Thread: How do I downsize and post a panorama ?

Real Name
    Grahame

How do I downsize and post a panorama ?

I have just completed a panorama of which in it's PSD format is 23439 x 2584 px with a file size of 158,250Kb and wish to post this here.

Donald produced the superb example a couple of days ago for which we could view the small and much larger size image so easily but I seem to have a brain lock up at the moment with the downsizing method.

I use Elements and normally resize down to my standard 1200px width for here and post only using Tiny Pic.

Grahame

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: How do I downsize and post a panorama ?

Grahame - I suspect that the issue is your host. If you use a host that lets you store a larger file (I use Flickr, which has this feature; up to 36MP) and this will let you link to a large file. CiC will resize it to fit on the screen, but click on it and it will give you a large size pano.

Real Name
    Grahame

Manfred, my question is more to do with what is the best size to downsize the PSD at it's full pixel size to a reduced sized Jpeg for posting here for reasonable viewing. Is it as simple as downsizing to say a 600/700 px height Jpeg that would view in full height on most screens allowing the viewer to scroll across?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Grahame I think anything larger than 1600 pixels wide will be downsized by TinyPic. Your best bet is to use an external host such as Flickr (which is where Donald's pano is). I see you use Smugmug but I don't know whether you can direct link to images on that site or not, or what is the max size you can post on that site.

Donald's great pano is 16008 x 2639. You have to scroll both horizontally and vertically to see the whole image. I think something say 1000 pixels high would still give good resolution and wouldn't require scrolling vertically on many screens.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 9th April 2014 at 03:54 AM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

This is approximately the same proportions but only 9000 pixels across, has been resized to 1600x147 to see what happens through Tinypix ....

Now loading a 3200x294 version....

Second Edit ....I do not really thing a computer monitor is the right place to display such an image ... earlier I made a print of it on A4 paper, numberous sheets and taped them together so that the height was a reasonable size for viewing.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 9th April 2014 at 05:20 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks Dave, I have just uploaded it to Smugmug, their max size limit is well in excess of what I need. Just working on how to link it as I know others here use Smugmug and link to it.

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

JC,

Tinypic will limit it to 1600px whatever size you give it I believe. Not sure I would agree that the monitor is not a good place to display one, it's certainly the only means I had of viewing Donald's masterpiece.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I was merely showing you what it was likely to look like. You didn't seem to be willing to put your toe in the water.

Real Name
    Grahame

JC,

All sorted and have managed to post it so it can be scrolled through easily in the lytebox without having to scroll the vertical height. It's not that I was not willing it was something I had not had to consider and work out before which taxes my old ageing brain

Grahame