Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Danish Artist Trumps Golf Course

Real Name
    David

Danish Artist Trumps Golf Course

Hi All - There are many beautiful and unspoilt routes through the countryside in South West Scotland. In particular, a minor road wends its way from Lochfoot (near Dumfries) to Haugh of Urr (near Castle Douglas). There are many fine photographic opportunities from traditional farmhouses to lonely broken trees to wild majestic views across the marshes to ancient hills. However, while sauntering along one day recently, I took the following image. It has been tweaked slightly to enhance saturation and sharpness and to crop to a 2:1 format.

I had been struck by a strong resemblance to a certain wallpaper associated with a well-known Microsoft operating system - rolling green fields and blue sky. I have to say that I was pleased with the result. In my enthusiasm, I showed it to my dear sister-in-law, a keen observer of the countryside. She promptly burst my balloon by stating that it looked like a golf course! Golf courses in Scotland have cliffs , sand quarries, marshes, and postage stamp greens, not these beautiful rolling hills, expressive trees and soft clouds. Nevertheless, the damage was done, with all the wind taken from my sails. Thus, I put the image to the back of the file system and forgot about it.

However, flicking through one of my art books yesterday I came across this image.

This is a copy of a copy of an oil painting by the well-known Danish artist Vilhelm Hammershoi. I've filched this image from http://www.kunstkopie.de

I trust that they won't mind as I've just given them some publicity.

As you see, the Hammershoi landscape (of a scene near Larje) anticipated my photo by about 150 years. Thus, I've retrieved my image and claim that the Danish artist has trumped the golf course.

(To those who are wondering: there are famous Danish artists, look them up in Wikipedia; and no I'm not referring to one Donald Trump, who likes to try to build golf courses in Scotland, but to trump as in card games!)

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Danish Artist Trumps Golf Course

That is quite staggering.

ps. Yours is a lovely image that conveys that part of the world wonderfully well.

Real Name
    Steve

Of course it is all covered in snow at the moment. I prefer yours.

Lovely composition, David. I like especially the low cloud on the left which pairs with the group of trees on the right. Well done.

You could always sue Hammershoi?

Real Name
    David

Thanks for the comments, guys. It turns out that Hammershoi was better known for his melancholic interiors with solitary figures. Guess he was on a bender the day he painted Larje.

Cheers

David