I'll have to give that a try with my 50D, but don't imagine much IR will get through.

I take it then that even using an R72 if no IR gets through then any shots with an R72 are actually a "faux" IR?

Bump. To Peter...

Real Name
    Peter

Cool. I'll have to give that a try with my 50D, but don't imagine much IR will get through.

I take it then that even using an R72 if no IR gets through then any shots with an R72 are actually a "faux" IR?
    Sorry Terry missed this. Actually all IR cameras and filter are 'near IR' as infra-red is invisible and well above the 720ish recorded by a sensor. If you do get a filter don't forget to post some shots.

Peter

I've already got one, had it for years. I have a few shots taken using it with a Canon G3. Right now, my present computer is so unstable, I'm reluctanct to put any time into editing photos for fear of it crashing on me in the middle of editing. New parts are on the way. Hopefully I can post some by the weekend. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see if I can get any posted before then. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on them, don't have many though, but maybe I'll brush the dust off the G3 or even give it a whirl with the 50D. I've always wondered what the snow would look like through the R72.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice!