Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiple flash photography...

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Multiple flash photography...

If you read the YongNuo manual is says that up to 180 units can be fired ... perhaps that is the number they had available for the test ....anyway ....

The reason to use the pop-up is that it is the simplest and cheapest route .... must admit I have something to fire multiple flashes but never used it so far ... I rarely use flash anyway being lazy.

I wonder Isabel if your aversion to the pop-up comes from the downplaying of it firstly as a bad tool and ineffective ... when these days it is neither when used in an appropriate way.

Note I said to hide the subject from the pop-up if you like ... it would avoid 'red-eye' effects ... but when it is a 'still life' there are no eyes to get red.

Much as the pop-up is good as a syncro sunlight tool to lighten shadows cast by the sun on our subject what we are doing is simply using it as a 'Fill' light in the studio terms to avoid the harsh shadows from the 'key' light. This is a technical requirement of firstly film and these days the capability of the sensor.

Frankly I detest and consider pretty bad the common approach to studio lighting of using a couple of flash units with umbrellas, flat lighting with light splashed all around the place .... but then I was started in studio lighting with spot light[s] and flood fill lights. Ratio one to two was the allocation as a student.

In using the pop-up originally I covered the light with a piece of card but subsequently when I felt it was too strong I covered half with my finger for a better key/fill balance.

You are well away with your YN flashes as you can turn the base to face the camera's pop-up and unless you are going to do portraits the light is probably quite suitable .... though as you get past first base you could probaly make some cardboard tubes to stop the light spraying all over the place but going where you want it to go and there are also 'flags', hanging curtains/shades and all sorts of tricks mentioned in that book I suggested as well as lots of other places.

Read up about using Mode S2 which is supposed to supress pre-flashes the camera may admit for focusing etc and only fires for the photo

Multiple flash photography...

This is the simple cardboard tube with a hole cut in it so it worked as both key 'spot' light and background light.
    While it has been suggested that you get a stand for your flash units another useful gadget is a boom support for the flash ... I am a DIYerNut so I made it myself before I invested in proper lighting stands.

The 'J' stands for John but really I am jcuknz and if you did a Google search you would find page after page of references to the guy ... but when I used my name I think it was around page five before I found something I could tie in to myself and earlier found a professional photographer of my name in the UK ... so better to use jcuknz to avoid misunderstandings

Also shown in photos are two of my early "optical triggers" which are needed if using flashguns without built-in variety which you fortunately do not need unless you pick up a s/h unit for a third unit etc. I worked it out that buying a 'dumb flash' and a trigger cost approaching what you pay for the YN but I have mine from the past.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 8th April 2014 at 09:28 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

This is wonderful information, John...I'd rather call you John -- I feel like I am addressing human being...not one of David or Grahame's bugs....
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    If you read the YongNuo manual is says that up to 180 units can be fired ... perhaps that is the number they had available for the test ....anyway ....
    I had been using my first YongNuo for a good while after one of my trips to Australia and asked my DIL to read to me the Chinese manual that came with it. Earlier last year I was browsing the internet and accidentally found an English manual for it, so I save it just in case...

The reason to use the pop-up is that it is the simplest and cheapest route .... must admit I have something to fire multiple flashes but never used it so far ... I rarely use flash anyway being lazy.

I wonder Isabel if your aversion to the pop-up comes from the downplaying of it firstly as a bad tool and ineffective ... when these days it is neither when used in an appropriate way.
    Yes. You are right. I bought some gadgets for it like Professor Kobre's Light Scoop and was given something else by a friend who thought she owe's me something, that I am lazy to use. The Light Scoop is OK in some places but when the ceiling is high, it just isn't worth taking it out. And you cannot rotate it to hit the nearest wall because it is a static thing that connects to the hot shoe.

Note I said to hide the subject from the pop-up if you like ... it would avoid 'red-eye' effects ... but when it is a 'still life' there are no eyes to get red.

Much as the pop-up is good as a syncro sunlight tool to lighten shadows cast by the sun on our subject what we are doing is simply using it as a 'Fill' light in the studio terms to avoid the harsh shadows from the 'key' light. This is a technical requirement of firstly film and these days the capability of the sensor.

Frankly I detest and consider pretty bad the common approach to studio lighting of using a couple of flash units with umbrellas, flat lighting with light splashed all around the place .... but then I was started in studio lighting with spot light[s] and flood fill lights. Ratio one to two was the allocation as a student.
    I once attended a studio lighting class but the teacher did not explain why we are using such and such flash gun for the umbrella and how to set it up...and amongst other things that needed to be taught...in short, he is not a good teacher. My friend and I came away with good shots but never knew how we got it despite the notes we took personally. If I am going to pay for a course, I want to know why I am doing such and such and how. He set up the lights on the objects we were to shoot and sat down in the sidelines...and his gear was just too expensive for me and too bulky...

In using the pop-up originally I covered the light with a piece of card but subsequently when I felt it was too strong I covered half with my finger for a better key/fill balance.

You are well away with your YN flashes as you can turn the base to face the camera's pop-up and unless you are going to do portraits the light is probably quite suitable .... though as you get past first base you could probaly make some cardboard tubes to stop the light spraying all over the place but going where you want it to go and there are also 'flags', hanging curtains/shades and all sorts of tricks mentioned in that book I suggested as well as lots of other places.

Read up about using Mode S2 which is supposed to supress pre-flashes the camera may admit for focusing etc and only fires for the photo

Multiple flash photography...

This is the simple cardboard tube with a hole cut in it so it worked as both key 'spot' light and background light.
    While it has been suggested that you get a stand for your flash units another useful gadget is a boom support for the flash ... I am a DIYerNut so I made it myself before I invested in proper lighting stands.
    I am more handy in the kitchen than in making gadgets for myself...and I live too far away across the pond from one of my sons who is handy with his hands...it would have been nice if he lives nearby but he doesn't want it here in the US...too near to mom...

The 'J' stands for John but really I am jcuknz and if you did a Google search you would find page after page of references to the guy ... but when I used my name I think it was around page five before I found something I could tie in to myself and earlier found a professional photographer of my name in the UK ... so better to use jcuknz to avoid misunderstandings
    The trick to get yourself in the first page is for people to search your name often. And to get yourself have a lot of search is to do something extraordinary, like committing a crime...

Also shown in photos are two of my early "optical triggers" which are needed if using flashguns without built-in variety which you fortunately do not need unless you pick up a s/h unit for a third unit etc. I worked it out that buying a 'dumb flash' and a trigger cost approaching what you pay for the YN but I have mine from the past.
    I am on my way to buy a light stand soon as I know which one I like...that will help me a lot.

Thanks John........for all your help....

Real Name
    Jim Singler

Isabel:

If you'd like to get some hands on experience with lighting, there's a local group, the St. Louis Photography Club, that meets weekly in a studio and provides great learning experiences. I also recommend checking out youtube videos on multi flash photography. Good luck.

http://www.meetup.com/photo-602/

Jim

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by singlerosa View Post
    Isabel:

If you'd like to get some hands on experience with lighting, there's a local group, the St. Louis Photography Club, that meets weekly in a studio and provides great learning experiences. I also recommend checking out youtube videos on multi flash photography. Good luck.

http://www.meetup.com/photo-602/

Jim
    Jim, I used to be a member of that group. I did arranged for one meetup at our hangar and introduced the organizer to the owners of the airport and she bungled the payment for the museum visit' and was so disorganized that many who came can't find a parking space for her members who came when one big area was in front of her eyes. She sent them away instead of asking the owners of the airport or the extra line boys who were supposed to take care of them. She also bungled the airplane ride that my step-son was giving for members who wanted airplane rides. I resigned because of that.

Thanks for the response...I really appreciate it very much.

may find something like strobist 101 aimed at beginners to flash and how to trigger etc, well worth a look if you're just getting into it and I found it useful when I first started with multiple strobes. Easy to understand and none technical so worth checking if not seen it already

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    may find something like strobist 101 aimed at beginners to flash and how to trigger etc, well worth a look if you're just getting into it and I found it useful when I first started with multiple strobes. Easy to understand and none technical so worth checking if not seen it already
    Srobist is too much information for my little narrow brain, that is why I asked here. I knew I'd get more direct response. And I did - to my satisfaction. Besides I love the folks here. They haven't failed me yet..always ready to help, always ready to banter with me from time to time. Kathy Li even understood that I am not a techie so she explained her opinion and help in a manner that was easy for me to understand. I love her...and so many others here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12