Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Capture NX D Beta available!!

Re: Capture NX D Beta available!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    John,

Keep in mind that the parameters used in the Sharpening tool are very different from the parameters used by Adobe. If you let me know the Nikon cameras you use, I may be able to give you some reasonable starting parameters to use for each camera.
    Thanks, Mike; I would appreciate hearing that. I use a Nikon D700, and never really explored what NX2 can (could) do: I just used it as a RAW converter and then carried on into Photoshop with TIFFs saved out from NX2. I am going to have a better look at it now, thought!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I don't have a D700 and the settings Jason Odell recommends for various cameras is an old list that was compiled before the D700 was released. So, I am thinking that the settings for the D700 should be about the same as the settings for the D300 because their sensors are nearly the same. His recommended settings for the D300 are:

Intensity: 50
    Radius: 5
    Threshold: 4

Based on my experience with three Nikon DSLRs, if those settings are not quite sharp enough, bump up the intensity to probably no more than 55 and the radius to probably no more than 7. Try bumping up the intensity without bumping up the radius.

IMPORTANT: Those configurations assume you either used no in-camera sharpening or are using CNX-D's Development section to eliminate all in-camera sharpening.

I don't have a D700 and the settings Jason Odell recommends for various cameras is an old list that was compiled before the D700 was released. So, I am thinking that the settings for the D700 should be about the same as the settings for the D300 because their sensors are nearly the same. His recommended settings for the D300 are:
    The D700 shares the same sensor with the D3; the D300, although having the same pixel count, is a cropped sensor (as compared to the full frame sensor of the D700).

I tend not to use in-camera sharpening, preferring to do my sharpening after I have edited any image and before purposing it for the Internet, or print. That way, I can keep my final edits and use them as needed without worrying about redundant levels of sharpening.

Ahhhhhh. Jason Odell recommends the following settings for use with the D3:

Intensity: 40
    Radius: 5
    Threshold: 2

Considering that the Intensity and Threshold settings are lower, I doubt that you'll see much difference using these new settings.

I always use lots of in-camera sharpening for closely reviewing the magnified images in the camera's LCD. I then eliminate that in-camera sharpening as part of the first step in my post-processing.

Real Name
    David

Mike, John and any other NX2 NX D users, I am just getting started with both RAW and post-processing. I have been having a bash with Capture NX-D, since its free.
    I have been trying to follow the recommended photo editing workflow from the tutorials section.

Firstly, am I correct that Capture NX-D can take you up to and partially include step 8. (Refinements) of that workflow?
    From there, I would need to move across to some other software for selective enhancements (involving brushes and layers etc.)

Secondly, I am curious about the place of the "Picture Control" edits in this workflow process. From what I understand it recreates and applies the in camera jpeg processing to the raw file. Is this where you (Mike) mention you remove the in camera sharpening? It seems a little confusing to be able to apply sharpening (whatever the sliding scale of 0-9 means) here, but then again it's available in the noise reduction tool (in the same form), but then there is also the "Unsharp Mask" tool which seems to operate more like described in the tutorial (but with a % for radius instead of number of pixels??? ).

I would prefer to follow the recommended workflow and learn the effects of each step, before I let the software start applying defaults I don't understand. If anyone can help out, that would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by D L View Post
    Firstly, am I correct that Capture NX-D can take you up to and partially include step 8. (Refinements) of that workflow?
    Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the specific workflow you are referring to.

I would need to move across to some other software for selective enhancements (involving brushes and layers etc.)
    I don't need to know the workflow you are referencing to know that is correct.

Secondly, I am curious about the place of the "Picture Control" edits in this workflow process. From what I understand it recreates and applies the in camera jpeg processing to the raw file. Is this where you (Mike) mention you remove the in camera sharpening?
    Yes, you understand that correctly. Keep in mind that you can use the Picture Control processing to change whatever Picture Control setting was used in-camera including the entire Picture Control. As an example, I almost always use the Standard setting in my camera and the few times I want to use the Portrait or Landscape Picture Control, I would usually change to the desired setting during the post-processing.

It seems a little confusing to be able to apply sharpening (whatever the sliding scale of 0-9 means) here, but then again it's available in the noise reduction tool (in the same form), but then there is also the "Unsharp Mask" tool which seems to operate more like described in the tutorial (but with a % for radius instead of number of pixels??? ).
    Sorry that I never installed CNX-D, but I'll give it a stab.

You might be confused about sharpening being available as part of the noise reduction tool. Assuming noise reduction is applied in CNX-D as in CNX 2, the sharpening slider in that tool doesn't have anything to do with sharpening as we typically think of it. Instead, the sharpening slider that is part of the noise reduction tool is a method of refining the noise reduction; in that tool the noise reduction is a combination of two settings that can be configured to meet whatever your goals might be. For a really great explanation of the noise reduction tool accompanied by pictorial examples of the various combinations of settings, purchase Jason Odell's The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2. Jason often runs sales.

The sharpening that is available in the software Picture Control is the same sharpening that is available in the camera. So, consider that slider a rather unrefined approach to sharpening in that there is only one slider rather than the standard three sliders most software provides to fine-tune the sharpening. This is one reason that I remove all in-camera sharpening, knowing that I can refine it using the Unsharp Mask tool.

Regarding the parameters in the Unsharp Mask tool, be aware that the values used by Nikon are very different than the values used by Adobe. So, the specific sharpening values mentioned in most tutorials will not apply to CNX-D unless the tutorial explicitly applies to CNX2 or CNX-D. As an example, my starting configuration is 55, 8, 4. (That changes somewhat depending on the camera model being used.)

By the way, I wonder if CNX-D also has the High Pass sharpening tool. Some people like using that method of sharpening instead of using the Unsharp Mask tool, though I've never felt compelled to use it.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 21st October 2014 at 01:05 PM.

Real Name
    David

Mike, thanks for you answer.
    Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the specific workflow you are referring to.
    This one
    https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...g-workflow.htm

By the way, I wonder if CNX-D also has the High Pass sharpening tool. Some people like using that method of sharpening instead of using the Unsharp Mask tool, though I've never felt compelled to use it.
    In my search to find out more about sharpening in nx-d, I came across someone complaining that this high pass tool was not a feature carried across from nx2. I'll have to check what I'm missing out on with u-points too. If I look into that guide you mention I'm sure I'll soon find out.

Thanks for your thorough answers. I had another go at sharpening, first setting the picture control sharpening to zero, then using an unsharp mask. Seemed to work well.

That initial explanation of noise reduction really helps too.

Real Name
    Allan Short

David: that program is a dead end, Nikkon is no longer supporting it. I think that you will have to find another program to process your images in.

Cheers: Allan

Now that I've reviewed that workflow, your assessment is correct. In fact, if I understand NX-D's capabilities correctly, another way of putting it is that CNX-D can do everything in the workflow except Step 8, "Refinements." My point is that if you do come upon an image that requires no selective adjustments, it might meet all of your needs.

As for understanding U-Point technology, check out this 7-minute video tutorial of a Google/Nik plug-in. (All Google/Nik products employ U-Point technology.) The only capability that tutorial doesn't cover is that at least one plug-in employs a control point that has several adjustments displayed on the control point itself.

One last point: Years ago Nikon software was widely recognized as the best converter of Nikon RAW files. That was understandable because only Nikon exactly knows the content of its RAW files. However, beginning with Lightroom 3, Adobe's RAW converter was widely recognized as almost equally effective if not as effective and Adobe's reputation for converting Nikon RAW files has gotten much better since then. It's nearly unquestionable that far more Nikon users now use Adobe's engine to convert their RAW files than use Nikon software to convert them. My point here is that there are many software programs (some are even free) that will perhaps meet your needs about converting your RAW files and will also provide other capabilities such as selective editing whether or not that is done using U-Point technology to construct the masks.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 21st October 2014 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    David: that program is a dead end, Nikkon is no longer supporting it.
    That's not correct, Allan. Nikon is fully supporting Capture NX-D. Not so with Capture NX 2 and only somewhat so with View NX 2. Perhaps the many alphabet soups is a source of confusion for you, as it is for many.

Real Name
    David

In fact, if I understand NX-D's capabilities correctly, another way of putting it is that CNX-D can do everything in the workflow except Step 8, "Refinements." My point is that if you do come upon an image that requires no selective adjustments, it might meet all of your needs.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

My starting point for getting into Post Processing is using the CiC recommended workflow. It's great to establish early on what a particular piece of software can and can't cover in this workflow.

My point here is that there are many software programs (some are even free) that will perhaps meet your needs about converting your RAW files and will also provide other capabilities such as selective editing whether or not that is done using U-Point technology to construct the masks.
    I did read in my "googling" that Nikon is/was the best Nikon file RAW convertor. As you are a (former?) user of their convertor, I trust your statement and am glad to know I don't need to limit myself. The cost of Lightroom doesn't look prohibitive. I am guessing it is easier to work in one software for the entire workflow if possible.
    I'll investigate other software (including the free Lightroom trial), and perhaps use the Capture NX-D output as a reference point for comparison.

I'd love to be able to simply ask "What's the best PP software", but I have seen from other posts that this is both very subjective and possibly an emotional topic for some

Quote Originally Posted by D L View Post
    My starting point for getting into Post Processing is using the CiC recommended workflow.
    I can't imagine a better way to start.

I did read in my "googling" that Nikon is/was the best Nikon file RAW convertor.
    In theory, it would be understandable that it could be. However, I've seen so many wonderful images converted mostly using non-Nikon software that, in practicality, it's clear that there are other software programs that convert at least as well.

As you are a (former?) user of their convertor
    Long-time current user

The cost of Lightroom doesn't look prohibitive. I am guessing it is easier to work in one software for the entire workflow if possible.
    Correct. However, depending on your needs, keep in mind that you might need a pixel editor such as Photoshop Elements or Photoshop Creative Cloud to handle such things as automated stitching when making panoramics from several image files or making a composite of one image from several images. You won't be able to do that using Lightroom. As an example, a couple days ago I made this photo from parts of 8 image files using an old version of Photoshop Elements after using my Nikon software because it doesn't have that capability.

I'd love to be able to simply ask "What's the best PP software", but I have seen from other posts that this is both very subjective and possibly an emotional topic for some
    Indeed. Don't bother asking.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 22nd October 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Yes Mike I did get my alphabet soups mixed up.

Cheers: Allan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12