Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: video editing problems

Real Name
    Richard

video editing problems

I am having problems with my computer setup when video editing. I shoot fulll HD video with a Panasonic HDC-TM900 and I have problems opening several clips at once and problems editing these clips.

My hardware is:
    Gateway FX6831 with Intel i& CPU 860 @ 2.80HHz
    I have 8GB of RAM
    64 bit operating system
    my video adapter is an ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series with a total available graphics memory of 4843 MB
    I have dedicated memory or 1024 MB
    System Video memory o MB
    Shared system memory 3819 MB

I would be very willing to increase my total RAM (if possible) and to change video cards if necessary...

However, I would rather not buy another total computer package

My monitor is a 27 inch Samsung Syncmaster P2770HD and I am using it at 1920 x 1080 resolution

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: video editing problems

Richard - are you still editing your video in Photoshop?

I use Premiere Pro CC and some time ago switched to an nVidia card so that Premiere Pro can take advantage of the CUDA engine that uses the video card, rather than the CPU for rendering. The Adobe website lists "approved" cards:

https://www.adobe.com/ca/products/pr...ech-specs.html

This is far faster than using the CPU.

I've also upgraded to 16MB of RAM, but that was more to allow me more flexibility when having multiple pieces of software open at the same time.

Real Name
    Richard

Actually, I never had much success with Photoshop in editing video. The simplest editing program is Windows Live Movie Maker but that program seems somewhat cranky when working with HD video.

I am pretty sure that the problem results from my hardware because when I am viewing videos on YouTube, the computer often stalls...

Downloading video using Adobe bridge is a nightmare. I have been downloading using Adobe Premier Elements. However I hate all facets of both Photoshop Elements and Premier Elementd and how these two programs catalog an store videos and images.

My wife had purchased Corel Video Studio 6 for her computer but, has never worked with it to any extent. I played with her computer which has an I-7 processor like mine but, has 16 gigs of Ram and uses an MD Radeon HD 745 Graphics card and it seems to work far better.

It would be easy to just use my wife's computer... However my wife works over 8-hours a day on her computer doing rescue involved work (we work harder at rescue that we did before we were retired.) and I cannot have the time on it that I need....

My computer tech is pretty savvy but, seems oblivious when it comes to photo or video editing. I am going to find a tech to upgrade my computer with more memory (at first) and possibly a new video card.

Real Name
    Richard

I don't want to purchase a new computer because of all the hassle centered around reloading the many different programs, some of which I downloaded from the web.

I purchased a PNY GEFORCE GTX 750Ti graphics card with 2 GB of RAM and will be increasing my computer's RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB.

If that doesn't do the job, then I will shoot my video of my rescue dogs in less than HD...

Real Name
    John

Richard,

I would start out finding out what is causing the youtube video slow down, then work your way down to video playback. Usually First, what operating system are you using and are you getting any error popups? I don't have a lot of experience in the video arena but I have observed some changes in my system that are usually browser related or software related. I'll start out by telling you of a few issues I've been having and the work around. Whenever I play a youtube video on my Windows 7, Internet Explorer8 system, I'll get an error message or the video will try to start playing and never begins. A blocked content button will appear at the top of my screen and this will allow me to turn off Active X filtering and the video will then play. Also, there is a flashplayer upgrade needed for my system whenever I am using IE, if I switch to Bing the software is already loaded and video will play automatically. So, I'd start with browser or software to pinpoint the youtube playback issues.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I don't think extra RAM will ever hurt, but am not sure that the new video card is going to do anything for you, as Premiere Pro is the only software that I am aware of that makes use of that technology.

I used an early version of Video Studio (it was originally owned by Pinnacle, then Avid and now Corel) and it is the reason I went over to Adobe.

YouTube has no connection with the video edit and indicates an issue with your browser / browser settings. I've never had a problem viewing the videos I shot and edited and then uploaded to YouTube, so can't be of any help there.

Real Name
    Richard

I will install the Graphics cars and the memory as soon as the 8 gigs arrives. I ordered the extra 8-gigs from the internet... http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Gatew...-upgrades.html

This is the graphics card... http://www3.pny.com/GeForcePDFs/PNY-...-750Ti-2GB.pdf

I will wait until the extra 8 Gigs arrives before I start the installation so I don't have to open the computer twice...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th April 2014 at 04:06 PM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

FWIW Richard...you might consider revamping your security software.
    I was running Norton for years when my IT son steered me into http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-se...uter-security/
    Has made a world of difference regarding overall speed of everything.