Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How to change a setting in P/Shop CS6

Real Name
    Debbie

How to change a setting in P/Shop CS6

Hi All,

Long time since I have posted anything. I have PS /CS6 and I don't know what I have done but my images
    used to come up more to the left side with my palettes to the right side. For some reason the image is now in the centre and half of the image is covered by the palettes. If I move the image to a new window it will come up top left corner but this is not how it used to be. Also, now when I close P/S the palettes stay up and I have to close them individually when they used to just close when I shut PS down. Another thing for some reason when I bring up the ruler it starts at about -3 and takes 3 inches before it hits 0 inches. This never used to happen either. I know I must have changed something somewhere but have no idea where or how to fix it.
    It is like the image and palettes are completely separate from P/Shop

PLEASE HELP as this is driving me crazy and I don't know what I did or how to fix it.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: How to change a setting in P/Shop CS6

Hi Debbie,

Try Window -> Workspace -> Reset

Real Name
    John

Debbie, not sure what is going on there. But let's take it in turn.

Your ruler should follow your image size automatically i.e. the zero should always line up with the edge of your image (or canvas if you have a border). If the image on the screen is smaller than the space available, the ruler will show minus quantities to the left. That's normal and if you think about it, any measurement you may want to make almost certainly, needs to be relative to the edge of the image.

I can't reproduce your other problem but as a starter for ten, you can try to reset the workspace to its default. To do this, left click on "Edit", "Preferences" and then select "Interface". In the middle box there is an option to "Restore Default Workspaces". That should take you back to square one. You will probably find that all of your palettes disappear but just go into "Window" and select those that you want in your workspace, push them together to lock them together. You can swop the order and size them first. I always like to have a large history palette for instance. Then left click on the top bar of the palette set and drag it to where ever suites you. Hope this solves your problem.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Debbie, not sure what is going on there. But let's take it in turn.

Your ruler should follow your image size automatically i.e. the zero should always line up with the edge of your image (or canvas if you have a border). If the image on the screen is smaller than the space available, the ruler will show minus quantities to the left. That's normal and if you think about it, any measurement you may want to make almost certainly, needs to be relative to the edge of the image.

I can't reproduce your other problem but as a starter for ten, you can try to reset the workspace to its default. To do this, left click on "Edit", "Preferences" and then select "Interface". In the middle box there is an option to "Restore Default Workspaces". That should take you back to square one. You will probably find that all of your palettes disappear but just go into "Window" and select those that you want in your workspace, push them together to lock them together. You can swop the order and size them first. I always like to have a large history palette for instance. Then left click on the top bar of the palette set and drag it to where ever suites you. Hope this solves your problem.
    Hi, to both replies. I have reset the workspace and all is ok. Thanks for you help it put in the right direction. I thought I had tried that but obviously I hadn't so thanks again.