Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just bought a Canon G11

Real Name
    Radu

Just bought a Canon G11

tired of carrying a bagful of equip with me all the time. so sold my dslr (400d + 2 lens) and bag and everything and bought a G11. also kept my cokin filters. snapped a 'clone' extension tube to be able to mount 58mm filters on it (from hong kong for 5 pounds).

absolutely loving it!

radu

Real Name
    John

Re: Just bought a Canon G11

Hi Radu,

Surprised you would give up all your equipment and not just keep the DSLR with one zoom lens.
    Last edited by McQ; 30th April 2010 at 02:56 AM.

Real Name
    Radu

one large-range zoom would be nice but from what i understand it tends to give huge abberations.

compact is cooler and lighter
    Last edited by McQ; 30th April 2010 at 02:56 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by BZChi7d View Post
    one large-range zoom would be nice but from what i understand it tends to give huge abberations.
    For what it's worth, my Nikon DSLR's 18-200mm has far less abberations (particularly CA) than the same range zoom on my Fuji bridge camera, although that wasn't often a huge problem. I can't speak for the G11, it may well be fine in this respect.

Regardless, I wish you good luck with it, the photographer's skill has far more effect on what's produced thaan the camera.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Radu

thank you!

From what I have seen that G11 is an amazing piece of equipment, somewhere on the web (I wished I saved the link) someone had done a side by side comparison (same shots shot from a tripod on various subjects) with the G11 and a digital Hasselblad, the results were nothing but amazing. Sure the large format did have some advantages but the G11 shots looked so very close and you would have thought the G11 shots were taken with a high end SLR. Anyway, I think that is the same route I'm going as I really can't afford an SLR kit at the moment so .......

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by exempt View Post
    somewhere on the web (I wished I saved the link) someone had done a side by side comparison (same shots shot from a tripod on various subjects) with the G11 and a digital Hasselblad, the results were nothing but amazing.
    Ask and yeah shall receive

Just bought a Canon G11
    I just bought some compost. I think you got the better deal...

Let's see the shots then...

I got a G11 to go alongside my 400D. I love mine too.

Shooting in raw I find it a bit hard to avoid harsh steps around near-burn-out highlights and quarter tones, but that's the only IQ quirk I've noticed so far (after ~7 months).

Real Name
    umashankar

Quote Originally Posted by BZChi7d View Post
    tired of carrying a bagful of equip with me all the time. so sold my dslr (400d + 2 lens) and bag and everything and bought a G11. also kept my cokin filters. snapped a 'clone' extension tube to be able to mount 58mm filters on it (from hong kong for 5 pounds).

absolutely loving it!
    An Iphone would have been a better upgrade. Shocking you missed it!