Thread: Best option to buy a EOS 6D

Real Name
    Joan

Best option to buy a EOS 6D

I have gone today to visit a big photography shop here in Barcelona to check the price of a 6D camera body: more than 1700 €. In internet I have seen offers for the same thing for up to around 1200 €. The price difference is noticeable, but I don't know how trustworthy they are and what happens with the guarantee, should any problem arises.

I ihave bought hundreds of times in Ebay with only one bad experience, but I have never bought a so expensive and technically complex item.

Could somebody recommend some place to reliablily buy my 6D for a good price while keeping the guarantee from the manufacturer ?

Any experience sharing will be very appreciated.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Best option to buy a EOS 6D

I own the 6D, and would urge you to but it from a reputable dealer. When you are spending that much money you better be sure that if there is any problem you can go and talk to someone directly. And if you are looking for a deal you can try negotiating on the other add-ones you may need, and the lenses etc. A new 6D without the kit 24-105 lens should be more than 1200 euro, that seems too good to be true.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

http://www.adorama.com/ICA6DB.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-20-2-Dig...words=canon+6d
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ta

I bought from an ebay dealer only once and had a tough time with warranty work...buy from reputable dealer. Buying extra warranties is a waste of money.

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I own the 6D, and would urge you to but it from a reputable dealer. When you are spending that much money you better be sure that if there is any problem you can go and talk to someone directly. And if you are looking for a deal you can try negotiating on the other add-ones you may need, and the lenses etc. A new 6D without the kit 24-105 lens should be more than 1200 euro, that seems too good to be true.
    https://www.canonistas.com/index.php...non_SLRD#eos6d ??
    http://www.valuebasket.es/es_ES/sear...by_ss?q=Eos+6d ??

Real Name
    Mario

I have the 6D also. I shopped for months and I saw the same deals on eBay. In the end I did what the other guys said. I wouldn't take the gamble with that much money. A good friend of mine is about to purchase one of the eBay deals that includes several lenses, a tripod, bags, and accessories for $1600. I think he's insane because two decent lenses are easily half that. Somewhere he will either be robbed on the camera or the gear but he won't listen to me.

Real Name
    John

The problem with Ebay, in the UK at least is that many sellers are importing cameras from where ever and selling them. Lately they say in the UK which isn't the same as Canon UK. There are a few dealers on Ebay that do sell legitimate Canon UK cameras eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-...item1c35e719bc

It comes with a 12month Europe wide Canon guarantee. Some others come with a seller guarantee and cost rather a lot less but if you do have a warrantee claim things can get difficult.

I can't see that a list of North American dealers is of much use to you as I most certainly wouldn't import from there here into the UK and doubt if you would into Spain. There is no harm looking through Ebay Europe wide and seeing if any one is selling reputable stock cheaper than others. Some one often is. There is always a risk going for the cheaper option as camera repairs can be expensive.

John
    -

Real Name
    Joan

The best offer found so far: 1415€ in a shop in Andorra with the official spanish Canon guarantee:

http://www.tagoreandorra.com/index.p...productId=1488

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    The best offer found so far: 1415€ in a shop in Andorra with the official spanish Canon guarantee:

http://www.tagoreandorra.com/index.p...productId=1488
    Andorra has been a fascinating place as it was tax free. Small population that going on cigarette sales all smoked 60 odd a day. Odd as many didn't smoke according to rumour.

John
    -

Real Name
    Omer

Dont canon have an authorized distributor in spain? Just find out who is the official canon distributor for spain and buy from them. They will be cheap and great

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Joan,

Just to provide a bit of a "reality check"; have a read of the reviews below - this is from an (ex) online "store" that attracted a lot of business due to their low prices. I had a look at their web page some time ago and it looked great. This just goes to show how deceiving looks can be:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sonic_Cameras

Personally, I've dealt with B&H Photo Video & Adorama - and recommend them 100%, although I appreciate that they may not be the best for your location (although I'm in New Zealand and I still buy from both of them). Amazon I've had mixed experiences with; most of the time they're fine but on the rare occasions something has gone wrong they became a nightmare (you enter "the system" which makes the Matrix seem like a trivial video game by comparison!).

I'd definitely buy only from an authorised Canon dealer (and verify they are with Canon before you pay!).

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by Omer View Post
    Dont canon have an authorized distributor in spain? Just find out who is the official canon distributor for spain and buy from them. They will be cheap and great
    1740 € .... Great, perhaps, but not cheap at all

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    Andorra has been a fascinating place as it was tax free. Small population that going on cigarette sales all smoked 60 odd a day. Odd as many didn't smoke according to rumour.

John
    -
    It is still tax free. Some years ago people went there to buy liquors, cheese, electronics. Not far away from Barcelona (3 hours by car)

Real Name
    Joan

Best price so far in Barcelona: 1499€:

http://www.jordibasfoto.com/ficha.php?idp=2027

Real Name
    Yes

Check to see if Canon are running any cashback deals. Can cut the cost considerably.

I just bought a lens locally from shop, price quoted was £20 less than any reputable on line retailers, then when I picked it up I asked and was given a further £20 off price. Canon Cashback £170. So I paid £1180 not £1220, and get £170 back. Cheapest grey import was £900 and one could have had to pay customs duty on it.

Real Name
    Richard

I am not familiar with the complexities of international import duties. However, I do know one thing... If a price seems too good to be true - it usually is!

Normally in the USA, if any price is drastically lower than that offered by Adorama or B&H Photo and Video in New York City, the ad is often a scam...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am not familiar with the complexities of international import duties. However, I do know one thing... If a price seems too good to be true - it usually is!

Normally in the USA, if any price is drastically lower than that offered by Adorama or B&H Photo and Video in New York City, the ad is often a scam...
    It's pretty simple in EU countries. We have a tax on the majority of things including services called VAT. Within the EU it's paid at source. It seems that Andorra is given a special status without being actually in the EU. Several countries are the same and even contribute money to help run it and one or two other things. No free lunches there. Odd things happen though. The UK's Channel Isles could sell into the UK and charge no VAT so some items were cheaper - our government decided to change that recently as they thought many businesses would migrate there. Imports from outside of the EU are taxed at VAT rates currently 20% and in some cases additional import duties. This isn't too bad for people used to paying the 20% anyway but they add a collection charge on top of that which can amount to 20 USD or there abouts. The tax free import limit had been 18 GBP for a long long time, it seems that's just been reduced to 15.

John
    -

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    Check to see if Canon are running any cashback deals. Can cut the cost considerably
    Where can I see if there is some Canon cashback deal ?

Real Name
    John

Any main Canon dealer will usually have details on their web site. eg

http://www.parkcameras.com/article/1...k-Cameras.html

I suspect you would need to find some one similar in Spain.

John
    -

Real Name
    Helen Oster

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    ................Personally, I've dealt with B&H Photo Video & Adorama - and recommend them 100%..............
    Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    .....Normally in the USA, if any price is drastically lower than that offered by Adorama or B&H Photo and Video in New York City, the ad is often a scam...
    Thanks so much for the feedback and Adorama recommendations, which are very much appreciated.

You are always most welcome to email me directly if you ever have customer service queries: Helen@adorama.com or need me to put you in touch with a rep for technical information.

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador