Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand any location suggestions?

Real Name
    Peter

Re: New Zealand any location suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Delighted to hear you enjoyed it all. You seem to have visited most of the prime spots. At Glenorchy you were very close to Paradise - did you get there?
    Tell me what did I miss ? Paradise near Glenorchy, all of NZ is Paradise isn't it

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    Tell me what did I miss ? Paradise near Glenorchy, all of NZ is Paradise isn't it
    Nelson!

http://www.pbase.com/cjsouthern/canv...ons_horizontal

Real Name
    Peter

Delighted to hear you enjoyed it all. You seem to have visited most of the prime spots. At Glenorchy you were very close to Paradise - did you get there?
    I had to search the tinternet (sic) for Paradise, I missed that programme which; is why your comment initially had me puzzled. I now understand and suspect I may have walked through part of Paradise without knowing it 😉

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I had to search the tinternet (sic) for Paradise, I missed that programme which; is why your comment initially had me puzzled. I now understand and suspect I may have walked through part of Paradise without knowing it 
    Sorry I was so cryptic. There is a Glenorchy Paradise Road that proceeds NW from Glenorchy to an area called Paradise. The main thing is you enjoyed your trip but where are the photographs? Oops I remember seeing your great shot of the Pukeko family with a fish. Looking forward to seeing more pix from the trip.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

where are the photographs?
    Ya gotta be quicker on the uptake, L. Paul. See this.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Ya gotta be quicker on the uptake, L. Paul. See this.
    Don't rush me Mike - it is morning here and I will not be in top gear for another few hours. In fact while you were writing this I was contemporaneously viewing the post in question. After I use a long word I treat myself to a cup of tea or something stronger.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

After I use a long word I treat myself to a cup of tea or something stronger.
    That's the difference between you and me. I don't know any long words and struggle with the words that have more than two sylabals.

Real Name
    Peter

It seems such a long time since I first raised this thread. But I've now booked flights (31st January to 13th March) for a return trip back to New Zealand. This time we shall be spending more time in New Zealand with a short stop in OZ (last four days) on our return journey to catch up with the "Rellies" who are all from good convict stock

As part of our itinerary planning I decided to revisit the suggestions in this thread to assist with the thought process. Sadly whilst in 2014 the people who responded originally were active on here, some now seem not to be. But I'm sure some people will have suggestions on where to consider for the itinerary. Whilst the flights are booked the time spent on the North and South of New Zealand are currently fluid. I will of course be taking some camera kit with me.

Real Name
    Richard

Wow! I did not look at the dates and thought Colin Southern is back wit us again. Too bad he is not!

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Wow! I did not look at the dates and thought Colin Southern is back wit us again. Too bad he is not!
    Plus 1 from me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

As part of our itinerary planning I decided to revisit the suggestions in this thread to assist with the thought process. Sadly whilst in 2014 the people who responded originally were active on here, some now seem not to be. But I'm sure some people will have suggestions on where to consider for the itinerary.
    You'd be surprised, of the NZ dwellers; Ken (KenMT) and Paul (pnodrog) are still active and even Robin (rawill) was here in June this year (2016).

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Yes - he's sorely missed

Real Name
    Ken

Yes, I am still here, and thinking about options. At that time we will be in Stewart Island for 10 days with a number of members of our photographic group (Nature Photography Society). However looking at your last itinerary you covered much of the South Island, but I suggest Fiordland going south from Hokitika,(SH6) through the Haast Pass, to Wanaka, then to Invercargill, and along the south coast through the Catlins, to Balclutha. Follow up to Dunedin, (SH1)then up to through central Otago (SH87)to Cromwell, and take the Lindis Pass SH8) through to South Canterbury, check on Mt Cook and the Hooker glacier. Go through Fairlie, Geraldine, and take the inland road (SH72)through the upper Rakaia Gorge and down to Christchurch. Following that you could go to Hanmer,(SH7) through the Lewis Pass, to Springs Junction, up the Shenandoah (SH65)to Murchison, then through to Nelson(SH6). While there go to Golden Bay,(SH60) to Collingwood, Farewell Spit, and Totaranui.
    That's my suggestion for the a South Island, but then I am biased.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    You'd be surprised, of the NZ dwellers; Ken (KenMT) and Paul (pnodrog) are still active and even Robin (rawill) was here in June this year (2016).
    If it weren't for golf and the list of chores my wife gives me I would not be very active at all...

Peter I know you liked Napier but what else did you see and enjoy last time? Are you flying into Auckland and leaving via Christchurch or in some other order?

The possible list is long and only takes a few years of furious driving. It will depend on how much time you want to allocate to the North Island whether it is worth heading north of Auckland or not. I will make some suggestions once I am a bit better informed about your overall timing.

Real Name
    Val Mansfield

We will be in NZ whilst you are there (Feb 24th to April 4th). Our itinerary can be seen at https://www.tripit.com/p/01D2EE33A2C...8E956DFB513441

It is mostly old stuff for us as we will have two Thai friends with us making their first trip to NZ.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . a short stop in OZ (last four days) on our return journey to catch up with the "Rellies" who are all from good convict stock . . .
    Where in OZ?

What dates?

Is all the time to be spent catching up with Rellies?

WW

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    Yes, I am still here, and thinking about options. At that time we will be in Stewart Island for 10 days with a number of members of our photographic group (Nature Photography Society). However looking at your last itinerary you covered much of the South Island, but I suggest Fiordland going south from Hokitika,(SH6) through the Haast Pass, to Wanaka, then to Invercargill, and along the south coast through the Catlins, to Balclutha. Follow up to Dunedin, (SH1)then up to through central Otago (SH87)to Cromwell, and take the Lindis Pass SH8) through to South Canterbury, check on Mt Cook and the Hooker glacier. Go through Fairlie, Geraldine, and take the inland road (SH72)through the upper Rakaia Gorge and down to Christchurch. Following that you could go to Hanmer,(SH7) through the Lewis Pass, to Springs Junction, up the Shenandoah (SH65)to Murchison, then through to Nelson(SH6). While there go to Golden Bay,(SH60) to Collingwood, Farewell Spit, and Totaranui.
    That's my suggestion for the a South Island, but then I am biased.
    Thanks Ken, I will have to get the maps out and will look at your suggestions, thanks again.

Real Name
    Peter

If it weren't for golf and the list of chores my wife gives me I would not be very active at all...

Peter I know you liked Napier but what else did you see and enjoy last time? Are you flying into Auckland and leaving via Christchurch or in some other order?

The possible list is long and only takes a few years of furious driving. It will depend on how much time you want to allocate to the North Island whether it is worth heading north of Auckland or not. I will make some suggestions once I am a bit better informed about your overall timing.

Paul,
    We fly in to Auckland where we intend to stay for as couple of days, just to acclimatise and get used to ordering Fush rather than Fish . Hmm furious driving at 55 MPH, we will probably catch the Inter-islander ferry between North and South Islands, staying on the North Island for approximately two weeks.
    On our last visit we didn't go any further North than the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, we stayed in Paihia. But we didn't have time to visit Cape Reinga so I would be interested in your thoughts on going beyond the Bay of Islands. I'm probably going to be told to revisit the Bay of Islands and spend some more time in that area, we only had a couple of nights in Paihia so we probably didn't do the area justice. We also missed the Coromandel out on our last visit so that's probably an area we shall add to the itinerary.

So to summarise:- arrive Auckland, pick up a hire car touring and staying on the North Island for approximately 14 nights, to see some new places and possibly revisit Paihia to go North of it, returning South to end up in Wellington via the Coromandel with maybe two nights in Wellington to do tourist things. On our last visit we only stayed one night, arrived early evening left early the next morning so again we didn't do Wellington justice.
    Ferry to the South Island, Abel Tasman, Nelson, Picton then down the East coast to meet up with friends in Christchurch. We have yet to discuss a little tour with our friends I believe they would like to visit the Dunedin area but that's yet to be confirmed. We depart Christchurch on 9th March going to Sydney for three nights then we depart for home on the evening of 12th March.
    Any thoughts you have would be most welcome, it's difficult deciding where to go and what to see. It's just a great destination which if I had my time again I wouldn't hesitate to emigrate to, sadly I'm a bit long in the tooth to do so now .

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Where in OZ?

What dates?

Is all the time to be spent catching up with Rellies?

WW
    Bill we arrive in Sydney on the 9th March and leave on the 12th, it really is a flying visit to catch up with old friends and relatives. I may do the Bridge climb just so I can say I've stood on the steel that was mostly produced in my home town .

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Val Mansfield View Post
    We will be in NZ whilst you are there (Feb 24th to April 4th). Our itinerary can be seen at https://www.tripit.com/p/01D2EE33A2C...8E956DFB513441

It is mostly old stuff for us as we will have two Thai friends with us making their first trip to NZ.

Thanks Val, it looks like you're going to have a great trip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast