Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lean Times

Real Name
    Steve

Lean Times

Made some time to do a little shooting today................Hope you like them. Hope this isn't too many, but they kind of tell a sad story. It's truely amazing they survive the winter. As always critique welcome.

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Re: Lean Times

Good shots, Steve. The exposure seems well handled despite the bright snow. I see you used ISO100. I think on ISO200 you would have halved your shutter speed - say from 1/100s to 1/200s, although I see that one shot was at 1/320s. Were they moving very much? Nice set.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks rob. I prob. should have raised the iso. It was ok at first and then things started to happen fast and i forgot. Too much to think about in a 1/2 of second, but i'm getting better at it.

I was shooting in aperature priority...........exposure lock>focus>composition> shoot........check histograms for exposure........i had plenty to keep my mind off the iso button.

They really weren't moving that fast, but the light was changing enought to slow the shutter speed down. They usually take their time in the deep snow.

Real Name
    David

Steve - nice shots, the last two especially for candid composition. Are they displayed in time sequence? I ask because I've noticed when I take wildlife shots that I seem to get better at capturing and composition as time goes by, as if I am literally getting my eye in. Maybe it's to do with relaxing and with understanding what the animals or birds are going to do, I don't really know. Anyway, good shooting.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Steve

I think they are all great; I like number 1 best but number 2 is a christmas card.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Steve,
    Nice series!

Real Name
    John

Nice shots, the deer in our area start to wander into the city during the winter. It's like they know hunting season is over. I took a quick photo of a deer that was standing about five feet away from me separated by a fence. I was surprised that the deer wasn't startled by my motion of reaching for my camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Made some time to do a little shooting today................Hope you like them. Hope this isn't too many, but they kind of tell a sad story. It's truely amazing they survive the winter. As always critique welcome.

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Lean Times

Nice shots! Very sharp, very rich, good poses/compositions.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Steve - nice shots, the last two especially for candid composition. Are they displayed in time sequence? I ask because I've noticed when I take wildlife shots that I seem to get better at capturing and composition as time goes by, as if I am literally getting my eye in. Maybe it's to do with relaxing and with understanding what the animals or birds are going to do, I don't really know. Anyway, good shooting.

Cheers

David
    Thanks david, they are pretty much in sequence. I think your right about getting into a groove after you settle in. You start to focus on everything and wait for the shot to develope, instead of taking snaps.(i tend to do this at first because getting any shot is better than none, but after i get a few , i wait for something unique to happen.)

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks , arith/jim...............glad you liked them.

Very nice. 1 and 4 are my favorite, especially 4.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks shadow, i know what you mean. These deer were shot in a park..........wild, but very tolerant of people. Makes for some great shooting.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks bleys.

Real Name
    Steve

Sorry terry, didn't see that you snuck in there. Thanks for the comments, glad you liked them.

These deer were shot in a park..........wild, but very tolerant of people. Makes for some great shooting.
    Ahhhh that explains it - I always wondered how you got all your wildlife shots. You'd be hard pressed to get the sequence of shots you achieve on the deer down in these parts. You might get one head shot and the next would be the rear end as it crashes off through the bush

Very good sequence though - really like the feeding ones - nice one.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve (S),

As Steve (H) says, it is the feeding ones, not what you commonly see that make the series for me.
    Although the last one is cute too.

Excellent stuff,

Sorry terry, didn't see that you snuck in there. Thanks for the comments, glad you liked them.
    You're welcome. Reminds me of back in eastern Pennsylvania. We don't have deer here. Our four legged critters are, um, bigger. Moose and bears, with the occasional wolf thrown in.