Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Critique please

  1. #1
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Critique please

    It is a bit blurred in the distance and blue in the sky. Right, this is three images 1/20 f8 iso 100 infinity was placed at f11 far dof. GND8 Cokin hard filter, haze reduction by setting a multiply layer with 30% opacity and sharpening with high pass filter. All irrelevant I suppose but put it in anyway.

    Critique please

  2. #2
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,288
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Critique please

    Hi Arith,

    I am puzzled why 3 images (presumably HDR) and a GND, was the sky that bright?

    All that effort and you missed the decent suspension bridge in the background and shot the concrete monstrosity

    The mind boggles

  3. #3
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Critique please

    Not HDR, I have already got pics of the suspension bridge but the sky is always bright except at night. These were classic bell shaped histogram with the filter; which is a bit of a guess. I just wanted to get the criss cross of the bridges and cannot do HDR here even with bracketing because of very fast traffic.

    It is indeed a monstrosity, slicing Stapenhill Gardens in two and up until now avoided photographing it. cheers

  4. #4
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Critique please

    Another one

    Critique please

  5. #5
    Terry Tedor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    247

    Re: Critique please

    On the first one, the overhanging branch is distracting and the alignment of the near fence post (2nd from right) and the bridge support pillar bother me. I really like the second. So many nice lines. Looks like a really nice dark and dreary day but I think I'd like to see the shadows opened up a touch to see more of that nicely textured bark. I think I'd be tempted to crop off what's left of the tree at the extreme left edge.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kolkata - INDIA
    Posts
    540

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Another one
    Hi Arith,
    I think your image requires 10% more shadow details..
    Here it is

    Critique please
    Last edited by Ashwin; 26th February 2010 at 12:40 PM.

  7. #7
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Critique please

    Cheers; I use Helicon Filter and it is unstable but since I got those lovely Optik Verve filters I've been trying to use CS2 and I like those filters a lot. I put GG2 filter on the camera and this takes it back off again faded

    Critique please

    It will be nice to know what other peoples crop would be since I like to make pics as confusing as possible; choosing rule of thirds actually causes you or rather me to look at only one part of the pic. But it 7500 x 3500 approx (guess) so lot of opportunity to crop.

  8. #8
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    On the first one, the overhanging branch is distracting and the alignment of the near fence post (2nd from right) and the bridge support pillar bother me. I really like the second. So many nice lines. Looks like a really nice dark and dreary day but I think I'd like to see the shadows opened up a touch to see more of that nicely textured bark. I think I'd be tempted to crop off what's left of the tree at the extreme left edge.
    I thought about chopping the tree or moving closer to the tree in front and taking an even wider shot. I didn't plan the bridge panorama but my mind is still stuck in the past with 35mm film and I'm surprised every time I put the eye to viewfinder with my widest lens a 28mm. I don't like fisheye though and wider lenses are very expensive.

    Cheers.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    606
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I thought about chopping the tree or moving closer to the tree in front and taking an even wider shot. I didn't plan the bridge panorama but my mind is still stuck in the past with 35mm film and I'm surprised every time I put the eye to viewfinder with my widest lens a 28mm. I don't like fisheye though and wider lenses are very expensive.

    Cheers.
    Arith,

    If you are interested I have a Sigma 14mm F2.8 that I'm about to put on ebay as I don't use since I got my Canon 17-40 F4L. This was shot with the lns, send me a PM if you want any further info.

    Critique please

  10. #10
    Terry Tedor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    247

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I thought about chopping the tree or moving closer to the tree in front and taking an even wider shot. I didn't plan the bridge panorama but my mind is still stuck in the past with 35mm film and I'm surprised every time I put the eye to viewfinder with my widest lens a 28mm. I don't like fisheye though and wider lenses are very expensive.

    Cheers.
    Understand. Have you looked at the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8? IMHO, reasonably priced and very nice.

    Peter, I'm curious, in your sig, what is a Canon 10D IR?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    606
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    Understand. Have you looked at the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8? IMHO, reasonably priced and very nice.

    Peter, I'm curious, in your sig, what is a Canon 10D IR?
    Its a Canon EOS 10D that has been converted to take near Infra Red i.e. the normal filter has been removed and a special IR sensitive one put in its place. If I get the time over the weekend I'll post some shots on this site.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,015
    Real Name
    Rick

    Re: Critique please

    On the first, I agree with Terry about the fence post and bridge support. And just in general, the foreground has so much that grabs attention, it's hard to notice the bridge. How about opening the aperture, to take the foreground out of focus?

    I like the second one a lot. I could agree with a different crop, but I like the dark mood. It gives a strong impression of a park banked down for the winter, with the pollarded trees and dead leaves, waiting for next spring. The story of winter as the night, with spring as the dawn.

    Cheers,
    Rick

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    1,541
    Real Name
    Sahil Jain

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Cheers; I use Helicon Filter and it is unstable but since I got those lovely Optik Verve filters I've been trying to use CS2 and I like those filters a lot. I put GG2 filter on the camera and this takes it back off again faded

    Critique please

    It will be nice to know what other peoples crop would be since I like to make pics as confusing as possible; choosing rule of thirds actually causes you or rather me to look at only one part of the pic. But it 7500 x 3500 approx (guess) so lot of opportunity to crop.
    Well I am no expert, but as a lay man, love this one. Mysterious and spooky (May be romantic)

  14. #14
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Critique please

    Cheers everybody; I prefer the second. Sahil there is a spooky filter and this is another wierd filter here turning day into night

    Critique please

    Cheers for the offer of a lens Peter but I'm skint since spending on a backpack and new washer drier and a hundred other bills.

  15. #15
    Terry Tedor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    247

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Its a Canon EOS 10D that has been converted to take near Infra Red i.e. the normal filter has been removed and a special IR sensitive one put in its place. If I get the time over the weekend I'll post some shots on this site.
    I wondered if that's what it was. Yes, definitely, please post some, I'd love to seem them. I was going to ask, glad you offered!

  16. #16
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Arith,

    I am puzzled why 3 images (presumably HDR) and a GND, was the sky that bright?

    All that effort and you missed the decent suspension bridge in the background and shot the concrete monstrosity

    The mind boggles
    Spokey Ferry Bridge behind
    Critique please

  17. #17
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,288
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Critique please

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Spokey Ferry Bridge behind
    Arith,

    May I be cheeky/rude? (no offence intended)

    It looks like it was shot at "18:89" too - i.e. it's very dark

    Is that intentional?
    Or just a feature of the image you haven't had time or inclination to fix in PP?

    Hang on, I remember this bridge, didn't you (or somone else?) post a night shot of it, those lights look familiar.

    Cheers,

  18. #18
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Critique please

    Yes it is a spooky filter; was much darker but I raised the shadows. Just a bit of fun with Optik Verve filters some of which are good. However, I downloaded a trial version of Topaz Vivacity and cannot use it are totally confused. So I suppose I'd better stick to the easy stuff, high pass filters ect.

    http://images53.fotki.com/v1578/phot...dge2_hf-vi.jpg
    Last edited by arith; 27th February 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •