Thread: B+W ND 3.0 (1000X) vs Hoya ND x400

Real Name
    Raj

B+W ND 3.0 (1000X) vs Hoya ND x400

Hello,
    I'm planning to buy an ND Filter. Short listed these 2 ND Filters.
    B+W ND 3.0 (1000X) & hoya nd x400

Please suggest Which one of them is worth to buy?

I'm well aware of the color cast with B+W (10 Stops) & Hoya (9 Stops) filter. What about the optical quality, flaring & resistance to scratches etc.

Any Another other brand which i can look for? I Have a limited budget.

Thank You.

Note : I did a good search on them on the forum but couldnt got an answer with these 2 specific brands.
    Last edited by fotugraphy; 16th December 2013 at 02:00 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: B+W ND 3.0 (1000X) vs Hoya ND x400

Unfortunately, there is very limited selection in filters with that density range. These filters are really sold into a very small market segment, so there is very limited choice out there. The only other one out there that I know of is the Lee Big Stopper (10-stop), but it is not a screw in design and the add-on Lee foundation kit and adaptor ring is going to cost you even more than the B+W or Hoya options.

I own the B+W 10-stop filter (77mm diameter variety) and in my testing have not found any issues with colour cast reported by some other testers. I've owned Hoya filters in the past, but don't own any now, so I can't comment on its performance. B+W filters use brass fittings and Schott optical glass. Hoya uses their own glass (they are the largest optical glass manufacturer) and uses cheaper aluminum mounts.

Real Name
    Phil Page

I have Hoya filters, but not the 400x. The mounts have fused with step up rings, which hasn't happened with any of my B+W's.

I'd go B+W

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Unfortunately, there is very limited selection in filters with that density range. These filters are really sold into a very small market segment, so there is very limited choice out there. The only other one out there that I know of is the Lee Big Stopper (10-stop), but it is not a screw in design and the add-on Lee foundation kit and adaptor ring is going to cost you even more than the B+W or Hoya options.

I own the B+W 10-stop filter (77mm diameter variety) and in my testing have not found any issues with colour cast reported by some other testers. I've owned Hoya filters in the past, but don't own any now, so I can't comment on its performance. B+W filters use brass fittings and Schott optical glass. Hoya uses their own glass (they are the largest optical glass manufacturer) and uses cheaper aluminum mounts.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have Tokina with 77mm filter diameter Lee big stopper is out of budget. I read mixed reviews about the optical quality for both compared to each other.... But i trust members of CiC more than google

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    I have Hoya filters, but not the 400x. The mounts have fused with step up rings, which hasn't happened with any of my B+W's.

I'd go B+W
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Got 2 positive suggestions for b+w here. I'm checking the best price for b+w filter online.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I have the B+W 10 stop, compared to the Lee it is a little warmer, however you will probably be shooting in RAW, so you can set your WB to whatever you like. I have found in the past that the Hoya filter seem to fuse more often than with the B+W. I would also suggest that you purchase one or two stepping rings depending on the filter size of any other lens you have so you can use the filter across the greatest number of lens. Not sure of the cost of B+W step-up or step-down rings, if you purchase the largest filter usually 77mm than the step rings that step down to allow fitting on smaller dia, filters.
    Enjoy your self with the filter as it is lots of fun.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

I bought a Lightcraft Workshop 9 stopper which in the UK was well received and less expensive than B+W. They primarily manufacture for the pro video industry but they have a limited range of screw in ND and variable ND filters. Mine is pretty neutral with perhaps a very slight blue shift but I have also purchased an opaque lens cap and set up a custom in camera white balance for it. Can't fault its performance so far. Their site is below and they seem to have dealerships in most areas of the world.

http://www.lcfilter.com/#!prime-nd/c1622

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    I have the B+W 10 stop, compared to the Lee it is a little warmer, however you will probably be shooting in RAW, so you can set your WB to whatever you like. I have found in the past that the Hoya filter seem to fuse more often than with the B+W. I would also suggest that you purchase one or two stepping rings depending on the filter size of any other lens you have so you can use the filter across the greatest number of lens. Not sure of the cost of B+W step-up or step-down rings, if you purchase the largest filter usually 77mm than the step rings that step down to allow fitting on smaller dia, filters.
    Enjoy your self with the filter as it is lots of fun.

Cheers: Allan
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion on the filters and the stepup &step-down rings. It will really help me to use same filter on different lens. Lemme check if 77mm-55mm step-down is available. Will order that too

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    I bought a Lightcraft Workshop 9 stopper which in the UK was well received and less expensive than B+W. They primarily manufacture for the pro video industry but they have a limited range of screw in ND and variable ND filters. Mine is pretty neutral with perhaps a very slight blue shift but I have also purchased an opaque lens cap and set up a custom in camera white balance for it. Can't fault its performance so far. Their site is below and they seem to have dealerships in most areas of the world.

http://www.lcfilter.com/#!prime-nd/c1622
    Thanks for the suggestion. 77mm lcfilter is not available on ebay and amazon will not ship their products to India.

Real Name
    J stands for John

You may find that you need two stepdown rings ...I have 72>55.
    Thinking about the Lee holder and its expense... if one knows, see below. the size of the filter I wonder if it would fit in one of the numerous makes of holder which are often found at auction sites at quite reasonable prices. Normally woth these holders there are three parts. The holder for the filter, the filter, and an adaptor ring behind the holder. The holder comes is three sizes "A" "P" and 100mmx100mm .... the Lee 'Big Stopper' is 100x100. and priced at UKP 104.95 ... the holder is UKP59. To read up on them I suggest you go to www.SRB-Griturn.com and work you way through their catalog. I have dealt with them and have a colored hard copy from my last purchase. Prices quoted from it and I am not sure how old it is The adaptor ring is UKP20 for the standard version and UKP40 for the Wide -angle lens version.
    There is also I see the 10 stop Hi-tech version for UKP72 in the 100x100 size or UKP48 in the 'P' size [85mm]
    SRB also have their own line of filters but when I stacked three of them I got a bad cast, pink and make A and P holders but not the 100x100.
    With a 55 lens thread you can use the smallest holder but it looks as if you will need a P holder for the Big stopper or equivalent.
    Since you need to remove your lens hood to mount the holder you may need to think about a lens hood. The holder has three or four slots and you can get, or make as I did, a lenshood with a slide to suit the holder. [UKP 105<209 dependiong on model]

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    You may find that you need two stepdown rings ...I have 72>55.
    Thinking about the Lee holder and its expense... if one knows, see below. the size of the filter I wonder if it would fit in one of the numerous makes of holder which are often found at auction sites at quite reasonable prices. Normally woth these holders there are three parts. The holder for the filter, the filter, and an adaptor ring behind the holder. The holder comes is three sizes "A" "P" and 100mmx100mm .... the Lee 'Big Stopper' is 100x100. and priced at UKP 104.95 ... the holder is UKP59. To read up on them I suggest you go to www.SRB-Griturn.com and work you way through their catalog. I have dealt with them and have a colored hard copy from my last purchase. Prices quoted from it and I am not sure how old it is The adaptor ring is UKP20 for the standard version and UKP40 for the Wide -angle lens version.
    There is also I see the 10 stop Hi-tech version for UKP72 in the 100x100 size or UKP48 in the 'P' size [85mm]
    SRB also have their own line of filters but when I stacked three of them I got a bad cast, pink and make A and P holders but not the 100x100.
    With a 55 lens thread you can use the smallest holder but it looks as if you will need a P holder for the Big stopper or equivalent.
    Since you need to remove your lens hood to mount the holder you may need to think about a lens hood. The holder has three or four slots and you can get, or make as I did, a lenshood with a slide to suit the holder. [UKP 105<209 dependiong on model]
    Thanks for the suggestion and providing great information about it. Will surely visit their site for the adaptors as i have ordered b+w 77mm few min. back.

Real Name
    Raj

Thanks a lot everyone for the suggestions & infomation about the filters and step-down rings.

Ordered B+W 77mm ND 3.0.

Estimated delivery time: 17-30 days

Looking for the step down rings now.