Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Looking Back

Real Name
    John

Looking Back

C+C very welcome for this pic. I took it on a recent trip to Morroco. I have created an album and I am trying to upload from the album. Not sure if ti will work but here goes.

img_3744aa.jpg
    Walshy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 28th January 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Re: Looking Back

Hello Walshy
    Your image transmits the feeling of the place. It is nice.
    Good work

Real Name
    Elie

Interesting capture.

I personally would crop it to square and convert to black and white.
    Perhaps also add some fill in light to the one side of man's face.

Quote Originally Posted by Walshy View Post
    C+C very welcome for this pic. I took it on a recent trip to Morroco. I have created an album and I am trying to upload from the album. Not sure if ti will work but here goes.
    Walshy
    I think you have posted this very picture for contest also...
    any how.. this is what I could do to improve the Photograph

Looking Back
    Last edited by Ashwin; 29th January 2010 at 03:41 AM.

Real Name
    John

All
    Thanks for your comments. Ashwin thanks also for your PP effort. I was however trying to make the focus of the shot my young Nephew's outstretched hand and the light on his face as he looked back.
    Thanks
    Walshy

Real Name
    Pete

Walshy, this is one of those shots that almost has you hearing the sounds and smelling the smells of the marketplace...not an easy thing to do (I've discovered). Well done. I actually like the original the best. It seems to lead my eyes down the corridor past the boy, though there are more details in ashwin's PP version. Guess it just depends on what you want to say.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    ... I actually like the original the best. It seems to lead my eyes down the corridor past the boy, though there are more details in ashwin's PP version. Guess it just depends on what you want to say.
    Oh yes. This leads to the question of what you want to say and what do you want to transmit, to pass to the other people who sees the image and even how you are feeling about it, the image.
    What a mess. Ley me try again.
    The first image is the best for me. Why ? Because there we can see the mood of the moment, the ambiance created in that street.
    And I know that it is right as I have been there, in Morocco.
    In spite of not being technically perfect or because of it, we can feel the mood of the moment - I told this before haven't I ? - and this makes me think that after mastering the technical matters we should move to the subjective aspect of photography, what we fill when we look at the image and if it is aesthetically pleasant to us depending on our own knowledge and culture.

The new trends on photography - and I know nothing about them - are not - this I am sure however - based on having everything perfect.
    I talk about my own images. They are too perfect. Anyone can do it. Even using a point and shoot you can do sharp and nice pictures.
    But when it comes to creation - to create an image based on none, one or some photographies - transmitting feelings and sensations is another matter.

Did I make myself clear ? Or was it just a mess and you haven't got a clue ? Clumsy English you know ...

-
    PS- Colin, please: At the end of the thread there used to be a link to see - in another window - the complete thread. This was very useful when commenting long threads. It is not there or I am missing it ? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Walshy, this is one of those shots that almost has you hearing the sounds and smelling the smells of the marketplace...not an easy thing to do (I've discovered). Well done. I actually like the original the best. It seems to lead my eyes down the corridor past the boy, though there are more details in ashwin's PP version. Guess it just depends on what you want to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by xeliex View Post
    Interesting capture.

I personally would crop it to square and convert to black and white.
    Perhaps also add some fill in light to the one side of man's face.

You are right, in original photograph it looks more real marketplace...
    since it is AGAINST light photography, I have added some fill in light to get some more details in otherwise dark area nothing else.
    Last edited by Ashwin; 4th February 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Real Name
    John

Thank you Hans, Antonio and Ashwin for your comments. I took the shot to capture the sunlight as it spilled into the alley. I agree with you Antonio when you say that it is not technically perfect but it does capture the mood of the Fez Medina. I purposely did not change the lighting in CS4 for that reason. The only PP was a bit of sharpening.
    Once again thank you all for your comments.
    Walshy