Some of my pictures
    1. Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal
    2. Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal
    3. Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal
    4. Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal
    5. Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal
    6. Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal
    7. Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 27th August 2008 at 01:57 PM.

Re: Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal

the first pic looks incomplete! like its been cut with a scissors on the right side. the second pic shows, the man pierced with a spear on his tummy, arm! and you,on your part, have chopped of his limbs with your camera! the third pic,shooting angle does not help the pic to attract a viewer attention! weird shooting angles are good for architecture fourth pic i have already commented! the fifth pic has tremendous potential to be called a good pic....comfortable expression on all ppl caught well good compostion too. focus needs attention. the last pic is my favorite.....the extreme wide angle is well used except for that too much foreground and too less on the top part of the pic less of the table and more above the tree could have been pleasant.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    Man. I like your comments.
    I go now and have lunch. Later I will be writting you about your comments.
    Where the hell are your pictures for me to criticize ???
    After lunch then
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 27th August 2008 at 01:21 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

What is very curious is that everytime you say you don't like or you don't think the composition is good or whatever, you put a .
    Good. It seems like: forgive me for what I say.
    Well, as far as I am concerned you are excused and go on with your comments.
    the first pic looks incomplete! like its been cut with a scissors on the right side. ...

What else could I do if I was using - hand holding - a 24-70 ?
    I had to crop some where. Why not here ?
    You can probably find that I could have croped on location placing the altar more to the right of the picture. Or to the left. May be. But the picture is not that bad.
    It is not perfect, no. If I could do better ? YES, I do better. I can do better. I do know how to. But with more time.

the second pic shows, the man pierced with a spear on his tummy, arm! and you,on your part, have chopped of his limbs with your camera!...

Again this is not a bad picture. Better ? Yes it is possible. And I could do it if in assignment.
    But - here come my excuses - the statue is 1/1 size and it's base stands at my chest level.
    I had no other lens - which lens should I use ? - and little room to get away and make a less wide angle shot.
    Remember that I was using the full frame Canon 5D where 24mm is 24 mm for real.

... the third pic,shooting angle does not help the pic to attract a viewer attention! weird shooting angles are good for architecture ...
    Again the same problem - if it is a problem. I like the lines and the focus on the lady.
    Good light and good work in Lightroom.
    BTW: I have been Architect for 30 years now, you see...

...fourth pic i have already commented!...

Thanks, yes you have.

...the fifth pic has tremendous potential to be called a good pic....comfortable expression on all ppl caught well good compostion too. focus needs attention. the last pic is my favorite.....the extreme wide angle is well used except for that too much foreground and too less on the top part of the pic less of the table and more above the tree could have been pleasant.

I was using the 15 mm lens on my FF cam for the first time while my friends were chimping on other another camera.
    Unfortunately I was more taking a look at the lens than anything else. I can tell you that I was very sorry I had not taken advantage of the fact and shot much more pictures around the restaurant, using the tripod and/or the flash for example.
    Of the food for example we have eaten.
    The conversation was about photography and I forgot the lens. Meanwhile I had already returned it to the owner, the one who is holding the cam.

What about number 6 and 7 ?
    Or am I missing something ?
    Don't you like the fabulous use of the flash in this picture ?
    And the flash on the tram way, the guy is in focus.
    Don't you ask me how I did it ? Where was the flash ? AI Servo or AI Focus ? Aperture priority or Manual ?

I am waiting to see your pictures - hidden and away from critic - and your comments.

Don't be offended as I am not. I am difficult to offend.
    I could post more pictures but I wait you "beat" the other ones.
    I am waiting.
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 6th September 2008 at 01:00 PM.

Good Response Antonio....I like your pictures and your approach.....

I agree that to offer rather harsh criticism yet never post anything but photo criticism, makes us stop posting pictures and go elsewhere....

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by willgoss View Post
    Good Response Antonio....I like your pictures and your approach..... I agree that to offer rather harsh criticism yet never post anything but photo criticism, makes us stop posting pictures and go elsewhere....
    Negative Willgoss. Negative.
    I'll keep posting, no matter what.
    That is if the Admin let me keep doing so ... which I think he will as I have done nothing wrong.

Thank you for commenting.

Anyway, a critic can be - can be - someone who doesn't shoot, but only critics.
    Look at those who make local or international political analysis... They may not be politicians themselves ...

Let our friend tell us if he also takes pictures or he only makes critics... and at what level.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Antonio,

The first three blew me away, I see them as valid photographs nicely framed and I don't see how they could be improved upon, in any way.

Taxi driver is fine, I might have burned in the highlight in the 'Vee' of tree branches down a stop or so, just so it wasn't the brightest thing in the picture.

If an attractive girl like that waved at me, I'd probably take her picture too
    Technically it's good.

No. 6 might be improved by rotating the world by 60 degrees counter clockwise to get a better sun angle in the scene just before it sets.
    No, seriously, it is a perfectly acceptable shot of a friend at a location, and I'd be pleased with it if I had taken it.

... and finally, a nice shot from what looks to be a decent lens on a good camera.
    As a test shot, I found it useful to see what can be achieved - I am pleasantly surprised at the sharpness and detail visible. Sure, as you say, taken at the beginning of a meal with food on the table would be better, but that wasn't when you had the lens.

So all in all, that's only one out of seven I would have made a small adjustment to, you should be proud of them (I hope you are).

Keep them coming, Dave

Not sure what went on with the multiple replies to taken though, once was enough.

Real Name
    António Correia

It is late in the evening and I am not in the mood to write.

Sorry. Tomorrow however, I will drop some lines with much pleasure.
    The 2 messages were an error I have corrected just now. I don't know how I did it...
    Never mind. See you tomorrow then.
    Thank for the comment.

Sleep well with nice dreams ...

Real Name
    Ian

I do like Antonio's pictures, not just these, but the many others that have been posted and I have to say that he always takes the comments made in a very positive way.

Whilst everyone has the right to a view, I really believe that being critical has to be done in a way that remains positive, and is made from a standpoint of knowledge and constructively advises where improvements may be considered. Without the knowledge of why a shot was taken in a certain way, the criticism might well be invalid.

I was interested also in this thread because of the mention of Scott Kelby, who has a number of respected books to his name and whose opinion is well regarded. Antonio, would you care to comment on this aspect? Did he give any tips and hints or was it purely social?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    I was interested also in this thread because of the mention of Scott Kelby, who has a number of respected books to his name and whose opinion is well regarded. Antonio, would you care to comment on this aspect? Did he give any tips and hints or was it purely social?
    Of course, I thought that name sounded familiar.
    I read one of his books on PS Elements 5 (before the PSE 6 one was out) and had a look on his website.

.. and I quite agree with the rest of your post Ian.

mrantonio i like your approach towards photography you are a good photographer,just need to develop that keen eye to visualize a pic,right in the head,before u peep thru the camera.......if you cant, then we all are still lucky cz we now shoot digital, and have ps to tweak around i use this smileys to make my comments friendly and acceptable,cz critique comments are always,mostly considered to be RUDE! i just love all pics,good,bad and the ugly type all pics can be improved....but y bother about improvement........cherish the moment

Real Name
    António Correia

Good morning Dave and everybody.
    Lots of writtings to begin this day ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Antonio, The first three blew me away, I see them as valid photographs nicely framed and I don't see how they could be improved upon, in any way. Taxi driver is fine, I might have burned in the highlight in the 'Vee' of tree branches down a stop or so, just so it wasn't the brightest thing in the picture...
    When I shot I didn't see that tree at all. I do see the background of my pictures in a glance, yes I do. But not at that detail.
    I could only see that tree when someone - here or elsewhere called my attention to it - and I am not - sorry - to clone it for the simple reason that I can't do it properly, in a nice way.
    I would spoil the photo and it wouldn't be a tree anymore, right ?
    The background is already one stop or more under exposed. In fact this photos are three others (?). Yes.
    One for the guy, another for the car and another for the background.
    Let me explain what I did in my clumsy English that will make you laugh for so many errors I make. Never mind.
    The layer of the guy is exposed just for himself as well as the color balance was calibrated the best I could.
    The car was adjusted to be possible to read the word Lisboa and to give density to the hole area, the painting of the car, and the green also.
    The back was darkened to make the car and the guy to pop.
    If youwatch carefully - don't please - you can see that I cloned in this area come colors in the back which were very distracting, like some blue which came out of no where.
    Then I "melted" the layers and here we are.
    Hi Antonio... If an attractive girl like that waved at me, I'd probably take her picture too
    Technically it's good....
    It was not the first shot I had from a situation like this.
    The first was louzy because I forgot the AI Servo and it was out of focus.
    Then, I saw another tram way coming and I got the camera ready as well as the flash.
    I can't remember - and I am not going to see now - if it was Manual or Aperture Priority. No. It must have been Aperture. More logical.
    Quick, quick, AI-Servo it is coming.
    Quick, quick, flash on. I was holding it at my left hand connected with the camera throught that Canon cable which extends the range only some 30 cms (sorry guys no inches).
    Then I shot may be two or three. This was good.
    As you may know, the 5D is not a sport camera and the flash takes time to re-generate. So one of the photos was blown out lacking the flash. But not the third.
    And I was working with the 580 EX II with fresh batteries.
    Hi Antonio...No. 6 might be improved by rotating the world by 60 degrees counter clockwise to get a better sun angle in the scene just before it sets.
    No, seriously, it is a perfectly acceptable shot of a friend at a location, and I'd be pleased with it if I had taken it...
    Again 3 layers. One for the background, one him and another for the lower part of the picture. Do you think it is lacking sharpness ?
    Hi Antonio...and finally, a nice shot from what looks to be a decent lens on a good camera.
    As a test shot, I found it useful to see what can be achieved - I am pleasantly surprised at the sharpness and detail visible. Sure, as you say, taken at the beginning of a meal with food on the table would be better, but that wasn't when you had the lens...
    I have loved this lens. Yesterday I shot with my 16-35 and the result at 16 is very different from the results with the 15 mm.
    However, it is only one mm difference. Rui Leal - the one who is chimpping - told me that the 15mm is not perspective corrected. Yes I think so too.
    I like the effect. Very cool, like the Americans say...
    Hi Antonio...So all in all, that's only one out of seven I would have made a small adjustment to, you should be proud of them (I hope you are).
    Keep them coming, Dave ...
    Yes I am proud of the pictures, I like them and I do like you to criticize. Makes me and you to improve and argue.

I surely make them coming. You bet.
    Thank you Dave for having the trouble to comment.
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 31st August 2008 at 09:53 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    ...Without the knowledge of why a shot was taken in a certain way, the criticism might well be invalid.
    I think it was a mere and simple action of, shall I say, propaganda ? Publicity ?
    No guide lines no hints, nothing.
    Just get together, elect a photo and I will choose among the presented ones all over the World, the best. The price is ... I can't remember as I am not going to win and never could.
    I have been there for the fun and the social.

Real Name
    António Correia

mrantonio i like your approach towards photography you are a good photographer,just need to develop that keen eye to visualize a pic,right in the head,before u peep thru the camera.......if you cant, then we all are still lucky cz we now shoot digital, and have ps to tweak around i use this smileys to make my comments friendly and acceptable,cz critique comments are always,mostly considered to be RUDE! i just love all pics,good,bad and the ugly type all pics can be improved....but y bother about improvement........cherish the moment

Taken, good morning.
    Oh well, Mr António. Is that for the age ? Or for the respect, the consideration, the quality of extraordinary pictures ?

You know taken, I am an impulsive guy. I take pictures as impulses.
    I look, I see, grab the camera, point, crop, position and bang.

I am not of those who is thinking how to shoot from here or from there for a long time.

Your comments are not rude. Don’t place the smilies – at leat for me – because they don’t matter … or almost.
    Critique more accurately. May be that is the best way ?

What do I know ? What am I saying ?

Have a good day Taken and be Healthy because Health is the best thing one can have.

Real Name

Antonio,

I hadn't realised you put SO much effort (with layers, etc.) into these pictures, it doesn't show - which is a compliment, because it shouldn't.

It does explain the depth to them, you are succeeding in making them 'pop'.

The time it must take pays off, I think.

Good evening, Dave

BTW, no I don't find #6 lacking in sharpness, not at the (approx.) 500px width above.

Real Name
    António Correia

Scott Kelby Photo Walk 2008 - Lisbon, Portugal

Antonio,
    I hadn't realised you put SO much effort (with layers, etc.) into these pictures, it doesn't show - which is a compliment, because it shouldn't.
    It does explain the depth to them, you are succeeding in making them 'pop'.
    The time it must take pays off, I think.
    Good evening, Dave
    BTW, no I don't find #6 lacking in sharpness, not at the (approx.) 500px width above.
    Hello Dave. How are you ?
    I do not invest that much in every picture. In some only I do such amount of work.
    In this set I invested in photos number 4 and 6 only.
    The others were jsut slight adjustments.

I work with Lightroom which I think is great.
    I really try to make my photos to pop.
    Thank you for the comments.
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 28th August 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Real Name

I am well thank you Antonio, I hope you are too.

By following links regarding the Scott Kelby Photowalk, I see there was one in my home town (Windsor) on 23rd August also. Lots of familiar places in the pictures on the Windsor Flickr link. It is a shame I didn't know in advance I could have contributed.

Although I actually spent the 23rd at the zoo, so expect to see some pictures of that in the next week or two, in the photo blog thread.

Keep that camera ready, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st August 2008 at 10:20 PM.