Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Working on my PP skills (a student's photo)

Real Name
    Pops

Working on my PP skills (a student's photo)

I worked on a student's photograph last night, using selective processing. Until he came to class this morning, I didn't know what he had photographed, but I thought it was pretty neat.

I then went to work and selected the background, inverted the selection and cut the subject. From there I turned the background black and reinserted the subject.

I showed it to him during this morning's class and he thought it was pretty cool. He also told me how he got it. That I'm going to withhold for a bit, to see if somebody recognizes it.

C&C, of course.

Pops

Real Name
    Troy

Re: Working on my PP skills (a student's photo)

I believe that's a long exposure of one of the original windows screensavers? As for the PP, try selecting blue and deleting the inverse

Real Name
    Pops

I wanted to capture the chandelier, also, so chose the magic wand and argued with it until it did what I wanted.

Pops

Real Name
    Troy

In that case, shouldn't you be working more with curves since there is such a contrast in brightness between the blue thing and the reflection?

This is what I'm talking about:
    http://pwnage505.webs.com/ModernArt.psd

Real Name
    Pops

This was an exercise in using selective PP. The job of mashing about with the colors, curves, and such is the student's assignment for this week. ( In addition to his weekly dozen photographs. ) I did this to show him that a photo he didn't like was actually worth working on. He just had to SEE it.

Yours is nice. I notice you have the green halo around the chandelier, also. I fought that, until I just decided to forgo the arches and black it all. I'm anxious to see what the student does with his picture.

Would you mind posting yours up here, too?

Pops

Real Name
    Troy

Well, actually I decided against removing the green halo (using color selection) because it would contradict my previous statement of purely using curves, and such contradiction would make me look like a fool!

Anyway, here's the jpeg:

The halo gradient seems to be much more abrupt in the uploaded image.

Real Name
    Pops

This helps. I'll be using this as an example to compare to his, when he brings it in. I suspect he will not have it next Friday, as I was talking to his mother after class and they appear to have a pretty busy week already scheduled.

I haven't decided if the green halo adds or detracts from your version. I looked at it when I downloaded your first suggestion and mentioned it. When I look at this one, however, I think the soft glow from the chandelier might actually add to the image. hmmmm I'll have to look at it on the CRT, rather than these small LCD monitors I'm using just now. I think I'm scheduled for time on the big screen this weekend.

Thank you.

Pops

Real Name
    Troy

Yea, I have three LCDs and a CRT and they're all calibrated differently, simply because their construction differs. I really have to fine tune the brightness of final images so that it looks good on as many monitors as possible...what a drag Technology improves too quickly, yet too slowly.

Oh, was I right about the screensaver?

Hi,
    In my opinion the bulbs and the colour of them are not interesting.So with lasso tool,gradient and filter-motion blur in 15 min.I obtained what You see below

popsph.jpg

Regards
    Radu Dinu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 6th February 2010 at 02:18 PM.

I forgot excuse me!!! Then I moved the image on a new greater black blank file.My English writing took me more time than pp!?
    Radu Dinu

I dare to propose You this miniexercise of composition.
    Radu Dinu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Pops

I have the 3 LCDs calibrated fairly closely to one another. The CRT I haven't calibrated, because SWMBO has it calibrated to her tastes.

I have set up and then printed enough shots using this screen that I now know the differences between what the screen shows and what the print will show. Because I very seldom do portraiture, it works for me. Subtle color shifts on sunsets, rocks or motorcycles are not significant, eh?

Pops

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    Yea, I have three LCDs and a CRT and they're all calibrated differently, simply because their construction differs. I really have to fine tune the brightness of final images so that it looks good on as many monitors as possible...what a drag Technology improves too quickly, yet too slowly.
    Calibration only gets you so far - after that you have to reply on profiles to "pick up the slack" (which normally do a pretty good job) - unfortunately there's no way around having to shell out for a colorimeter