Thread: What lens for 450D

Real Name
    Brian Dion Canadian by birth

What lens for 450D

I have a canon 450D and was thinking about getting a 17-40 L len's. Can anyone tell me if is suttable for the 450.

Your's Thankfully
    Dion 47

By the way a brilliant site and the photo's what can one say.

Re: What lens

Quote Originally Posted by Dion 47 View Post
    I have a canon 450D and was thinking about getting a 17-40 L len's. Can anyone tell me if is suttable for the 450.

Your's Thankfully
    Dion 47

By the way a brilliant site and the photo's what can one say.
    Yes the 17-40 f4L is compatible with your camera. Any EF Canon mount will work across any of the Canon dslr line but EF-S mount lenses will only work on the smaller crop sensor (APS-C) cameras (7D and below).

Real Name
    Brian Dion Canadian by birth

Thank you for the advice Amberglass

Real Name
    Richard

As amberglass correctly stated, any EF lens will work with any EOS camera but, EFS lenses will work only with 1.6x cameras specifically designed for EFS lenses (which include all Rebel variations and all xxD models from the 20D on; including the 7D).

However, the fact that the 17-40L lens WILL WORK on a 1.6x camera doesn't necessarily mean that the 17-40L is the best lens for the 1.6x format. Although I consider the 17-40L to be an excellent wide angle lens for a full frame camera, I am not fond of this lens for a 1.6x camera since it is closer to a mid-range zoom for that format.

As a mid-range zoom, it lacks sufficient speed. The f/4 aperture without IS simply does not hack it as a mid-range zoom. Additionally, the 40mm side is not quite long enough for my tastes. The equivalent 64mm is pretty lukewarm and, IMO, is not long enough for head and shoulders portraiture.

The ideal lens is the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS but that is a pricey piece of glass and, despite its excellence, might be more than some photographers can or desire to spend. A less expensive alternative which also provides a constant f/2.8 aperture and a relatively decent focal length is the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. This lens is available with Tamron's version of IS which they call "VC" and in a non-stabilized version which is, of course, less expensive.

If you can afford it, I recommend the VC version since that stabilization makes this lens a viable low light glass. However, if money is a problem, the non-stabilized version should fill your needs quite well.