Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: On the seashore

On the seashore

All shot on Southerndown beach, South Wales.

C+C welcome

No stone is an island
    On the seashore

Soft stones
    On the seashore

Stone washed
    On the seashore

Real Name
    Peter

Re: On the seashore

Hi Rob,

These are very good especially #2, the mono treatment works a treat . Not quite so keen on #3, rather too contrasty for my taste but still good composition.

Peter

Real Name
    Steve

You would break your feet on that lot. #2 is fantastic and the other two are only great. cheers

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Rob

Just catching up with posts during a rare lull in the working day. Wanted to get in a quick '#2 is a stupendous image'. Will see it in a better environment when I get home later this evening. But ..'wow'! What lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Rob

Just catching up with posts during a rare lull in the working day. Wanted to get in a quick '#2 is a stupendous image'. Will see it in a better environment when I get home later this evening. But ..'wow'! What lighting.
    Thanks, Donald (and everyone else) I'm surprised everyone likes #2. I shot it at midday shooting into the sun - although the weather was a bit hazy with some misty cloud. I used one of my Optikverve Virtual Photographer filters in CS4 to get the soft look (I think it was 'flashback' I used). They are free! http://www.optikvervelabs.com/ Have also attached a screengrab of the RAW file so you can see the difference. I cropped it a lot, but as I used the 50D (15mp) it took it quite well.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Steve

That filter works with my CS2, very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    That filter works with my CS2...
    Yes, it is compatible with Photoshop CS4 and all older versions, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, and Photo-Paint. very good filters, especially for more arty effects.

#2 is perfect, #3 is very nice. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Yes, it is compatible with Photoshop CS4 and all older versions, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, and Photo-Paint. very good filters, especially for more arty effects.
    Looks interesting, but only runs on 32-bit CS4 installs.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I cropped it a lot, but as I used the 50D (15mp) it took it quite well.Cheers
    Had to work late last night. So only catching up.

Was about to post reply to talk about the crop when noticed the thumbnail and your comment. The reply was going to say, 'It's the tight cropping that makes it'. And I think so even more now having seen the thumbnail. Your composition and, then, choice of what to include and what not to include, makes this a stunner. Anything else in the final frame would have been extraneous.

I'm surprised that you're surprised that we all love it !! Perhaps it's the, relatively, high sun that adds to it - putting the light onto the top of the stones.

Yes, I agree with everyone, No.2 does it for me, cropped to perfection I would say.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ... Perhaps it's the, relatively, high sun that adds to it - putting the light onto the top of the stones.
    Yeah, I've noticed this before. Shooting at midday into the sun (that's contre jour for the posh buggers!) can create some weird effects. As you say, it might be just the high sun that does it. Thanks for the comment, and glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    #2 is perfect, #3 is very nice. Well done!

...but only runs on 32-bit CS4 installs.
    Yeah, you are right. I hadn't noticed that before. I wanted more memory on my PC, but was put off when I found I would have to get a 64-bit machine.

Rob

just a quick log in to say what a superb image No 2 is. I do not usually go for these soft water/rock shots because they seem to confront you on every page of every photo mag going but the close cropping has made this image that little bit special

Steve

Yeah, you are right. I hadn't noticed that before. I wanted more memory on my PC, but was put off when I found I would have to get a 64-bit machine.
    What's nice though is you can still use CS4 32-bit on the 64-bit OS, or dual boot between Win 7 (or XP for that matter) 32-bit and 64-bit.