Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Disney Hall, Los Angeles, CA

Disney Hall, Los Angeles, CA

Haven't posted for a while as I've been plotting my move to full frme. Here are some shots from my first outing with my new Nikon D700.

1. D700 & 17-35 f/2.8

2. D700 & 17-35 f/2.8

3. D700 & 28 f/2.8 AIS

4. D700 & 28 f/2.8 AIS

Re: Disney Hall, Los Angeles, CA

All are very nice. #2 is my favorite as I think the subject lends itself well to B&W with those beautiful tones. All those curves are so nice to look at, so smooth and flowing. They're almost real enough to make me dizzy!

How bizarre, I was only looking at another blog http://web.me.com/johnbarclayphoto/J..._Hall_III.html just a few minutes before coming here - a building I had never heard of or seen photo's of before.

Great shots - I really like #3. Nice work.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

eNo

Wonderful. Like Terry, and based on nothing more than personal preference because they're all 'A' class, #2 is the one I can't take my eyes off. Such a broad range of tone and spread from shadow to highlight, - you've really nailed it. And that's before we get on to talking about the composition. Beautiful.

One point. Did you crop on the left hand side? In other words, is there anything that could come back in to prevent the structure at the mid left going out-of-frame? Would it work if there was?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    eNo

Wonderful. Like Terry, and based on nothing more than personal preference because they're all 'A' class, #2 is the one I can't take my eyes off. Such a broad range of tone and spread from shadow to highlight, - you've really nailed it. And that's before we get on to talking about the composition. Beautiful.

One point. Did you crop on the left hand side? In other words, is there anything that could come back in to prevent the structure at the mid left going out-of-frame? Would it work if there was?
    Thanks, Donald (and others) for your kind comments.

Donald - for #2, I only cropped from the bottom to get closer to an 11x14 aspect ratio, since I'm considering this shot for my gallery as a print. I took a couple of shots of this composition, and this came out the best. I couldn't include more on the left without including distractions (tourists, other non-building items, etc.)

Excellent shots. Wonderful rich colour and contrast. I prefer #1 as it has the best composition, but they are all very good. You see, you can shoot in harsh light!

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Excellent shots. Wonderful rich colour and contrast. I prefer #1 as it has the best composition, but they are all very good. You see, you can shoot in harsh light!
    Thanks. Yes, harsh light is usable, even when you have bright glare and deep shadows staring back at you. I will say that for some subjects, like flowers, I always try to shoot in muted lighting, which you can still achieve in midday so long as you shoot in the shade.