Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Swansea marina #1

  1. #1

    Swansea marina #1

    I shot this with my new screw-in Sigma DG polariser. It's the first time I've had a screw-in as all my lenses now have the same thread (77mm). Otherwise it's too expensive to have different filters. It was cloudy in this shot so not much polarising of the sky, but it works really well at bringing out nice soft colours. A good filter, but not cheap at 110. Haven't told the wife yet.

    Swansea marina #1

  2. #2
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Swansea marina #1

    It's a brilliant shot, I've got the same polariser only mine was second hand.

  3. #3
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,677
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Swansea marina #1

    Very nice photo. I thought a polarizer filter would darken or create more contrast in the sky?
    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I shot this with my new screw-in Sigma DG polariser. It's the first time I've had a screw-in as all my lenses now have the same thread (77mm). Otherwise it's too expensive to have different filters. It was cloudy in this shot so not much polarising of the sky, but it works really well at bringing out nice soft colours. A good filter, but not cheap at 110. Haven't told the wife yet.

    Swansea marina #1

  4. #4

    Re: Swansea marina #1

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    ...I thought a polarizer filter would darken or create more contrast in the sky?
    It does create more contrast in the sky, but there really needs to be more blue in the sky than there was here (it was sunny, but there was some hazy cloudy as well). You also need to have the sun at 90 degrees to your axis line between you and the subject. In this shot the polarizer has made the colours very pleasing to the eye.

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    ... I've got the same polariser only mine was second hand.
    Thanks. Steve. I thought it would make a good jig-saw puzzle - all that detail in the boats and buildings! Nothing wrong with second-hand - half my gear is, including my 5D and my 'L' lens.

  5. #5
    David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire and Dumfries & Galloway
    Posts
    732
    Real Name
    David

    Re: Swansea marina #1

    Rob - really good composition with the buoys taking the eye in from the left-hand edge, the tower at the back being balanced by the mast in the right fore-ground, the deep recession countered by the foreground interest. I like it a lot. One niggle is that on my screen the left hand building with the gable end does not appear completely vertical and appears to me to lean i. What do you think?

    Cheers

    David

  6. #6

    Re: Swansea marina #1

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Rob - really good composition with the buoys taking the eye in from the left-hand edge, the tower at the back being balanced by the mast in the right fore-ground, the deep recession countered by the foreground interest. I like it a lot. One niggle is that on my screen the left hand building with the gable end does not appear completely vertical and appears to me to lean i. What do you think?

    Cheers

    David
    Thanks David. Yes it does lean a little, I think. I can easily correct that in CS4. Glad you like the shot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •