Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In Memoriam

In Memoriam

The Texas Peace Officers' Memorial at the state Capitol features two black polished stone columns, each triangular in section. In certain conditions, the columns appear one-dimensional and transparent:

In Memoriam

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: In Memoriam

Tom

That is quite amazing. And an excellent recording by you of the (I'm sure) unique features of this memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barry View Post
    In certain conditions, the columns appear one-dimensional and transparent.
    You did a splendid job of capturing that aspect of the memorial, it does truly seem to be one dimensional with the sky reflected along the center like it is. One minor suggestion though, it's leaning. There is some room to straighten it, but unfortunately that doesn't solve the issue completely. A little bit of perspective adjustment would help that.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    You did a splendid job of capturing that aspect of the memorial, it does truly seem to be one dimensional with the sky reflected along the center like it is. One minor suggestion though, it's leaning. There is some room to straighten it, but unfortunately that doesn't solve the issue completely. A little bit of perspective adjustment would help that.
    Thanks. I made my usual "mistake" of composing tightly. Believe me, the toppling-over perspective was corrected as much as possible without bumping the top of the columns against the edge of the frame. I had only the normal lens with me. A strong wide-angle would have enabled me to avoid the perspective problem. A state office building is only feet from the back of the memorial; I shot with my back to the building.

Addendum: The sky between the columns is not a reflection, it is the sky. The two columns are triangular in section. However, if you stand exactly between them, they appear to be one-dimensional and transparent, though what they are really doing is reflecting the clouds they are facing. Once you get past the illusion, you realise that the clouds reflected in the columns are not the same clouds as those behind them. It is quite startling and I believe it was the artist's intent to create the illusion.
    Last edited by Tom Barry; 14th February 2010 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks. I made my usual "mistake" of composing tightly. Believe me, the toppling-over perspective was corrected as much as possible without bumping the top of the columns against the edge of the frame. I had only the normal lens with me. A strong wide-angle would have enabled me to avoid the perspective problem. A state office building is only feet from the back of the memorial; I shot with my back to the building.
    I think the tight crop may actualy work better here and any fix involving perspective correction will tighten it up even further. I don't find the perspective as shot too bad, but fixing what little bit of distortion that's there helps straighten out the shot. Mind if I give it a whirl and post a suggested fix?

Addendum: The sky between the columns is not a reflection, it is the sky. The two columns are triangular in section. However, if you stand exactly between them, they appear to be one-dimensional and transparent, though what they are really doing is reflecting the clouds they are facing. Once you get past the illusion, you realise that the clouds reflected in the columns are not the same clouds as those behind them. It is quite startling and I believe it was the artist's intent to create the illusion.
    Thanks for adding that. That's interesting to know. The building at the bottom looked out of place compared to what little of the building is visible at the right edge, that's why I thought it was a reflection of a building behind you and you had stepped to the side to avoid being in the shot via your reflection in the polished stone, adding to the perspective issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    I think the tight crop may actualy work better here and any fix involving perspective correction will tighten it up even further. I don't find the perspective as shot too bad, but fixing what little bit of distortion that's there helps straighten out the shot. Mind if I give it a whirl and post a suggested fix?

Thanks for adding that. That's interesting to know. The building at the bottom looked out of place compared to what little of the building is visible at the right edge, that's why I thought it was a reflection of a building behind you and you had stepped to the side to avoid being in the shot via your reflection in the polished stone, adding to the perspective issues.
    Of course you may post another version. That's why we're here, right?

Of course you may post another version. That's why we're here, right?
    Yes, I just wanted to be certain. I'm new here and didn't want to step out of bounds. I'm in the middle of another project, it will be a little bit.

This is far from perfect, but you get the general idea. Another trick you can try when shooting, if the space in the area permits, is to step back and use a telephoto instead of being up close and trying a wide angle. I know that when space is limited and you can't get back far enough,you're stuck with the wide angle.

peace1.jpg

I know there was probably a better way to upload/insert the sample, but this was the only way I knew it would work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Texas Peace Officers' Memorial at the state Capitol features two black polished stone columns, each triangular in section. In certain conditions, the columns appear one-dimensional and transparent:
    In Memoriam

More clear view of the polished stone columns, does not look transparent
    Last edited by Ashwin; 15th February 2010 at 02:46 AM.

Hi,
    Cutting the upper side of a column its "subjective hight" is increased.(Gaussian Blur was applied)

peace1.jpg

Regards.
    Radu Dinu

Peace1.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 15th February 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Well, those were fun. However, Ashwin's version is far brighter than the existing conditions. The memorial itself was in shadow, which increased the illusion of transparency. Still, an enjoyable exercise, and I thank everyone for taking the time to look and participate. Here's the bog-standard front view, showing the uninspiring existing lighting as closely as I could. Nothing but a record shot:

In Memoriam