Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera Raw Workflow Options

Camera Raw Workflow Options

Some time ago, I wanted to play around with alternative RGB profiles. I found quite a few on the web, but narrowed it down to DonRGB, Max RGB, and Best RGB for the time being. These go deeper in the green than Pro Photo and have no imaginary primaries. They can be downloaded from the hutchcolor site.
    I added Best RGB, Don RGB, and Max RGB to Library/Apllication Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles and now they appear in the list of profiles I can convert to in PSCS5.1. I used Open Image and converted the raw that was in Pro Photo 16 bit but had not been edited at all, to Best RGB 16 bit and saw no visible difference but there were no deep greens in the image.
    I had opened the raw in ACR 6.7 as Pro Photo 16 bit and then clicked on the profile name in the bottom menu bar to show the Workflow Options where you can set the opening profile. The pull down for profiles still shows only Adobe 98, Pro Photo, Color Match, and sRGB. Where is the App Support folder for this list? I had already looked in the most likely places in /Adobe. I haven't added the new RGBs to ColorSync as yet. One thing at a time.
    Mac OS 10.9.2.

Real Name
    John

Re: Camera Raw Workflow Options

Are you sure that you are converting the display profile? I use a package that uses a prophoto workspace but the output is still sRGB. It could also be aRGB if my monitor was capable of displaying that which it isn't.

I understand no display will cover prophoto anyway so people work blind with it.

John
    -

Real Name
    Allan Short

We work in the prophoto space when intending to print as some of the higher end printers are able produce colours in and beyond Adobe RGB colour space. Unless you are willing to pay for a monitor that will display 100% adobe RGB and these other RGB workspaces fall within the adobe colourspace you will never see them on a standard sRGB screen. It is when soft proofing that these others spaces may help, compared to sRGB some colours that would have been out of gamut my not be in the other space.

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    Are you sure that you are converting the display profile? I use a package that uses a prophoto workspace but the output is still sRGB. It could also be aRGB if my monitor was capable of displaying that which it isn't.

I understand no display will cover prophoto anyway so people work blind with it.

John
    -
    This has nothing to do with converting the "display profile". I am in Camera Raw and I used Open Image to open the raw ,which is in ProPhoto, to my monitor. Then I used Convert To Profile to change the images profile to Best RGB using Perceptual. My monitor covers the full sRGB gamut, so I was only slightly surprised to see no visible difference since there were no deep greens in the image.
    I also print from ProPhoto to my Epson to capture the added colors. This is the only way to avoid the limitations of monitors in the workflow. But I want to have Camera Raw open a raw file in Best RGB, not ProPhoto. There doesn't seem to be a way to get alternate RGBs into the Workflow Options of Camera Raw. I looked again and there is no Application Support/Adobe folder that contains the four RGBs icc profiles that are selectable in Workflow Options in Camera Raw.
    Last edited by Richard Lundberg; 29th March 2014 at 02:47 AM.

Ok, back to sleep everybody. I found out from Jeff Schewe, one of the Photoshop gurus, that in Camera Raw 6.x, the RGB selections are hard coded. In 8.x, you can install any RGB profile ( Photoshop CC ONLY). I guess if I have to, I'll do CC. Also converting from ProPhoto to any smaller space is always relative rendering due to the difference in representation of the spaces.
    If anyone knows of a raw processor that allows installing arbitrary profiles for conversion, I would appreciate hearing about it.
    Last edited by Richard Lundberg; 30th March 2014 at 06:30 AM.