Thread: Looking Glass Rock

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Looking Glass Rock

It was very hazy at this very long distance but I don't think I could do any better with the distant sky or mountains behind the monolith so I let it go as it was. As it is, this is less than a good photographic image but perhaps has value for it's interesting appearance.

Looking Glass Rock is a pluton monolith in the Appalachian Mountains of western North Carolina. The mountain is located within Pisgah National Forest southwest of Asheville. Named for the way its granite face reflects the sunshine, it rises from the valley floor to an elevation of almost 4000 ft.

Trails from Forest Service Road lead to the top of the mountain. It is a moderate/strenuous trail climbing 1700 feet over 3.1 miles to its peak where panoramic views can be seen. There is a flat slab on the top, that can be used as a helipad.

Looking Glass Rock is a popular rock climbing destination. Whether it is free climbing, multi-pitch or aid climbing, dozens of routes traverse the South Face, North Face, Nose Area, Sun Wall, Invisible Wall and Hidden Wall to the top of the mountain.

From the top of Looking Glass Rock, panoramic views can be seen of the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding mountains of Transylvania County.

Looking Glass Rock

Real Name
    John

Re: Looking Glass Rock

I can see why it's a magnet for climbers Frank. I'd need the helipad.

Real Name
    Sergio

Looks like it would be worth the strenuous climb just to get to see the view from the top. Nice looking area.

Sergio

Real Name
    Grahame

I imagine you could get some interesting shots from below it depending upon access, still a views a view.

Grahame

Real Name
    Binnur

Nice and interesting area.Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

A great image

Real Name
    Dan

I like the overall perspective that this shot provides. Not an easy formation to photograph and make look nearly as interesting as it actually is.

I went to school in Clemson and spent a lot of time in Pisgah. Manage to pass through Clemson every couple of years but haven't been back to Pisgah for a long time. Need to get back there and shoot some waterfalls during fall colors season.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    I can see why it's a magnet for climbers Frank. I'd need the helipad.
    You and I as well! Thank you for posting the comment John.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by unmerited View Post
    Looks like it would be worth the strenuous climb just to get to see the view from the top. Nice looking area.

Sergio
    Although I've only seen it from a distance, it would be worth getting g a closer look Sergio.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    I imagine you could get some interesting shots from below it depending upon access, still a views a view.

Grahame
    I am wondering, Grahame, if there is a road that would get me in close for different shots?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Binnur and Nandakumar. thank you for viewing and taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I like the overall perspective that this shot provides. Not an easy formation to photograph and make look nearly as interesting as it actually is.

I went to school in Clemson and spent a lot of time in Pisgah. Manage to pass through Clemson every couple of years but haven't been back to Pisgah for a long time. Need to get back there and shoot some waterfalls during fall colors season.
    There are certainly plenty of waterfalls in the area Dan. I think you'd enjoy the experience.