Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
    SMC Version (system): 1.1f

and I am thinking to upgrade.
    I don't want to go to Mac Pros - but may be I should - as they are too expensive but I think I will move to the iMac 27-inch with 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB.
    Shall I get the fastest processor the 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 or shall I keep the standart one ?

Which configuration do you sugest ?
    I am even thinking to get the standart processor but with the 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB.

The computer is mainly to work on photography.

Thank you for the tips

Real Name
    Chris

Re: New iMac ?

Antonio,
    I am in the same boat. My iMAC has 3GB of memory instead of the standard 2 and that helped a bit with CS4. I've never had trouble with processing speed- actions on my 12 MB (or even 100MB .psd) files seem to happen quickly. I have trouble getting on the computed as I'm in competition with 3 other heavy users (wife and kids) so I was toying with the idea of getting a small macbook pro with an external 24 inch monitor. The price tag is still a little steep I'd put 4GB onboard for sure.
    Chris

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you Chris.

In fact I want to upgrade not because I am changing my camera(s) but because my wife's computer still on Windows is rather old and she doesn't make much photography. So she doen't need a very fast machine.
    I myself I am rather keen on these things (read gadgets) and so...
    I am using the raw original files, not changing them to PNGs and I would like a large - I mean large - monitor.
    I have seen the new ones and oh boy ! they look great ! ...
    No kids around. My grand son will be born in May and there is still a long way until he gets old and comes to my own computer. But who knows ? With 5 years old he may...
    Thank you Chris

Antonio;

I have a similar machine (24" AluImac) 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. I have no problems with the processing times. Your cheapest option is to max out the RAM. I can certainly see why you are looking 27" mac and I suspect that will be my next computer and I will have the back facing forward. As for the pro you need to factor in a 30" cinema screen if you are going to get anywhere near the 27" on clarity...that is going to be costly. The pro is far less pretty too.

I have had to go for a rather expensive solution with the kids and all 3 have a windows laptop each. Unfortunately I have used a Mac for so long I forgot how much trouble a domestic windows machine can be. All 3 have software and hardware issues AND all three are from different manufacturers (samsung, toshiba and acer). In fact the Acer is by far the most robust.

Anyway back to electronics that work. If you buy that 27" you will see the green glow I emit from Portugal.

Anyway best of luck with whichever model you decide (what am I saying it's a Mac...you dont need luck its a Mac)

Steve

Hey. This is my 500th post..Happy Birthday to me, happy Birthday to me

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Antonio; I have a similar machine ...If you buy that 27" you will see the green glow I emit from Portugal.
    Anyway best of luck with whichever model you decide (what am I saying it's a Mac...you dont need luck its a Mac)
    Steve Hey. This is my 500th post..Happy Birthday to me, happy Birthday to me
    Hello Steve First my congratulations for your 500 th post. Hey. I am already on the 1.051 ! Times runs fast. I started May 2008 with no activity for a long time.
    I read in another thread, in another forum, that there are some issues with the 27".
    I was advised to wait some time until everything is fixed as it is supposed to be a hardware problem.
    Links:
    http://gizmodo.com/5464288/apple-pay...-27+inch-imacs
    http://gizmodo.com/tag/faultyimacsaga
    http://discussions.apple.com/forum.j...D=1114&start=0

Excuse me but I don't understand what you are referring to when you say about the green glow. Sorry. May be it is very obvious but I don't get it.

Thank you for writing these lines about my new iMac.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Hey. This is my 500th post..Happy Birthday to me, happy Birthday to me
    I'm afraid that in this digital world you need to get to 512 before your milestone can be officially recognised!

Real Name
    Pops

Green, as in "green with envy"

You will see it from this end of the world, also.

Pops

Real Name
    António Correia

I ended by getting the 27" Mac with 16 RAM in the beginning of July and I am quite happy with it.
    To make complex operations using multiple layers in CS5 it is fast enough.
    Of course as times passes and if - yes if - I change cameras things will get slower but for the time being...

But today I wanted to share with you this article.

I hope Colin will read it

In fact, it looks too much like under cover publicity.