Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Everyone's a Critic

Real Name
    John

Everyone's a Critic

Posting outside book center in process of being renovated.
    Everyone's a Critic

Re: Everyone's a Critic

I think I know what you were trying for here. The light was pretty tough though. Half the sign in full light is hard enough and then add the orange door, it just pulls the eye right to it. Was there a way to step farther front to eliminate the pole?

Real Name
    Troy

Well, I like everything about it except for the shadow. It seems neither side was properly exposed because of this. I don't know if you were trying to capture the shadow or not, but I probably would prefer that you would have taken the image 20 minutes before or after

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    I think I know what you were trying for here. The light was pretty tough though. Half the sign in full light is hard enough and then add the orange door, it just pulls the eye right to it. Was there a way to step farther front to eliminate the pole?
    I think the pole's position is a key part of the composition with the arrow head abutting. It's the sort of shot I'd take and then realise it doesn't really work, in this case, largely because of the sun/shadox thing despite good processing to reduce the dynamic range, but there are a few other distractions too.

As Terry says, I can see the intent, but sadly it hasn't really come off.

Cheers,

Shadowman

I have an edit of your shot, which I think makes it stronger. May I post it - or would you rather I didn't?

Real Name
    John

Feel free.
    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Shadowman

I have an edit of your shot, which I think makes it stronger. May I post it - or would you rather I didn't?

Real Name
    John

Terry,

I could have but this was one of those quick shots that grabs your attention. I was waiting for a train, that's part of the platform you are referring to, and it just arriving at the station when I turned around and saw the sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post

Real Name
    John

Troy,

I see what you mean but time was fleeting, I was waiting for a train and just happened to see the image and just took the photograph. One of those "wish I had more time moments".
    Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    Well, I like everything about it except for the shadow. It seems neither side was properly exposed because of this. I don't know if you were trying to capture the shadow or not, but I probably would prefer that you would have taken the image 20 minutes before or after

Real Name
    John

I don't know that it misses the mark, I see it as sort of a social commentary on urban blight or reconstruction of the city and education or ignorance, with the directions to the book store and the scrawl of the little figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I think the pole's position is a key part of the composition with the arrow head abutting. It's the sort of shot I'd take and then realise it doesn't really work, in this case, largely because of the sun/shadox thing despite good processing to reduce the dynamic range, but there are a few other distractions too.

As Terry says, I can see the intent, but sadly it hasn't really come off.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Feel free.
    Thanks Shadowman

I think this was a good subject - it's what I call 'urban'. I just thought it would benefit from more contrast and colour to give it a grittier edge. I made the contrast much stronger and boosted the colours (the reds are very nice). I cropped the pole because I didn't think it added very much. The figure, and the left side of the doorway now form vertical thirds, and there are now two very strong horizontal thirds. All of this nicely frames the wording 'Book Art Centre', which is , I presume the subject of the shot. I 'dodged' some of the whiter area in the shadows to make them stand out, as I made the shadows on the left darker.

I would have been pleased to take this, but I would have edited it as I have done. A matter of personal choice I suppose. You probably won't like it.

Everyone's a Critic
    Last edited by carregwen; 2nd March 2010 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I think the pole's position is a key part of the composition with the arrow head abutting...
    Yes, I see what you're saying now. Agree.

Real Name
    John

Actually Rob I like it very much. The colors and contrast really jump off the screen. Arts Center sign was the subject but it is coupled with the words the cutout figure is writing "kindergarden is bulls***!." I think that is part of the social commentary that the image conveys. I hope everyone caught that.

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Thanks Shadowman

I think this was a good subject - it's what I call 'urban'. I just thought it would benefit from more contrast and colour to give it a grittier edge. I made the contrast much stronger and boosted the colours (the reds are very nice). I cropped the pole because I didn't think it added very much. The figure, and the left side of the doorway now form vertical thirds, and there are now two very strong horizontal thirds. All of this nicely frames the wording 'Book Art Centre', which is , I presume the subject of the shot. I 'dodged' some of the whiter area in the shadows to make them stand out, as I made the shadows on the left darker.

I would have been pleased to take this, but I would have edited it as I have done. A matter of personal choice I suppose. You probably won't like it.

Everyone's a Critic