Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Load of Old Scrubbers

A Load of Old Scrubbers

No its not the Razzle Event! (come to think of it I used to quite like that)

A Load of Old Scrubbers

A Load of Old Scrubbers

A Load of Old Scrubbers

A Load of Old Scrubbers

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A Load of Old Scrubbers

That is brilliant.

The first one (because it's the first one) is the first one I saw (still with me?). As such, it made such an impact that my initial reaction to the others was 'not so good'. Which they don't deserve. Will come back to them later. But .... brilliant.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hmmm, not sure you're being very accurate here Steve - to me they look like a load of New scrubbers.

But that doesn't have the same ring to it.
    and I wouldn't want to see pictures of old (used) scrubbers - yuk

As Donald says; brilliant.

Here's an idea for a follow up;
    They are translucent right? So why not put them over holes cut in card and illuminated largely from below.

Cheers,

Hello Donald and Dave. 'Brilliant' is a pretty strong response. I am curious to know what it is that you find so brilliant about this. I know that a lot of people are enthusiastic about this sort of thing, but I've never understood why. Please don't get me wrong - this is a genuine question, and I really would like to know.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Will

There are a number of factors that result in me having no hesitation in saying 'brilliant'. I'm sure not everyone will agree, but that's the beauty of what we're involved in - different things appeal to different people. And, I think you're absolutely right - if we are going to express strong positive (or negative) responses to images, we should be able to justify these and say why. That, I think, is the cornerstone of constructive criticism.

The concept. As you say yourself, you know that some people are enthusiastic about this sort of thing. If you are one of those, I think you would feel the that having the idea in the first place is an act of inspiration and vision. If you're not one of those people, you'll think 'what a stupid idea it is to pile up some pot scrubbers and take a photo of them'. Either view is, I believe, perfectly legitimate

The execution of the idea. If you believe that exploring shape, colour and light is a legitimate exercise, then this is, I think, one example of that exercise. And, as such, I think it's hard to argue against these images being a very powerful, well thought-out and planned execution of that exercise. Whether you like them is another matter altogether.

The creativity. I think the colours used and the shapes created (not just by the pot-scrubbers, but by the black spaces between them) result in images that demonstrate a creative mind performing to a high standard. I find that the arrangements and organisation of the items, the lighting, the angles created are artistic. And I admire that enormously.

The technical knowledge. Ignoring the fact that I do not have the sort of mind that could/would have conceived of the idea, I do not possess the technical knowledge or skill to have carried it out. I am of the view that these images could only have been created by someone with a mastery of his/her equipment. And I admire that enormously.

The aesthetic. All of the above comes together, in my mind, as an expression of art. I consider these to be artistic images. I enjoy looking at them. They hold my interest and attention and invite me to explore (light, shape, texture).
    Last edited by Donald; 29th January 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Well said Donald.

I could not have put the words together nearly so eloquently to describe why I admire these images.

I think the creativity to conceive these images is what I appreciate the most.

Thanks for sharing.

Britt

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Cadebou View Post
    Well said Donald.

I could not have put the words together nearly so eloquently to describe why I admire these images.

I think the creativity to conceive these images is what I appreciate the most.

Thanks for sharing.

Britt
    DITTO and for me add the technical knowledge to pull it off. The shots look like they should be so simple ...... HA, just try it.

Firstly thank you for your comments on my efforts. As always it means a great deal that you guys take the trouble to comment and suggest improvements (I already have Dave's lighting suggestions booked for the next session with the lightbox) and as a relative beginner it helps me stay positive about exploring different themes.

I do not think I could have responded to Wills question as well as you guys have done. All I can add is that I enjoy this type of photography immensely and if people recognise that in my work it is very gratifying. As to people being enthusiastic about this type of stuff it depends on how you are wired. You cannot learn to like it. It either pushes your buttons or it does not. This applies to all images and that is the beauty of any imagery produced by humans. People perceive them in different ways and that is why it is exciting. If we all had the same reaction from a image it would cease to exist as an 'art' form. I cannot get my rocks off over most classic art but I fully appreciate the skill that goes into its creation it just does not instill an enhanced state of emotion in me. And thats fine.
    The first one (because it's the first one) is the first one I saw (still with me?). As such, it made such an impact that my initial reaction to the others was 'not so good'. Which they don't deserve
    Yea, thats me with the scatter gun. Most of my stuff is done in sets so I have this urge to show them as a set. I agree that a one off (perhaps the 4th) would have had much more impact.

Well I thought "brilliant" before I read the other threads.

I echo everything that Donald said, mainly because I could not have thought of saying it myself. )