Thread: what is the correct file order in PS CC?(raw,tif,psd)

Real Name
    Binnur

what is the correct file order in PS CC?(raw,tif,psd)

When I process in CR I start with a raw file ,after editing in CR if I open it in photoshop,edits in photoshop can't be recorded to the xmp file anymore and if I want to save the file I can save it in psd format.

My photoshop book made me start with a tif file in one of the lessons and I saved it as psd right in the beginning to edit in photoshop.

So what is the order of the files for proper editing and storing?I can guess that I have to start with raw in CR,this is easy part But when I have to turn to tif and when I have to turn to psd?I read that tiff files are better for storage,so is it possible to edit tiff files in photoshop without turning to psd?If not why do I need a tif file if the file doesn't contain the whole edit?

Re: what is the correct file order in PS CC?(raw,tif,psd)

I start in raw.
    After basic edits (in Lightroom) I save it a a PSD
    If I want to archive it (not a lot of the time) it is still a PSD (with layers).
    For publishing is is save as a maximum quality jpg.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTaylor View Post
    I start in raw.
    After basic edits (in Lightroom) I save it a a PSD
    If I want to archive it (not a lot of the time) it is still a PSD (with layers).
    For publishing is is save as a maximum quality jpg.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Binnur: it depends, my usual is open in ACR, make adjustment then hit done, reopen image or images that I want to further work on, hit open that takes me in Photoshop CC. Add any adjustment layers than save as a psd.
    Now if doing HDR or pans, opens images in ACR make adjustments, hit done, now reopen the required images for the HDR shot or the pan in the required program, once done save as a tif, close, now reopen it in ACR as this allows me to rework the tif as if it were a raw file, any changes done I now hit open and it takes me to Photoshop CC where at the end of the workflow it is saved as a psd.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Allan What I understand from your comments is that you save the raw of tif file as psd at the end of your work flow in PS CC after finishing edits.Does it make any difference to save a raw or a tif file as psd at the beginning of the work flow in PS CC and then carry on the edits and save again at the end of the work flow?

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Binnur: it depends, my usual is open in ACR, make adjustment then hit done, reopen image or images that I want to further work on, hit open that takes me in Photoshop CC. Add any adjustment layers than save as a psd.
    Now if doing HDR or pans, opens images in ACR make adjustments, hit done, now reopen the required images for the HDR shot or the pan in the required program, once done save as a tif, close, now reopen it in ACR as this allows me to rework the tif as if it were a raw file, any changes done I now hit open and it takes me to Photoshop CC where at the end of the workflow it is saved as a psd.

Cheers: Allan

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Richard Taylor's save is the one I use. After I had transferred my shots in the hard drive, after firing up Photoshop, I save mine as a PSD first then I can go from there to PP. If I save as a JPG or TIF first it always asked if I want to save the image again. It saves as a psd anyway. Saving in psd saves a lot of problems if you want to go back and re-edit. All the layers are still there for you to manipulate again.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Isabel.I think it is better to turn to psd like you say just after editing in camera raw and opening the file in photoshop.May I ask one more question? In photoshop book I was triying to edit a psd file with the directions in the book.What I noticed is that when you save your edits as psd you can go back and re-edit because all the layers are there as you say but if you close your file after saving,when you re-open it the layers are not there.Is this the way it is or did I make a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Richard Taylor's save is the one I use. After I had transferred my shots in the hard drive, after firing up Photoshop, I save mine as a PSD first then I can go from there to PP. If I save as a JPG or TIF first it always asked if I want to save the image again. It saves as a psd anyway. Saving in psd saves a lot of problems if you want to go back and re-edit. All the layers are still there for you to manipulate again.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Binnur - I also use Richard's workflow.

I do not archive TIFF files because they do not really do anything for me. When I finish my edits, the output is a high quality jpeg. If I plan to print the image, I will save it "full size" and will usually create a smaller version for display on the net or on a computer screen. The .psd files are archived sometimes, but not always. I always archive the original files that have come ou of the camera.

I use a number of different RAW converters; usually ACR, but depending on the image, I will also use Nikon View NX2 or DxO Optics Pro.

Real Name
    Binnur

Isabel,please ignore my last question,layers are there after saving and re-opening the file but I couldn't re-edit them because I didn't hit the right icon

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Thank you Isabel.I think it is better to turn to psd like you say just after editing in camera raw and opening the file in photoshop.May I ask one more question? In photoshop book I was triying to edit a psd file with the directions in the book.What I noticed is that when you save your edits as psd you can go back and re-edit because all the layers are there as you say but if you close your file after saving,when you re-open it the layers are not there.Is this the way it is or did I make a mistake?

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Manfred,I will follow the same path I might as well think about the best longterm storage way for the files later,first I have to learn basics in PS CC.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Binnur - I also use Richard's workflow.

I do not archive TIFF files because they do not really do anything for me. When I finish my edits, the output is a high quality jpeg. If I plan to print the image, I will save it "full size" and will usually create a smaller version for display on the net or on a computer screen. The .psd files are archived sometimes, but not always. I always archive the original files that have come ou of the camera.

I use a number of different RAW converters; usually ACR, but depending on the image, I will also use Nikon View NX2 or DxO Optics Pro.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I'm with Richard as well, but...if I publish on the net, I will make a copy of the image>flatten it>resize and convert to sRGB from ProPhoto (I found that step allows me to decrease when necessary) then Save for Web. For some reason, changing to sRGB seems to automatically boost saturation.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Boyer,useful tips for me

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I'm with Richard as well, but...if I publish on the net, I will make a copy of the image>flatten it>resize and convert to sRGB from ProPhoto (I found that step allows me to decrease when necessary) then Save for Web. For some reason, changing to sRGB seems to automatically boost saturation.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Boyer,useful tips for me

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post