Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cokin Grad ND filter set

Cokin Grad ND filter set

Hi - I'm interested in landscape photography and want to invest in some ND filters (to date all I have are UV filters on my lenses, plus a circ polarising filter for my wide angle).
    I have the following lenses (all on a Canon 40D, so a non full frame, APS-C sensor):
    1) Tokina 12-20 f/4 (77mm) wide angle
    2) Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (67mm)
    3) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (58mm)

Cokin seem to do 2 sets of Grad ND's -
    1) Cokin H250A ND Grad Kit (p-series)
    2) Cokin U960 Z-Pro ND-Gradual Kit (z-series)

I have a couple of questions:
    1) Will the p-series suffice (the set is £50 vs £150 for the z) or will it cause issues on the wide angle lense?
    2) Am I right in thinking that in addition to the kit itself, the only other thing I will need will be a cokin adaptor ring (one for each lense that I want to use the filters on)?

Any other advice/tips for good landscapes gratefully received!

Thanks

Paul

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Cokin Grad ND filter set

Paul

The first thing is, you'll see a lot written on here and other places about Cokin coming well behind others (Lee, Singh-Ray, etc,) in the quality stakes. But, a lot of people do use them and seem to feel okay about it. I've got a set of P ND Grads and a 3-stop ND and have felt okay about them. At the end of teh day, it comes down to budget.

I've just bought the Tokina 11-16 and have read some posts (elsewhere) that people feel okay with the Z series on it, although admitting that they still get vignette at 11mm. I pretty certain you'd struggle with the 'P' on the 12-20.

As well as the Adaptor Ring, you'll need the Filter Holder.

Any other advice/tips for good landscapes gratefully received
    Look at what others do (not to copy, but to get ideas).

Real Name
    Steve

1) Will the p-series suffice (the set is £50 vs £150 for the z) or will it cause issues on the wide angle lense?
    2) Am I right in thinking that in addition to the kit itself, the only other thing I will need will be a cokin adaptor ring (one for each lense that I want to use the filters on)?
    Don't know about 1) but in 2) you only have to buy one adaptor and one holder if you buy stepping up rings. Minimal saving though but if you step from 58-77 and 67-77 you could use your polariser on all your lenses.

In 1) the 28mm will be ok on a 40D with Cokin P. cheers

Hi - thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Paul

I have the 'P' series Cokin GND set and use them on my Sigma 10-20mm lens which has a 77mm filter thread.
    You will have to buy the special wide angle filter holder which will not vignette on the ultra wide angle lens, well it does not do so on my Sigma at 10mm, it will only hold one filter at a time as oppose to 2-3 filters on the standard filter holder that comes with the set.

Keith

Hi Paul

I have the Z series holder and three filters. You buy them in a kit complete with case for £150. They work fine on my Tokina 11-16, but as Donald said they do show the edge a little at 11mm. The P series just doesnt work - even with the wide angle holder on that lens. The Z adaptor is very sturdy and looks the biz. It will hold more than one filter at a time, unlike the wide angle P holder. Word of warning - you need to be very careful with the filters as they are a larger size, and it's easy to knock the edges. Fortunately most of my lenses are now 77mm thread, so I need just one ring, and that makes it easy to switch the holder when I switch lenses. They are expensive, but I think they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Hi Paul

I have the Z series holder and three filters. You buy them in a kit complete with case for £150. They work fine on my Tokina 11-16, but as Donald said they do show the edge a little at 11mm. The P series just doesnt work - even with the wide angle holder on that lens. The Z adaptor is very sturdy and looks the biz. It will hold more than one filter at a time, unlike the wide angle P holder. Word of warning - you need to be very careful with the filters as they are a larger size, and it's easy to knock the edges. Fortunately most of my lenses are now 77mm thread, so I need just one ring, and that makes it easy to switch the holder when I switch lenses. They are expensive, but I think they are worth it.
    I appologise if it appears that I have underminded Donalds thoughts, I should have added to my reply that I cannot give an opinion re the Tokina lens as I have never owned one.
    My reply was of my experience with the 'P' series of Cokin filters and the Sigma 10-20 lens.

Keith

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I apologise if it appears that I have underminded Donalds thoughts
    No you didn't ... not in my mind anyway. This is very much a learning curve for me. I certainly use the 'P' series filters a lot on my 17-85 kit and the 70-200 f4 L IS.

The question I'm debating just now is whether I will ever use filters on the 11-16. The obvious answer to myself is, 'Of course you will'. But, in using it so far, I've found myself going really close up to subjects (walls, trees, etc) and not having an 'area' of sky for which I'd normally be using a filter. So do I need to invest in all the UWA gear (rings, adaptors etc)?

Be very interested to hear from both you and Rob (and others if they wish) about the sort of situations where you use GNDs on UWA lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Be very interested to hear from both you and Rob (and others if they wish) about the sort of situations where you use GNDs on UWA lenses.
    I have so far had little opportunity to make the most of them on my UWA lens too, but last
    September I visited a Steam Rally and Vintage Vehicle show where there were lots of cars, lorries and Army vehicles on show and I used the GND's there with some satisfying effects.
    I had to get close and low to the subjects to get the slightly distorted effect I was after, but also to try and take photos without people appearing in the shots too.
    I had the sun kindly lighting up the subject but also had plenty of cloud in the sky, so I made use of the GND filters to darken the clouds behind the subject.

Keith