Thread: PhotoCompetition for March 2014 - THE RESULT

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

PhotoCompetition for March 2014 - THE RESULT

Well, that was quite a battle. Voting was so tight all the way through.

Mike's 'Decanting the Wine' led for most of the time, until the last few votes came in and pushed it down into 4th place ... by only one vote! Others that get a honourable mention are Entry Numbers 1 and 20. To view the full entry list, click here.

So the top spots ............

In 2nd Equal position are:

Gretar (gretarsk)

with

and

Sarah (Selaveliz)

with

And in first place (again!) is:

Bobo (Bobobird)

with

The April competition is now under way. Just click here to post your entry.
    Last edited by Donald; 11th April 2014 at 10:02 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: PhotoCompetition for March 2014 - THE RESULT

congratulations bobo!!!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Way to go, everyone! The collection of images for the month is really terrific and, as always, the winning entries deserve the honor being given to them. Special congratulations to Bobo for being consistently in the winner's circle of late.

Real Name
    Christina

Congratulations to all! And a special congrats to Mike for his gorgeous image, "Decanting the Wine."

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Congratulations to all winners, very well done indeed.

Dave

Real Name
    Kurt Pedersen

Great pictures - it would be interesting to have a contest where the pics are not photoshoped although admittedly they would probably not have the same dramatic effect. I also wonder if the metadata along with the post processing steps were available that too would add an element of learning. On the other hand I don't make it to this forum often enough yet to figure out all the nuances so maybe the meta data and PP steps are there somewhere and I haven't found the right button to push. I have tried to upload pics but couldn't find where they went. I will have to spend more time here learning. Anyway I really liked the pics for March.

Real Name
    Terry

Congratulations to everyone who entered the March comp. Outstanding stuff. And to the winners especially.

Well done everyone!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Welcome to CiC, Kurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtp View Post
    I also wonder if the metadata along with the post processing steps were available that too would add an element of learning.
    Some people remove the metadata. Some people use links to images posted at web sites that remove the metadata.

None of the metadata is stripped in the photos that I post. All of my studio shots include in the metadata rather detailed information about the setup that I used. That's actually for my future reference and I don't mind that others can view those details. If you're interested, download my images and review the Description metadata field.

As an example, the information about the photo that I entered in the contest has the following metadata:

"Flash shining from behind through translucent vellum background. Small lamp with handmade snoot lights the wine bottle from the front right side. Tabletop is textured, white water color paper. Belle Glos Wines 2011 Dairyman Vineyard pinot noir."
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 12th April 2014 at 03:40 AM.

Congratulations. Super images all.

Real Name
    Bobo

Indeed a pleasant surprise. Thanks to everyone who voted for Whitey. I concur with Christina about Mike's image and congratulate him on a wonderfully crafted shot.

Would like a moment to respond to Kurt's comment about photoshopping and recommend to him this article. http://www.creativepro.com/article/a...re-manipulated. Would further suggest that you open up a new topic in the post-processing or general discussion forums so that this can be addressed properly. This is not quite the place for it.

Dang. Where did my manners go? Congrats too to gretarsk and Sarah for 2 stunning landscapes.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 12th April 2014 at 06:55 PM.

Real Name
    Gretar

Congratulations to all who participated with such great photos and especially to Bobo whose photos I always enjoy and admire.
    Thanks for voting for "Moss and Lava". Finishing second is a huge and pleasant surprise for me. Since I've only recently taken up photography again after a break of about 35 years this certainly encourages me to keep on "shooting":-)

Real Name
    Matthew

Congrats to the finalists / winners, as well as a pat on the back for those closely following. Well done!

I second Bobo's comment regarding Kurt's comment, and would add that the article linked to is decent but does not cover 100% of the "argument" in support of "editing" photos (although for me personally the examples were slightly overdone, which seems to hurt the argument in this case, but the principles being written about were legitimate). Not only that, but the discussion has got old for me, and I've grown tired of trying to "educate" everyone about it. I'll leave it at that, and as Bobo said, another thread would be a better way to talk about it (or even links to existing threads).

Real Name
    John

Congrats.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by gretarsk View Post
    Congratulations to all who participated with such great photos and especially to Bobo whose photos I always enjoy and admire.
    Thanks for voting for "Moss and Lava". Finishing second is a huge and pleasant surprise for me. Since I've only recently taken up photography again after a break of about 35 years this certainly encourages me to keep on "shooting":-)
    Wow! 35 years. That is a long long time. Welcome back then to this world.
    Thanks for your kind words. I don't have the experience of most here but make up for that by being a hard worker and good learner.

Real Name
    Sylvain

All great photos, I'm fan of Bobo and Gretar, superb moss and lava.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Congratulations Bobo for an outstanding entry. The win is so much more earned given the very tough competition in this set of images. Well done!