Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need help deciding between two pictures for a contest

Real Name
    Lars Martin Teigen

Need help deciding between two pictures for a contest

I am going to submit a version of this picture to a contest for members of photo clubs in my country. Its regular open color and open monochrome. But its also a special theme called "Humor". I have taken this one for the theme , but I can`t decide what version I am going to submit.

The one with two tables is perhaps more realistic ? But the other one is more simple and takes you eyes straight to the subject?

So please help me and comment what version you like and why ? if there are some other things that can be fixed please comment on that also.

keep in mind that the jury probably looks at the pictures for 5 - 10 seconds.

Please not share the pictures outside this forum.

Last edited by teigas; 9th April 2014 at 04:12 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Need help deciding between two pictures for a contest

The first one for the reasons you stated, however the crop is a bit severe, especially below the fireman's knees. The dress is a nice touch but is mostly blocked by the helmet and arm, would look better hanging on doorknob or eliminated.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Totally agree with John, but...I gotta say that I looked longer than the 10-15 seconds...why...I'm glad you asked, it's because I loved it as it took me back many years through all of my nine.

Real Name
    John

I think 1 too but feel that the fireman doesn't stand out enough because of all that white. I tried one method of changing this that you could try. Don't worry as I don't intend to do anything with the shot.

I used levels. On the one I use there are 2 sliders. One is the input the other is the output. Maximum white is 255 on the output so slid this back to 230. This dulls the whites and compresses the tonal range a bit. I then adjusted the input grey point slider to balance up the fireman. Then unsharp mask to taste. You'll find that this sort of approach can make the fireman a bit more prominent so more likely to grab the eye. I often feel too bright a white in backgrounds doesn't work well and noticed on the input histogram that every ounce of tonal range is used up.

John
    -

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Definitely the first one and I also agree with John (Shadowman).

Real Name
    Lars Martin Teigen

input grey point slider to balance up the fireman

The input grey point slider is the one in the middle ? On the levels panel? Usally stands 1,00 if not touched?
    To balance him up? Do you mean make him lighter or darken him down? If i go towards 0,90 he gets darked, and the other way lighter.

Thank for the input

Real Name
    Lars Martin Teigen

Thanks for giving me feedback. I dont have anything left below the knee, because we moved the camera for the second time when the second table was taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by teigas View Post
    I dont have anything left below the knee
    If you have the required post-processing skills and if the contest rules allow, you could increase the canvas size at the bottom of the photo and then clone the floor to add content below the knee.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by teigas View Post
    input grey point slider to balance up the fireman

The input grey point slider is the one in the middle ? On the levels panel? Usally stands 1,00 if not touched?
    To balance him up? Do you mean make him lighter or darken him down? If i go towards 0,90 he gets darked, and the other way lighter.

Thank for the input
    Yes in the middle. You wont need to move it much, just a touch towards the dark end. Move it till he looks right tonally. Much the same as he initially was except the white in the helmet will be a touch darker. This is effectively playing with the mid tone contrast. If I remember correctly it wasn't far below one, 0.9 something high. The sharpening helps further. Just watch you don't get holo's forming as I have as I did it too quickly.

I'll post the shot and delete it later if you want. Then you can see if it's worth the effort.

Mike / John - worth the effort? The basic idea was knock back the whites - fireman stand out more - tell a story - fireman - oh he's changing the nappy on the baby rather than the décor playing too much of a part. I think it adds a bit more depth to the shot as well.

John
    -
    Last edited by ajohnw; 9th April 2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Curiosity

Clearly, that change is worth the effort.

Real Name
    Lars Martin Teigen

Thanks for the feedback Will try and experiment a little bit. Will go for number one, so the problem is solved

What do you think of the concept? Do people find it funny?

It's very entertaining for me. Great idea! The adult's duties being undertaken in the photo also remind me of one of the reasons my wife and I opted not to have children.

Real Name
    John

Very funny, considering the number of diapers I changed over the years. If only I knew...

Real Name
    Lars Martin Teigen

Thanks for the help I delivered number 1 A litle bit darker on the suite.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

I know I am rather late to the party, but my choice would also be #1. I like the concept as well. Sometimes I did wish for a gas mask, at least when changing our babies. Your image made me smile.

Marie