Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Full Frame or Crop Frame for Wildlife?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Full Frame or Crop Frame for Wildlife?

The debate only really commences when you can no longer fill a full-frame with the lenses you want to lug around or can afford. Up to that point and a fair bit beyond it the FF is capable of producing better images with lower noise and over a greater range of ISO.

P.S. I have always fancied a Maserati Quattroporte GTS for the drive to work I think it would be a bit more comfortable than any F1 and more practical than a Ferrari.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 22nd February 2014 at 08:35 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    P.S. I have always fancied a Maserati Quattroporte GTS for the drive to work I think it would be a bit more comfortable than any F1 and more practical than a Ferrari.
    Ha - my dream car is faster than your dream car!

Full Frame or Crop Frame for Wildlife?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Ha - my dream car is faster than your dream car!

Full Frame or Crop Frame for Wildlife?
    If I win Lotto tonight I will try and buy he badge for you - up to you to buy the rest..

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    If I win Lotto tonight I will try and buy he badge for you - up to you to buy the rest..
    Sadly, even a lotto win wouldn't allow me to get one. I think even a set of tyres is something like $60,000

EDIT: Running costs ... http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...bugatti-veyron

Edit2: This lucky person can afford one now ... http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9753...-to-pocket-26m
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 22nd February 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Real Name
    John

Sadly, even a lotto win wouldn't allow me to get one. I think even a set of tyres is something like $60,000

EDIT: Running costs ... http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...bugatti-veyron

Edit2: This lucky person can afford one now ... http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9753...-to-pocket-26m
    You would find that most of the time you couldn't make even a slight dent in the performance Colin unless you went on track days. That would probably mean a set of tyres every go. I found that at a mere 150mph in an E-Type.People pull out to overtake and from junctions. There is a need to ease off in case they haven't appreciated the speed. A car that handles well on twisty roads is far more fun and no need for excess power as they wont be able to use it anyway. That can have it's moments too. Part cured me. 80mph round a blind bend due to a hedge on a clear way road. Done many times but once some one had parked their car to give the dog a leak. Some one was coming the other way and fortunately for me stopped. Time slows down, pulse goes up like a rocket and an unbelievable surge of adrenalin resulting in a rather strange feeling for nearly and hour. Stig flat out style would just have hit the oncoming car. That was in a cheap 911. E-Type bought in the middle of a fuel crisis with a rather low offer.

These day on odd occasions I do run a car round bends near the limit for staying on the right side of the road but only when I can see what's there. and probably further away from the limit too than in my younger days.

Stupid 0-60mph times - I would suggest a 1200cc Susuki Bandit as not much will really touch it up to around 80mph. Some will think they can though. Expect about 22mpg - UK gallons. Unfortunately though old bones don't bounce so well as young ones. Sense said it had to go in my mid fifties. Not because of driving too fast on quiet days. The usual problem with bikes and fast cars - other road users when there is traffic about.

John
    -

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Me too. Sorry guys - BEEG MISTAKE - the NOT disappeared!

It is truly: I do NOT consider any member of CiC to be a game park travelling amateur!

( The statement without the NOT does not make sense in English. Or does it?)...
    Whoopsies. Actually in the English spoken on this side of the pond, the DO without the NOT adds emphasis to the statement. I thought maybe you were wigging out on us, Andre. Another trait of the ISTJ, remaining cool and calculating 99 percent of the time and then LOSING IT!

Real Name
    Dave

Good grief. I've been on holiday for a few days and I can't believe that this thread is still running (in fact l'm still on holiday) I hope we have a consensus - there are just so many factors to be taken into account, most of which have been mentioned, that it just depends. One thing I am sure of is that good glass will beat modest glass every time.

On the car front, I drive a modest BMW 120d, and it's a far better car than I am a driver

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Me too. Sorry guys - BEEG MISTAKE - the NOT disappeared!

It is truly: I do NOT consider any member of CiC to be a game park travelling amateur!

( The statement without the NOT does not make sense in English. Or does it?)

Sarosa, if you read the statement within the context you should not feel insulted.
    OK, then, if I ever take you into the everglades, I'll stick around to show you the way out

Real Name
    John

More cars.

The top end full frame full frame DSLR - bit like Rolls Royce UK style, big heavy, doesn't handle well so best have a chauffeur to drive it for you.

Other full frame DSLR's wanna bees - huge Citroen of the past intended to be cheap and for people with little money and large families.

Crop such as D7000 metal body, rather big and heavy, doesn't drive all that well. Many US cars especially of old.

Crop small light end eg Canon 100D. Like a Honda 50 bike. Fun, drives well but needs more wheels.

EM-5, EM1 - the Ferrari but hope they are more like Aston Martin - handle well on the road but don't break so often.

John
    -

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    The top end full frame full frame DSLR - bit like Rolls Royce UK style, big heavy, doesn't handle well so best have a chauffeur to drive it for you.
    I've never heard of a full frame full frame DSLR, but if we're talking top-of-the-line FF DSLR like the 1D X then I'd say more like the Bugatti Veyron; heavy but powerful, and handles beautifully.

Crop small light end eg Canon 100D. Like a Honda 50 bike. Fun, drives well but needs more wheels.
    That's what I'd refer to an EOS-M as.

EM-5, EM1 - the Ferrari but hope they are more like Aston Martin - handle well on the road but don't break so often.
    Pffffft!

***falls of chair laughing ***

Olympus being equated with a Ferrari

*** falls of chair laughing again ***

More like a Toyota Starlet ...

Real Name
    Andre Burger

I don't get the analogy; if it's OK to learn to drive in a Ferrari, why can't one learn to shoot on a FF Pro camera?
    You don’t learn to drive, in a Ferrari. First you learn to drive and then you learn to drive a Ferrari.
    Having a drivers licence does not mean you can drive a car.

I have seen Pro cameras advertised “Urgent sale – too complicated.”
    Damn, how do you get this thing in Auto Mode?

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post
    OK, then, if I ever take you into the everglades, I'll stick around to show you the way out
    Thanks Brian. Sorry cannot do the same for you in the Namib - I will be as lost as you are.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Like a Honda 50 bike.
    Now that one, I have first hand experience of.
    Always wanted one of those when I was still at school. My dad refused to buy me one with the excuse it is dangerous and he will not buy me a bike to get myself killed.

A few years after school I bought myself one of those. A Honda all terrain 50cc. A red one.
    My personal opinion of it: Useless- always get wet when it rains, freezing cold in winter, horribly dangerous riding on a public road, always needed some help to go uphill and simply could not take me where I wanted to go.

It cured me permanently of the desire to ever again own anything on two wheels.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

More like a Toyota Starlet ...
    Sorry Colin I have to disagree with that.
    EM-5, EM1 reminds me of a car called Austin Marina, was made by a company called Leyland. The company ended up in the hands of a German company. And that brings me back to: “If only I could afford that Leica s2.”

Now I know what the reason might be for recommending a crop factor camera for its reach when someone asks about an opinion on upgrading to FF. I smell a little green eyed monster in that advice.

Real Name
    John

Sorry Colin I have to disagree with that.
    EM-5, EM1 reminds me of a car called Austin Marina, was made by a company called Leyland. The company ended up in the hands of a German company. And that brings me back to: “If only I could afford that Leica s2.”

Now I know what the reason might be for recommending a crop factor camera for its reach when someone asks about an opinion on upgrading to FF. I smell a little green eyed monster in that advice.
    Something else neither of you have driven then only this time a camera.

Basically they are the only ones that make full use of available technology.

John
    -

Real Name

You don’t learn to drive, in a Ferrari. First you learn to drive and then you learn to drive a Ferrari.
    Perhaps, but earlier you posted ...

You can have a Ferrari 458 Italia custom built to suit your requirements. Get one of those and go to The Stig for driving lessons so he can teach you how to catch a Mini with a Ferrari.
    Having a drivers licence does not mean you can drive a car.
    Funnily enough, my eldest daughter has just got her restricted licence, and I've been saying much the same thing ("that you don't really learn to drive until you have your licence") (that's when you have to make all of your own decisions, and also live with the consequences of them).

I have seen Pro cameras advertised “Urgent sale – too complicated.”
    Damn, how do you get this thing in Auto Mode?
    I've had a few people over the years ask me about this one, and I jumped straight from a 20D to a 1D. It probably depends on the person -- for me, I loved it.

Real Name

EM-5, EM1 reminds me of a car called Austin Marina
    I stand corrected

(I remember it well - was very much "in my time") (heck, I got my licence in a Morris Minor!)

I looked at some of his exif's and found D3,D35 and D300. 550mm on the D3 on one. 400mm on the D300 on another, Maybe the 550mm is via a 2x converter. I wasn't aware that nikon did a 550mm. If they could be found he may also use 2x 400 on crop.

John
    -
    Greg have used from Film camera's and currently use D4 and a few other bodies as well as Df. The Df have a fantastic sensor and ISO performance. I have the Df and use it for all kinds of photography including Wildlife due to the fantastic high ISO performance. Greg has access to many lenses and I am sure he used the full range, However, for some time he used the old 80-400 and the 200-400f4 with a TC 1.4 (550mm). Greg has a very specific style that is not overly dependant on high resolution or 50mp detail. Composition and light and telling a story not about the subject only buy about the process and place of capturing the images. The kind of work he does like most professionals who is driven by the art and not the technology. Technology is a tool not the object. He used the D300 DX/Crop sensor for some time but FF/FX sensor output is one of the strengths of Nikon technology, The Dynamic range and ISO performance are the main factors. In my view, Nikon DX camera's like the D7200 is like a D810 in DX format. Don't think Nikon will chase Canon 7Dii as the focus is on image quality and not speed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345