Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Light Meters Choice?

Real Name
    Rob

Light Meters Choice?

Hi All

Looking for feedback on good start-up light meters, in particular the Sekonic L-308S Flashmate Light Meter. Also could do with some on soft boxes. Do all boxes come standard with regard to their fitting onto the heads, in particular Elinchrom D-Lite 200/400 Twin Heads.

Thanks in Advance

Rob
    Last edited by robphoto; 8th February 2010 at 09:23 PM.

Re: Light Meters Choice?

Sekonics makes very nice light meters that are fairly easy to use. I use the Sekonic L-358 Flash Master myself and am very satisfied with it. The speed ring/bracket are available thru third parties for soft boxes. You're particular model from Elinchrom is discontinued but Chimera and Westcott has models that are made for your monolights.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Sp...1/N/4294550871

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I use a Sekonic (758DR in my case) - very happy with Sekonic products.

Real Name
    Richard

I use an "OLDIE BUT GOODIE" a Sekonic L-718 meter. This doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the more modern models but, it does what a meter is supposed to do - provide good exposure information. It can measure flash and/or ambient light and it has a 5 degree spot attachment. The meter requires the photographer to do a little brain work but, once the information is filtered through the gray matter in the photographer's head - correct exposure and or light balance can be nailed down.

I think that this model is about ten years old and may be a bit older than that. I purchased it used five years ago for less than $100 (USD). It cost over $350 when it was new. Cameras are not the only type photo equipment that depreciates. Just because a new model exposure meter, camera, lens or automobile appears on the sene; that doesn't mean that the older models suddenly are useless. I skipped an entire generation of Canon film SLR cameras, the EOS auto focus line. I continued shooting with manual focus A-1 and AE-1P models because they provided me with what I was looking for - good images. I didn't NEED to upgrade and did not until I switched to digital.

Real Name
    Pops

Well, I'm going to make many of you laugh. I use a GE DW58, (mid 1940s vintage) which gives me readings in LV or EV. It works fine for me.

Pops

Real Name
    Brian Phillips

I use a Sekonic 358. They run about $250, and are a great meter, and very popular.