Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Breakdown on Canon 1D bodies

Breakdown on Canon 1D bodies

I know this is the lazy mans way of doing this but I'm going to justify it as "saving time".

Can someone give me a breakdown of the 1D bodies or direct me to a site. I'm just kind of kicking around the idea of a new/used body. I know there is the 1D,1DMK11, etc. I'm not sure what the letter at the end means though. i.e. 1D(s)MK11, or 1D(n)MK111.
    Also some MK11's are 16mp, others are 21mp. Anyone have a "short and sweet" on this?

There is certainly other equipment I sorely need but I'd still like to stay informed.
    Thanks in advance.

Colin

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Breakdown on 1D bodies

Hi Colin,

Basically 2 series ...

- The 1D series, with greatest strength being sports, and

- The 1Ds series, with greatest strengths being studio work.

Having said that, either series can be used for anything (BIG overlap).

Of the later varients, 1Ds2 & 1Ds3 etc are full frame, and 1D2, 1D2n, and 1D3 are all 1.3x crop factor.

Basically 1Ds series are slower but with more MP, 1D series are faster, but with less MP. I wouldn't buy anything older than the "2" generation.

Hope this helps

Wow! I wasn't even close to guessing.
    Thanks Colin, that helps a lot.

I'm just kind of researching at this point so I'll know a good deal when I see it and be
    ready to pounce.
    Like I said there is other equipment I need first but those priorities could change in a hurry.

Real Name
    Steve

Try this........http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/36

Should find everything you need to know.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

With the release of the 1D4, you should be starting to see 1D3 cameras 2nd hand at a good price.

Re: Breakdown on Canon 1D bodies

If you're looking at second-hand, I can recommend the 1Ds MkII (16.7 megapixels, FF) - I bought one recently for quite a lot less than a new 5DMkII and I'm very pleased with it. Think twice about any second-hand 1D-anything that costs MORE than a new 5DII - you'd need some very specific reasons to spend more. In fact, for general photography, you'd need some very specific reasons to spend more than the price of a new 7D. ;-)