Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just Messing with a new toy

Real Name
    Steve

Just Messing with a new toy

I've seen some excellent work using a filter called OptikVerve and thought I might try it out. They were taken in August 2009 when I had exactly no experience with dslr and rusty knowledge of photography. I know they are faulty but still fun to play with.

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Just Messing with a new toy

I like the smokey look in the second one.

Real Name
    Steve

That is called 'dreamy'. This plugin is so easy to use, all you have to do is click on a filter and a small screen displays what it will do. cheers

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    That is called 'dreamy'. This plugin is so easy to use, all you have to do is click on a filter and a small screen displays what it will do. cheers
    I just checked the website. As usual it is not up to speed on Windows 64 bit. Not even surprised anymore when I see that.

Real Name
    Steve

I haven't got windows 64 Wendy, the operating system would require 4GB of ram to run as fast and my memory cost a lot. I designed this pc to be fast enough and it isn't blistering fast but up to 7.2Ghz and only 60 watt processor most of the time, but it can automatically boost up to 150 watt.

Maybe in a few years I'll bump its power up with what will then be older 45nm technology 8GB of ram and Windows 7. Should cost several hundred pounds though. cheers

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    I just checked the website. As usual it is not up to speed on Windows 64 bit. Not even surprised anymore when I see that.
    Just be aware of the difference between 64 bit "windows" and 64 bit "Photoshop". On a 64 Bit WINDOWS system both 32 bit and 64 bit editions of Photoshop are automatically installed.

Having just said that, for that kind of shot you'd get close just by duplicating the layer - applying a strong gaussian blur to the top layer - and then varying the opacity to suit.

Real Name
    Wendy

Just be aware of the difference between 64 bit "windows" and 64 bit "Photoshop". On a 64 Bit WINDOWS system both 32 bit and 64 bit editions of Photoshop are automatically installed.
    Thanks Colin: The Optic Verve website said it could be installed on Windows Vista 32 bit versions. It says it works with Elements 8. To tell you the truth I don't know if Elements is 32 or 64 bit. It just seems that every time I go to do something, or want to try something out, whatever it is that I am looking at is not up to speed with windows 7. I don't know if they have not updated their product or not updated the website.

I can no longer keep up with or understand computer technology, so I don't install or use anything unless it has been listed as compatible, and it just seems that Windows 7 especially 64 bit is way ahead of what other developers are doing. Maybe they don't understand it either.

In any case, when it comes right down to it, I haven't mastered what I have now so I don't really need any more photography software. I am getting impatient though, trying to find audio software and hardware so I can get some decent sound from this thing again
    Sorry, getting off topic. I'm sure there are performance enhancements that I would miss if I did not have this system, but it does get annoying that many things hardware and software are not (or at least not listed to be) compatible.

All in good time. What I have now works pretty good most of the time. Maybe I shoud put together an XP system again, then I might appreciate this more.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    for that kind of shot you'd get close just by duplicating the layer - applying a strong gaussian blur to the top layer - and then varying the opacity to suit.
    Hi colin,

This is just an GLOW EFFECT nothing more ( Not blur effect )
    duplicate the layer - press D
    FILTER > DIFFUSE GLOW >
    Graininess = 0
    Glow amount = 1
    Clear amount = 8 or 9 ( Less the number more the DREAMY EFFECT )
    Play with opacity of the layer for desired effect
    Last edited by Ashwin; 27th February 2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: to correct " press - D "

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Ironic, isn't it? We spend hundreds or thousands of dollars buying umpteen million megapixel camaras and the sharpest lenses we can afford, only to apply a "free" filter to give it a "blurry" effect. Not that I don't like it mind you, I think it looks nice and "dreamy" indeed, I just find it ironic, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    It will run on 64-bit Windows, just not 64-bit CS4. I do believe Elements is 32-bit and it seems to be compatible with most programs that use the Adobe standard "8bf" file extension for plug-ins, so my guess would be it should work with Elements 8.

From the manfacturer's web site:

"virtualPhotographer works on all 32-bit versions of Photoshop (up to CS3) on both 32-and 64-bit operating systems. Vista 64 for example will work using CS3. Photoshop CS4 comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions and the default installer will install both on a 64-bit system. virtualPhotographer is not compatible with CS4 64-bit on a 64-bit system. However we do have users successfully using virtualPhotographer with CS4 in 32-bit mode on 64-bit systems."